Coaching Carousel

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Here's hoping Miller vs Underwood is as good of theater as Knight vs Henson back in the day. Those were some epic battles.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Or, worse yet, fired him then replaced him with an assistant with zero head coaching experience no one has ever heard of. Poor OSU and Cal fans. Maybe it'll work out. Doesn't seem likely, though.

UW (Washington) too, hiring Hopkins the "heir apparent" for Syracuse, until he wasn't.

My UW fans out here are trying to justify the tire fire that Hopkins and first year AD Jen Cohen have lit. They were looking forward to "the best incoming class in the country" a year ago, now they are coming off a 9 win season with a first year head coach and half the roster jumping ship.

I would be more concerned with Chicago than Indy honestly. Archie already has his hooks in Chicago and now he is at a much bigger program. It's not like UI has been pulling in many Indiana stars. Hard for it to make a difference in a state where you have had limited success.

JCL was our first signing from Indiana since the 80s. Indy is not an issue for us at this point.

Same here. He's been the head guy for nine years now. It's hard to let that go, even if it means going to a program in a one-bid league.

Well he's used to not making the tournament, so a one big league shouldn't worry him much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archie is a very good hire for Indiana. He is a really good coach and can recruit. B1G got a lot more competitive.

As I said too many time, Alford was not going to Indiana. Pretty good sources on that, he is aware and very fond of his IU legacy, but Alford did not want to return to Indiana and the B1G. Time heals all wounds, but his last experience in the B1G had left a bitter taste in his mouth.

C-time 12:48 PM Today
Hire a coach who plans to upgrade to a better job in 5 to 6 years. Don't hire a retread. Hire a climber.
[Reply]

I don't know who that guy is the Dayton board, but damn I appreciate his realism. The anti-hoosier understanding of a coaching search. The Archie hire just smoke before Donovan comes in June?

C-time 12:48 PM Today
Hire a coach who plans to upgrade to a better job in 5 to 6 years. Don't hire a retread. Hire a climber.
[Reply]

I don't know who that guy is the Dayton board, but damn I appreciate his realism. The anti-hoosier understanding of a coaching search.

Mid major fans get it. Young up-and-comers are high upside, but they'll leave. Retreads are big names who big programs will be scared off of, but the problems they had at the big schools don't go away.

And yet, checking Btown Banners there is a vocal minority who are upset about getting Archie including Brass Cannon. BC, if you see this care to weigh in on why you are so livid and are done supporting Glass? Looks like a great hire from most people's perspective.

Glass promised us a proven winner. Instead we got a guy with potential.

That's why I'm upset I have spent my entire adult life giving IU coaches time. I'm tired of the projects and the rebuilding.

In the Last 2 years Glass has replaced our Baseball, Football and Basketball coaches. They had 0 combined years head coaching position at power 5 schools. If you add in our Soccer program you get a whopping 1 year HC experience at a power 5 school and only 7 total years.

We have watched our Baseball team regress under an assistant not ready for the job. and our soccer coach was a legacy hire that got hot and won a title but has struggled with consistency.

I hope I am wrong about Miller but Glasses track record does not bode well for it

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
I hope I am wrong about Miller but Glasses track record does not bode well for it

Hey, at least IU only has to give him $30 million to find out. :eek:

Seriously, these salaries are just ridiculous. 30 large should get you a Gregg Marshall or a Tony Bennett, not a guy who can't get past the first weekend aside from one lucky run to the Elite 8 a few years ago. And I like Archie.

Of course, we can say the same thing about Bennett. :D

Unfortunately for Dayton fans, I think both are too big for Dayton at this point. If Grant wanted to abandon the NBA lifestyle and go back to college, I think there would be bigger jobs available for him. And Crean was partially obviously a victim of Indiana's expectations and perceptions. I don't like him but Crean can coach basketball and there will be a big conference job available for either Crean or Grant if they want one.

Deleted member 10676

D

That's why I'm upset I have spent my entire adult life giving IU coaches time. I'm tired of the projects and the rebuilding.

In the Last 2 years Glass has replaced our Baseball, Football and Basketball coaches. They had 0 combined years head coaching position at power 5 schools. If you add in our Soccer program you get a whopping 1 year HC experience at a power 5 school and only 7 total years.

