Coaching Carousel

Dayton should be able to do a lot better than Groce.

Miami Ohio seems like a great landing spot for him if they can pay him something in the ballpark of an IU assistant.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Anyway, the point is that John Groce was a failed but respectable coach at a high-profile power five job, and I think it'd be ridiculous for Dayton fans to be "furious."

And we'll have to agree to disagree there. He crashed and burned in the B1G after barely succeeding in the MAC. Neither of those things portends success in the A-10. They'd be absolutely justified in being seriously underwhelmed.

UofI08

Chicago
And we'll have to agree to disagree there. He crashed and burned in the B1G after barely succeeding in the MAC. Neither of those things portends success in the A-10. They'd be absolutely justified in being seriously underwhelmed.

I agree. Dayton is to the point where the perception of their program is actually higher than the lowest teir P5 programs. Most would view it's basketball program above a Penn State, Rutgers, or Nebraska, for instance (not saying they have the same money/resources). Hiring a failed B1G coach without much of a head coaching record prior to that stint would definitely justify criticism.

Pretty surprised Duquesne was able to get Keith Dambrot. He's won 20+ games 12 straight years. Great hire for them.

That's a weird one. Coming off a 27-win season, seems like he could have gotten a better job than the absolute bottom of the barrel A-10 school. Duquesne's basketball program's been a dumpster fire for 30-odd years.

UofI08

Chicago
That's a weird one. Coming off a 27-win season, seems like he could have gotten a better job than the absolute bottom of the barrel A-10 school. Duquesne's basketball program's been a dumpster fire for 30-odd years.

Seems like an impressive hire for Duquesne.

Really the entire coaching carousel this year has me wondering about how big the money differences are between the have and have-nots, and the hierarchy of conferences. Indiana, Illinois, and Mizzou all hire established coaches for 3+ mil per year. SEC and B1G money and power on display. Cal and OSU, after losing their coaches to Mizzou and Illinois, hire 1st timers. Is the money that significantly different in the PAC and Big 12? Then you see a bottom feeder A-10 team taking the MAC coach of the year after 13 years on the job there. Will be interesting to see how Dayton fills their vacancy.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Cal and OSU, after losing their coaches to Mizzou and Illinois, hire 1st timers. Is the money that significantly different in the PAC and Big 12?

I'm not sure you can extrapolate those examples to their conferences. Cal is a mess of an athletic department attempting to navigate some pretty tight finances, and Oklahoma State was boxed in after the Travis Ford contract led to them lowballing Underwood.

UofI08

Chicago
I'm not sure you can extrapolate those examples to their conferences. Cal is a mess of an athletic department attempting to navigate some pretty tight finances, and Oklahoma State was boxed in after the Travis Ford contract led to them lowballing Underwood.

Good point. Just seemed weird. I mean, even Mike Thomas hired coaches that had HC experience and could be considered up-and-comers. Cal and OSU basically punted. Usually hiring an assistant comes after a well established coach leaves. Not after a new HC leaves after only 1-3 years.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
Jerrance, here's your chance to prove you're worthy of the Illinois job. Though Dayton likely isn't willing to take that gamble.

Deleted member 3875

D
Disagree. Dayton is arguably the best/steadiest non-P5 job in terms of fan support, resources and history. They're top 50 all-time in wins, and the first non-P5 team to show up on this list which attempted to value each program based primarily on revenue (we're #15).

I'd put Creighton above Dayton.

OT: why isn't the MAC a better basketball conference, at least relative to their football success?

In addition to overlapping with the Big 10, as they do in football, in basketball they also overlap with the Missouri Valley and Horizon (used to be the old Midwest City Conference) conferences, both conferences with stronger traditions and several periods of being really good. And now the A-10 and Big East partially overlap it as well.

I have to wonder if trying to be a "big time" football conference holds them down in basketball since all those other conferences besides the Big 10 are basically basketball only (or FCS).

Trakis

Chicago, IL
Seriously guys... Dayton fans will riot if they hire Groce.

Get your popcorn ready.

ESPN has Fred Hoiberg rated as the worst coach in the NBA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They could have that fine fellow from San Antoine or Phil Jackson at his prime and neither would be able to do much with the Mess on Madison Street. Hoiberg is more of a college coach. He's not right for NBA egos.