Chicago Cubs 2019 Season

Thanks for the link and for not delving into politics. Based on your initial comment, I take it you won’t be consuming that channel?

giphy.gif

MLB.tv needs to find a deal to end blackout restrictions. Until then, I will find other means of watching. In Iowa City where I am currently located, I cannot watch any game featuring the Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Brewers, Twins, or Cardinals. It was similar when I was living in Wisconsin, Arkansas, Virginia, and Ohio. If MLB wants to make the game more accessible to fans, they need to step into modern times and technology.

Last edited:
Would Grandpa take bench coach if offered by Espada?

Espada probably has a lot of good choices, so it's probably a really dumb question, but I don't know the dynamics of the situation.

Would Grandpa take bench coach if offered by Espada?

Espada probably has a lot of good choices, so it's probably a really dumb question, but I don't know the dynamics of the situation.

I feel like if the Cubs were confident in choosing Ross, they would have offered him already.

I'm not sure of the logistics of hiring Ross on as bench coach, but I'm trying to imagine the dynamics of working for the person that management preferred over you.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I feel like if the Cubs were confident in choosing Ross, they would have offered him already.

I'm not sure of the logistics of hiring Ross on as bench coach, but I'm trying to imagine the dynamics of working for the person that management preferred over you.

cant remember where I heard this but it is speculated that if they make an announcement tomorrow, it’s Ross, if not, it’s Espada.

agree with your first comment, though.

giphy.gif

MLB.tv needs to find a deal to end blackout restrictions. Until then, I will find other means of watching. In Iowa City where I am currently located, I cannot watch any game featuring the Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Brewers, Twins, or Cardinals. It was similar when I was living in Wisconsin, Arkansas, Virginia, and Ohio. If MLB wants to make the game more accessible to fans, they need to step into modern times and technology.
What baseball team does MLB think you’re supposed to be watching?

Demographically, the area is mostly Cubs fans. Not sure what the cable channels offer though (cut the chord several years ago).

A part of wonders if they think I'm a transplant Mariners fan from my Ken Griffey Jr. fandom days growing up.

Last edited:

It's based on which teams are (ostensibly) available on cable or local options in his "market". Unfortunately for Ian, he lives in the worst state for this backwards policy. Iowa is the #1 worst state with all those teams blacked out state wide, since Iowa is "their" shared market. Pennsylvania is #2, depending on where you're at, with Orioles, Nationals, Pirates, Phillies, Cleveland, and both New York teams in places.

mlb.tv was originally intended as a "catch your favorite teams if you live elsewhere" option. I lived in Ohio for a summer in college and loved that I could watch the Cardinals on it. But they really need to update it's usefulness in the "cord cutting" era, where nobody has a cable login other than the one they stole from their parents.

Last edited:

ILL in IA

Iowa City
giphy.gif

I am in the Iowa City area as well. I stream with PSVue through my fire stick, also get it with an app on my phone and can cast. I get NBCSN Chicago, Fox Sports Midwest and North. Not sure if Marquee will be added, but from the sounds of it, you're ok with no. I think Youtube TV has the same lineup of channels. You get pretty much all of the teams you listed for a little over $50 a month.

Besides the baseball lineup, I also have BTN, FS1, all of ESPN.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
giphy.gif

What you could do is get MLB.TV and get a "hide your IP address" service. I had one when I lived in Scotland so I could watch and listen to things only available in the US. I think that hide your IP address service cost 5 bucks on month. You can pick your server so it will look like you live anywhere but where you are.

What you could do is get MLB.TV and get a "hide your IP address" service. I had one when I lived in Scotland so I could watch and listen to things only available in the US. I think that hide your IP address service cost 5 bucks on month. You can pick your server so it will look like you live anywhere but where you are.

Thanks bdutts! Great minds must think alike, as I have my "other means of watching."

giphy.gif

I am in the Iowa City area as well. I stream with PSVue through my fire stick, also get it with an app on my phone and can cast. I get NBCSN Chicago, Fox Sports Midwest and North. Not sure if Marquee will be added, but from the sounds of it, you're ok with no. I think Youtube TV has the same lineup of channels. You get pretty much all of the teams you listed for a little over $50 a month.

Besides the baseball lineup, I also have BTN, FS1, all of ESPN.

I appreciate the heads up, ILL in IA! Cheers from Iowa City!

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
I'll be happy for Ross as a person, but disappointed in the decision over Espada.

I'm honestly fine with either. I don't buy the "how can Ross manage his recent teammates?" concern - he was quasi-managing them while he was on the roster.

In a vacuum, does Espada have the higher ceiling as a manager? Plausible. Does Ross offer the lowest risk/highest reward for 2020 and 2021, with this group with this window? I think probably yes.

I'm honestly fine with either. I don't buy the "how can Ross manage his recent teammates?" concern - he was quasi-managing them while he was on the roster.

In a vacuum, does Espada have the higher ceiling as a manager? Plausible. Does Ross offer the lowest risk/highest reward for 2020 and 2021, with this group with this window? I think probably yes.

I'm with you on your first first point. He has an established track record in that role. He wouldn't be in the top 2 candidates if that was a legitimate concern.

That being said, Espada's experience coaching and balance between old/new school approach really excites me.

I suppose we shall wait and see!