We have watched our Baseball team regress under an assistant not ready for the job. and our soccer coach was a legacy hire that got hot and won a title but has struggled with consistency.

Thanks for coming over and explaining. From what you say about Glass, I guess I can see where the disappointment comes from. I think both UI and IU did a great job hiring and look forward to some epic battles down the road. Good luck against everybody but us!

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Thanks for coming over and explaining. From what you say about Glass, I guess I can see where the disappointment comes from. I think both UI and IU did a great job hiring and look forward to some epic battles down the road. Good luck against everybody but us!

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...... whoa. We are talking about Indiana here, correct?
Good luck against ScUM and I diots O ut W alking A round.
I hope the rest of us pound IU into creamy goo.
Have a nice day though!:thumb:

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Whoa whoa whoa whoa...... whoa. We are talking about Indiana here, correct?
Good luck against ScUM and I diots O ut W alking A round.
I hope the rest of us pound IU into creamy goo.
Have a nice day though!:thumb:

+ Uno :D

It's insane that so many Indiana fans are unimpressed with the Archie hire. It's a terrific hire and the best IU was going to do. Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens were never going to quit their jobs as successful NBA coaches to come to Bloomington. That's a ludicrous proposition. Gregg Marshall was certainly plausible and would have been a tremendous hire, but he probably isn't leaving Wichita unless it's for UNC. It was always going to be Archie, Alford, or someone like Scott Drew. Alford didn't leave UCLA for Indy because UCLA is a better job right now and the Big Ten is a meat grinder. Indiana is a great program with impressive history--top 7 all time--but it's a tough job due to outsize fan expectations and complex competitive dynamics. Archie was the best realistic candidate. Absolute homerun hire.

PSA to Hoosiers: this isn't the 1970s. You're not perceived as a top-5 super blue blood program right now. There's work to do to regain your place in the kingdom - just like at Illinois we're no longer perceived as a top 12-15 program. Lots of work to do. I hope that Underwood and Archie lead our respective programs back to prominence. The Big Ten is at its best when IU and Illinois are part of the national conversation year in and year out. I think Archie is going to absolutely kill it at IU and I'm pumped to see the conference getting stronger!

But the idea of hiring Donovan and seeing an immediate influx of 5-star talent on the way to multiple national titles over the next decade...come on. You had to know that was absurd. Right? Right?

Not sure I understand the reputation and expectations for Archie's recruiting - especially when it comes to Chicago. Can someone fill me in?

I looked him up at 247:
- 0 Top 100 recruits
- 1 4-star
- 7 3-star
- 1 2-star
- 6 0-star

He's only landed two players from Chicago; both in 2012, a 3-star, and a 0-star.

According to 247, of the very approximate 150 players he offered at Dayton only 5 were from Illinois and only 2 from Indiana.

He obviously had some great recruiting exposure at OSU and UofA, but that hasn't seemed to translate to his 6 classes at Dayton. I think he's a great coach but I don't understand some of these expectations for him.

Not sure I understand the reputation and expectations for Archie's recruiting - especially when it comes to Chicago. Can someone fill me in?

I looked him up at 247:
- 0 Top 100 recruits
- 1 4-star
- 7 3-star
- 1 2-star
- 6 0-star

He's only landed two players from Chicago; both in 2012, a 3-star, and a 0-star.

According to 247, of the very approximate 150 players he offered at Dayton only 5 were from Illinois and only 2 from Indiana.

He obviously had some great recruiting exposure at OSU and UofA, but that hasn't seemed to translate to his 6 classes at Dayton. I think he's a great coach but I don't understand some of these expectations for him.

I reckon that's about to change.

I'm going to have to politely disagree. I wish Indiana nothing but continued underachievement and embarrassment, anger, and frustration at not being able to live up to the Chairthrower's championship legacy. :D

I reckon that's about to change.

Definitely. I just wonder if he'll slammed by the Indiana fans if he doesn't "lock down" the state, and from what I read I see no reason to believe he will. I expect his classes to be lower ranked than Creans. I wonder how much time the fans allow him to make in roads.

I think Evans is a key piece

this guy recruited dozier and thornwell to South Carolina and is considered a great recruiter. I am hearing he may be staying with Boynton and that will be a blow with his recruiting talents.