Chicago White Sox 2019

ILL in IA

Iowa City
The dust has settled post-Machado and man this one still stings. I have not been locked in on what they have been doing so far, only seeing a few box scores. Moncada is off to a good start. Really hope he can improve from last year. He can put up some monster numbers and have some decent bats around him here soon. Top of the order could be fun to watch.

Bailey

Los Angeles
I'll be down there the weekend of the 22nd. Hope to see Cease throw.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Was down there this weekend. Eloy was an animal. Got himself into good counts then tee'd off.

Biggest takeaway was Yoan being aggressive early in counts. I only saw him from the left side over the course of 3 games but he was barreling up everything, oftentimes on the 2nd or 3rd pitch.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Biggest takeaway was Yoan being aggressive early in counts. I only saw him from the left side over the course of 3 games but he was barreling up everything, oftentimes on the 2nd or 3rd pitch.

Good news. It's time for Moncado to turn the corner. I think it's more than reasonable for Sox' fans to have some doubts.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Was down there this weekend. Eloy was an animal. Got himself into good counts then tee'd off.

I am really excited for Eloy. Strongly considering trying to get tickets for opening day just to see his first game in the Gspot.

But the news on Yoan is great. It felt so obvious that his big adjustment coming into this year was his approach and going after more pitches early.

The pitching injuries have slowed down my excitement on the rebuild. Yoan and Eloy hitting would get me excited again.

Bailey

Los Angeles
I've said it before...Rey is a pen arm. You can set your watch by when he loses his command.

illini55

The Villages, FL
Ryan Cordell looks like the real deal. He'll be a piece of the rebuilding pie.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Thoughts on everything so far?
Moncada has arrived is my main take away. Even his outs are hard. That adjustment in his approach has been everything, and he's playing a pretty damn good 3b.
Tim's floor is an above average shortstop, but I think we should all brace for him to come crashing down to earth soon. The plate discipline just isn't in his makeup. Obviously he can tattoo strikes and field his position.
Not worried in the least about Eloy. Pitchers clearly had a plan for him from his first at bat, but he'll adjust.

In terms of arms, the only guy I'm really keeping an eye on is Gio. I still think he can be a front end guy, but need to see progress. I'm holding out hope.
Rodon is Rodon, and he'll be a decent option as long as he's healthy. He can't get through 7 hardly ever, but nobody can square him up. That's a good middle of the rotation piece.
Rey is a bullpen guy when it's all said and done, in my opinion.

Other than Robert, the farm hasn't had much to rave about for our top tier guys. Hopefully we'll see Cease up after a couple dominant starts.

Overall: i feel horrible about the club, generally, but that was pretty much cemented this off season. Can't wait for Jon Jay to get back though! :tsk:

Bailey

Los Angeles
sounds like TJ for Rodon. We're rapidly whittling down the moments to pay attention to any given White Sox game. With Eloy shelved, right now its:
1. Moncada at bats
2. Tim at bats
3. Gio pitches
4. Rey pitches

Am i missing anything? Anybody care about Cordell?

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
sounds like TJ for Rodon. We're rapidly whittling down the moments to pay attention to any given White Sox game. With Eloy shelved, right now its:
1. Moncada at bats
2. Tim at bats
3. Gio pitches
4. Rey pitches

I find myself much more interested in the stats of Walker, Madrigal, Cease, and Robert and one of like 5 pitchers who every now and then throw well. I find no reason in keeping Cease down any longer unless they still want to get up his stamina.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
1. Moncada at bats
2. Tim at bats
3. Gio pitches
4. Rey pitches

On cue, Gio delivers. His walk rate still concerns me, but his numbers are pointing to a legit pitcher.

And I know he doesn't fill the role of young prospect to watch, but James McCann is on my radar every night out now. I think he is making a case to be the mentor alongside the catching prospects the Sox have in place the next few years.

Bailey

Los Angeles
I love Gio. He threw THREE breaking pitches last night. All four seamers and changeups. We're seeing tangible improvement with him, even if it does come with the occasional stumbling block.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I love Gio. He threw THREE breaking pitches last night. All four seamers and changeups. We're seeing tangible improvement with him, even if it does come with the occasional stumbling block.
When I saw that last night, I almost didn't believe it. When he was drafted and coming up through the minors, his curveball was considered a ++ pitch. It has never been a pitch that has worked well at the MLB level though. But that changeup...NASTY!

Bailey

Los Angeles
Just playing cleaner baseball across the board. I didn't think they'd be a .500 team this year, and maybe they're not, but this has been a great stretch.

And somehow Eloy has nothing to do with it? Still not worried about him.