Chicago Cubs 2020 Season

Both Little (4th round) and Carroway (2nd round) are hard throwing lefties that have garnered Billy Wagner and Aroldis Chapman comparisons respectively. They’re a complete 180 from Cubs drafting strategy for pitchers under Epstein, which has favorited polish over arm talent and starters over relievers.

Both are considered projects, but some have suggested that Carroway could debut in the Bigs as early as this year. Assuming there is a this year.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I like their 5 picks. But I wonder how free agency works since there are only 5 rounds. Is it a free for all to sign the rest of the undrafted talent? Is there a limit to how much they can earn as undrafted free agents?

Statement released tonight by Tony Clark:

Eaba6ZNXYAILP8u

This Twitter thread from a labor attorney is absolutely brutal on the owners. Maybe the guy is predisposed to siding with the players, but there’s a lot here that’s hard to justify on the owners’ side...

Thread

It looks like the owners came to their senses and finally made an offer that wasn’t an in-your-face screw job to the players. No deal yet, but you can see the outlines of one. I’m not going to say I’m optimistic, but I’m no longer hopeless.

The fact that the parties have gone silent in the hours since the last ownership offer is a really good sign. They’re negotiating with each other instead of in the press.

In other news why there likely won't be a season:
Not to hijack this but it clearly shows how important it is to test early and often. The MLB needs to have a major plan in place, probably daily testing for all players and staff. Honestly any sort of establishment should be doing this, given how quickly it can spread. I really hope colleges take the right precautions.

Not to hijack this but it clearly shows how important it is to test early and often. The MLB needs to have a major plan in place, probably daily testing for all players and staff. Honestly any sort of establishment should be doing this, given how quickly it can spread. I really hope colleges take the right precautions.

Your hijacking is appreciated and also put into words the origin to my frustrations with how bungled of an approach tackling this virus has been from the start.

Oh, and for the love of your fellow beings, please wear a mask.

36th anniversary of the "Sandberg Game," which would have gone down as the "Willie McGee Game" had things gone a little differently.

McGee went 4 for 6 with 6 RBI and hit for the cycle.

Sutter pitched 3.1 innings and gave up 3 ERs and of course the 2 HRs to Sandberg. For the rest of the season, he only gave up 18 ERs and 7 HRs over 119.1 innings. He was third place in the Cy Young vote behind Sutcliffe (16-1, 2.69 ERA) and Gooden (17-9, 2.60 ERA).

So it wasn't just that Sandberg went 5 for 6 with 2 HRS and 7 RBI on national television. It was that he got to Sutter during a year where no one was getting to Sutter.

Unsung hero: Rich Bordi. After Trout got run off the mound in only 1.1 innings, Bordi kept the Cubs in the game with 3.2 innings of 2-hit ball. Bordi was a solid long reliever/swing man all season for the Cubs, putting up a 3.46 ERA over 83.1 innings, 31 games and 7 starts, going 5-2 with 4 saves.

This was the second win of a three game sweep for the Cubs over the Cards. It got them within a half game of first place. They were 35-31 and had lost 6 out of 7 heading into the series and went 61-34 the remainder of the way, winning the division by 6.5 games.

Last edited:
36th anniversary of the "Sandberg Game," which would have gone down as the "Willie McGee Game" had things gone a little differently.

McGee went 4 for 6 with 6 RBI and hit for the cycle.

Sutter pitched 3.1 innings and gave up 3 ERs and of course the 2 HRs to Sandberg. For the rest of the season, he only gave up 18 ERs and 7 HRs over 119.1 innings. He was third place in the Cy Young vote behind Sutcliffe (16-1, 2.69 ERA) and Gooden (17-9, 2.60 ERA).

So it wasn't just that Sandberg went 5 for 6 with 2 HRS and 7 RBI on national television. It was that he got to Sutter during a year where no one was getting to Sutter.

Unsung hero: Rich Bordi. After Trout got run off the mound in only 1.1 innings, Bordi kept the Cubs in the game with 3.2 innings of 2-hit ball. Bordi was a solid long reliever/swing man all season for the Cubs, putting up a 3.46 ERA over 83.1 innings, 31 games and 7 starts, going 5-2 with 4 saves.

This was the second win of a three game sweep for the Cubs over the Cards. It got them within a half game of first place. They were 35-31 and had lost 6 out of 7 heading into the series and went 61-34 the remainder of the way, winning the division by 6.5 games.

Until a few years ago I was certain that my wife and I were at the game because I remember it so vividly. I changed my mind after reading an article and realized I couldn't possible have been at the game. I watched it on tv.

Chilliniwek

Chicagoland
I was driving from Peoria to begin a new life/career in the Chicago area and was listening to the game on WGN-AM. Almost turned it off when we fell behind early on, but I only knew one other radio station, WLS, and figured I'd stick with it. By the time I got to my new destination, I was yelling and screaming along with Vince & Lou all by my lonesome self! I also had the good fortune to get to know Mr. Boudreau not long after that, a prince of a man. Thanks for the reminder Chris.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I grew up on a farm (still farm today) and back then the local feed company would give you so many tickets to a Cubs game based on how much feed you bought and provide a bus ride up to the game. We bought enough feed for four tickets and the trip just happened to be scheduled for that day. Dad, myself, and two buddies luckily were able to be there that day in a stroke of luck. We usually went to one game a year based on that system and I got a chance to see some pretty cool stuff, including Bruce Sutter strike out the side in the ninth on nine pitches against the Mets and Dave Rader of all people win a game with an opposite-field grand slam in the tenth inning of a game. Also got to see some great opposing players like Dave Winfield and Ozzie Smith when they played for the Padres and Pete Rose with the Expos, etc.

B-ILL

Working From Home
Help me understand something. Why would the players union reject the final proposal from the owners by a 33-5 vote, and then agree to play a 60 game season the next day? I'm thoroughly confused by the whole thing.