Coaching Carousel

From Loren, heard similar rumblings, I do not know where exactly Porter Sr. and Martin know each other from (I assume from Martin's time in the Missouri area), but I know for a fact they knew each other.

The key event was Michael Porter Sr. losing his job with Lorenzo Romar's ousted staff at Washington, and taking a $350,000 assistant's job at Missouri, and thereby bringing his top-ranked, 6-foot-10 son with him. This was a pre-arranged plan. The Porters intended to join Martin wherever he landed, whether it be Missouri or his other main consideration, Illinois.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...22/tate-ui-mizzou-rivalry-can-heat-again.html

From Loren, heard similar rumblings, I do not know where exactly Porter Sr. and Martin know each other from (I assume from Martin's time in the Missouri area), but I know for a fact they knew each other.

Given the lengths to which the Cuonzo camp is eager to spread BS about their dealings with Illinois, and the obvious fact that the Porters meant more to Mizzou than any particular coach and they would have had something to say about it all, I'm just gonna choose not to believe this.

Plus, imagine Cuonzo to Illinois, Porters a "done deal" per Twitter, then Romar to Mizzou. The Sum of All Fears.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Given the lengths to which the Cuonzo camp is eager to spread BS about their dealings with Illinois, and the obvious fact that the Porters meant more to Mizzou than any particular coach and they would have had something to say about it all, I'm just gonna choose not to believe this.

Plus, imagine Cuonzo to Illinois, Porters a "done deal" per Twitter, then Romar to Mizzou. The Sum of All Fears.

Haha, if you have qualms about "Hiring an Assistant Coach to get a player" wait til you see the angst-inducing power of new "Hiring a HEAD Coach to get a player"!

supercolonblow.jpg

You are making some huge assumptions that the information is coming from Cuonzo-Porter, and that is not true. I actually posted the same thing and my information is definitely not from their side. On the contrary, Cuonzo and Porter were publicly spreading the opposite information, that they did not know each other and that Porter Sr. first met Cuonzo and started talking/negotiating after he got the Missouri job. That I can tell you for a fact is not true.

I rarely agree with anything that Loren says as far as commentary and opinions, but Tate generally does not make things up. I just think Loren's personal opinions (e.g., redshirting, recruiting, view of Illini athletics) are often off the wall.

Deleted member 8213

D
Even if the Porters would have followed Cuonzo to Illinois, it would have been fool's gold. Those kids would have been gone in 2 years and we would be left with another mediocre coach who is great on the sofa and consistently overmatched on the sideline.

haasi

New York
The real question at Mizzou is whether he can parlay this recruiting coup into long term success. Very little in Cuonzo's history indicates that he'll be able to do that, but you never know. Maybe the third high major school for him will be the charm

The real question at Mizzou is whether he can parlay this recruiting coup into long term success. Very little in Cuonzo's history indicates that he'll be able to do that, but you never know. Maybe the third high major school for him will be the charm

Whether Cuonzo succeeds long term at Mizzou is kind of irrelevant from an Illinois perspective other than recruiting. His relevance is with respect to recruiting wars and that's about it, the Border War is one game and winning that game does not guarantee success, including the Illini coach.

Deleted member 8213

D
Whether Cuonzo succeeds long term at Mizzou is kind of irrelevant from an Illinois perspective other than recruiting. His relevance is with respect to recruiting wars and that's about it, the Border War is one game and winning that game does not guarantee success, including the Illini coach.

Oh but winning that one game a year means SOOO much to those of us from the STL metro east.

Oh but winning that one game a year means SOOO much to those of us from the STL metro east.

Sure, for bragging rights, just that winning that game does not guarantee overall success, as we have seen from past experiences.

haasi

New York

Yeah, meant from Mizzou's perspective. From our board's perspective, the relevance of Cuonzo's long term success in descending order of importance would probably be:

1. our inevitable long-term neurotic second guessing about whether we should have wanted him and whether he would have come
2. competing with Cuonzo in recruiting
3. Braggin Rights

I'm in favor of him sucking mainly so we can avoid having the first discussion for the next several years

Yeah, meant from Mizzou's perspective. From our board's perspective, the relevance of Cuonzo's long term success in descending order of importance would probably be:

1. our inevitable long-term neurotic second guessing about whether we should have wanted him and whether he would have come
2. competing with Cuonzo in recruiting
3. Braggin Rights

I'm in favor of him sucking mainly so we can avoid having the first discussion for the next several years

Cuonzo got a lot of support during the season on this board. I always said that people who want Cuonzo secretly dream of recruits, despite trying to rationalize otherwise.

He is an upgrade IMO from their previous staff but the main attraction has always been recruiting. From a Border War game perspective, it would be nice if both teams improve (yet we beat them every single time). It is kind of sad to see that game getting delegated to 2nd and 3rd tier on national media and attention, all the way down from its glory days.

I don't know whose side of what argument I'm even on here, but I just want to point out that "Cuonzo, previous svengali of 5 stars" and "Cuonzo, with the #1 recruit in the incoming class attached as part of the package" are very different things.

I was opposed to Cuonzo for a few reasons, but foremost among them was my absolute certainty that he would never bring a player as good as Michael Porter Jr. to Champaign. So to taking that out of the equation changes the equation.

I don't know whose side of what argument I'm even on here, but I just want to point out that "Cuonzo, previous svengali of 5 stars" and "Cuonzo, with the #1 recruit in the incoming class attached as part of the package" are very different things.

I was opposed to Cuonzo for a few reasons, but foremost among them was my absolute certainty that he would never bring a player as good as Michael Porter Jr. to Champaign. So to taking that out of the equation changes the equation.

Cuonzo better have a good year with that kind of talent. As savvy a recruiter he is, even the svengali of 5 stars may not see too many more Porter Jr.s of the world come his way after next season.

Getting the #1 player or top-5 players would not often happen at Mizzou unless someone is from the area with a known connection. But I am not sure Cuonzo can be dismissed in recruiting, it is certainly not just those players that can define a very good talented class, for Illinois as well.

Even if the Porters would have followed Cuonzo to Illinois, it would have been fool's gold. Those kids would have been gone in 2 years and we would be left with another mediocre coach who is great on the sofa and consistently overmatched on the sideline.
Could not agree more. Martin is a recruiter and has yet to show he can coach.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
I don't believe for a single solitary second that Porter would have ended up at Illinois with Martin. Old Man Tate can claim anything at all. Irrelevant.