Coaching Carousel

Deleted member 11241

D
top two threads on EMAW:

"Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Extended Yet And, If So, When"

"Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not"

The ExBruces thread is a pretty good one too

What's the Oscar part? Have they dubbed him Oscar the grouch for that face he makes? If so, well played

I believe he is called Captain f@#$-wad.

Some fun posts for those who've never visited them (paraphrasing):

Captain F has us rolling! [responding to SI off-season power ranking of 10th (out of 10) in the conference]

Our plucky underdogs will prove the naysayers wrong with an 8th place finish

We're going to make the final four! ...in conference.

Summary of Coaching Changes

Was doing some research, and thought I'd put it together a summary of coaching changes and share. There were more big hires this offseason than I first thought. (First time using a file, so hopefully the upload worked).

Attachments

• 2017 CC.PNG
    2017 CC.PNG
    32.9 KB · Views: 555

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
That list includes pretty much every name on the "next big time coaching hire" list that we'be all talked about for a couple years. It'll be fascinating to watch how Wade, McCall, Keatts, Miller, Holtman, and of course Underwood do in their new high(er) profile gigs.

That list includes pretty much every name on the "next big time coaching hire" list that we'be all talked about for a couple years. It'll be fascinating to watch how Wade, McCall, Keatts, Miller, Holtman, and of course Underwood do in their new high(er) profile gigs.

I find the Georgetown/Ewing hire the most eye-brow raising. I wasn't aware of how much they put on the table for an unproven coach (note that I couldn't find a contract online, only a rumored estimate). Seems like they could have done better, but time will tell. Pat Riley vouching for him seems like a pretty good endorsement, until you think about how much pro and college success have been related historically, which is to say it's a mixed bag.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I find the Georgetown/Ewing hire the most eye-brow raising. I wasn't aware of how much they put on the table for an unproven coach (note that I couldn't find a contract online, only a rumored estimate). Seems like they could have done better, but time will tell. Pat Riley vouching for him seems like a pretty good endorsement, until you think about how much pro and college success have been related historically, which is to say it's a mixed bag.

I found the Boynton hire at OSU odd as well. They did the exact same thing with him that they did with Underwood. Made him the lowest paid coach in the conference ($1mil). Admittedly, he doesn't have the head coaching experience that BU had coming into that job. But it will be pretty amusing if he has success this year and then takes a better job next year. Guess they must be running low on T. Boone's money.

I found the Boynton hire at OSU odd as well. They did the exact same thing with him that they did with Underwood. Made him the lowest paid coach in the conference ($1mil). Admittedly, he doesn't have the head coaching experience that BU had coming into that job. But it will be pretty amusing if he has success this year and then takes a better job next year. Guess they must be running low on T. Boone's money.

I'd add Wyking Jones, though to a lesser extent. He was a well know asst. coach and the mess that is the Cal athletic dept. is well known, but I would've thought they would go out and find a better candidate... It's not like continuity from old regime to the next is really important in their case, given how little Martin accomplished there.

Trakis

Chicago, IL
Fantastic!!! Well deserved. He's on his way to being our HC once BU retires.

*runs*

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Good for Dee.

And at least its still in the family, sorta.

Illinois88

United States
1. Good for Dee.
2. I don't know much about McClain besides a gathering a few impressions from a post-game interview a couple of years ago. He comes across as an erudite man and keeps perspective well (at the time UIC were losing game after game).
3. I have ties to UIC so I find this cool.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Best of luck to Dee. Hopefully he can continue to build his career and put whatever happened between him and UIUC in his rear-view.

Good for Dee. It would be a good level for him to come in and establish a coaching reputation. Even better since he won't directly compete with the Illini for recruits.

My timeline for Dee:

- Help Lead UIC back to respect - 3 years
- Assistant coach for a survived and resurgent Weber at K-State - 6 years
(culminating in Big 12 tourney win over Kansas in Year 5, and an outright championship over Kansas in Year 6)
- Land head gig at say Utah or Mississippi State, turn program around make tourney and win there - 2 years
- Come home and coach Illinois after BU's retirement. Get that NC he missed as a player (the second after Brad Underwood's first for Illinois), stay until a happy retirement and bronze statue is made, one side with him poppin' Illinois as a player, another with his clipboard as a coach.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
My timeline for Dee:

- Help Lead UIC back to respect - 3 years
- Assistant coach for a survived and resurgent Weber at K-State - 6 years
(culminating in Big 12 tourney win over Kansas in Year 5, and an outright championship over Kansas in Year 6)
- Land head gig at say Utah or Mississippi State, turn program around make tourney and win there - 2 years
- Come home and coach Illinois after BU's retirement. Get that NC he missed as a player (the second after Brad Underwood's first for Illinois), stay until a happy retirement and bronze statue is made, one side with him poppin' Illinois as a player, another with his clipboard as a coach.

Can't beat that scenario! Hope I'm around long enough to see it! :chief:

NJILLINI

Castle Pines, Colorado
I have no idea what Dee did in Champaign that caused him to leave his post. But how is it that some here are saying he will "never be back in Champaign" based on, I am assuming, whatever transgressions occurred but he is able to secure a job at a sister State of Illinois-funded institution? Seems like if it was that bad he wouldn't be able to get a job at UIC, either.

Don't get me wrong. I love Dee Brown and hope that someday he coaches the Illini -- either as an assistant or the head man. But I have to believe the staff at UIC knows the real story. As such, this whole saga seems very odd to me.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Name me a big time college coach who was a big time college player.
And don't say Steve Alford.

Actually, Alford is a pretty good answer. What about Kevin Ollie, UConn. Won a title, that is a good start to a resume to go along with a 12 year career in the NBA.