Coaching Carousel

Deleted member 10676

D
[FONT=&quot]The Bruce Weber conundrum at Kansas State
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article143086604.html[/FONT]
But there is a strong distaste for Weber within the fan base. It’s possible that social media distorts his approval rating, but the situation is precarious enough that people close to Weber — people who want him to succeed — have urged him to present himself better publicly. At least one said recently he was worried that the relationship between Bruce and the fans was broken, “and I don’t know how you fix it.”
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 6m6 minutes ago
Auburn’s Bruce Pearl will promote Steven Pearl to assistant coach, source told ESPN.

Gee, I wonder how Steve got that job. Reminds me of a story told by Abner Mikva way back in the day:

One of the stories that is told about my start in politics is that on the way home from U of Chicago law school one night in 1948, I stopped by the ward headquarters in the ward where I lived. There was a street-front office, and the name Timothy O'Sullivan, Ward Committeeman, was eloquently lettered on the front window in black and gold paint.

I walked in and I said "I'd like to volunteer to work for Adlai Stevenson"

This quintessential Chicago ward committeeman took the cigar out of his mouth and glared at me and said, "Who sent you?"

I said, "Nobody sent me."

He put the cigar back in his mouth and he said, "We don't want nobody that nobody sent." This was the beginning of my political career in Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read where Wichita State is joining the American Athletic Conference next year. Think that is why Marshall stayed put?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a guess.

Unless there are a lot of wins for K-State next year, Weber's days there might be numbered. He'll be 61 at the start of this next season. If he's fired, he probably would like to work for at least another few years somewhere else. I'm sure he will be fine as he seems well respected in the coaching profession. He could catch on as an assistant at the very least. I don't think broadcasting awaits him...

Just read where Wichita State is joining the American Athletic Conference next year. Think that is why Marshall stayed put?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably doesn't hurt. He's sitting really well there and doesn't have much motivation to take a chance going somewhere like an Indiana that would be so impatient. If he stays at WSU, he gets paid on par with a top Power 5 coach, has the amenities and benefits of a top Power 5 coach and he doesn't have to move or compete in a Power 5 conference. Getting to the AAC improves their tournament resume now on top of all that. His good gig is really just getting better...