Coaching Carousel

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Whats the end game for OA. Does he want to be a head coach again? If so, I can see how having success away from Cal could be a resume booster for that. If he is ok with being an assistant coach going forward, might as well go do it at a place where you can have the most success.

Its a tough sell. Stallings basically hasn't recruited for 2 years (no one signed higher than #130, except a decent juco guy) and they graduate 4 guys. On top of what im gonna guess is a mass exodus of the guys they have left. In the ACC, in a recruiting territory that is being taken over.

They are a laughing stock.
123_1.jpg

They are up a creek. And regretting the grass-is-greener firing/letting Jamie Dixon walk.

Wished I would have placed $20.00 on that one.

SKane

Tennessee
Coach Stallings met complete disaster at Pitt.

He had a nice program going at Vanderbilt.

I wonder whether another P% school will take a chance on hiring him.

Coach Stallings met complete disaster at Pitt.

He had a nice program going at Vanderbilt.

I wonder whether another P% school will take a chance on hiring him.

Not sure why you would. He build a decent program at Vandy, then ran Pitt into the ground. If he had better success (doubt the made more than a S16 or two) at Vandy maybe, but I think going back to a school like ISU is a good choice for him. Or perhaps assistant coaching at a major place, though I doubt he'd do that after being a HC for so long.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Not sure why you would. He build a decent program at Vandy, then ran Pitt into the ground. If he had better success (doubt the made more than a S16 or two) at Vandy maybe, but I think going back to a school like ISU is a good choice for him. Or perhaps assistant coaching at a major place, though I doubt he'd do that after being a HC for so long.

Two NCAA SS appearances, 1 NCAA third round, 1 second round, 1 first round, 1 First Four, to go along with 2 NIT quarterfinals, 1 NIT second round, and 2 NIT first rounds. All in all, not bad for Vandy. He had a good streak going in the late 2000's and early 2010's.

I wasn't aware he was on the hot seat, and I have a hard time thinking a hot seat coach would get hired at Pitt. Then again, I have a hard time thinking that Tim Beckman got hired at Illinois. :)

Two NCAA SS appearances, 1 NCAA third round, 1 second round, 1 first round, 1 First Four, to go along with 2 NIT quarterfinals, 1 NIT second round, and 2 NIT first rounds. All in all, not bad for Vandy. He had a good streak going in the late 2000's and early 2010's.

I wasn't aware he was on the hot seat, and I have a hard time thinking a hot seat coach would get hired at Pitt. Then again, I have a hard time thinking that Tim Beckman got hired at Illinois. :)

7 Dances in 17 yrs at Vandy. In the SEC, where beyond KY and FL there wasn't a ton of competition most yrs.

To me he is an MVC/OVC/MAC level coach, and will probably end up back there, unless he decides to retire and hang out with his buddy Vince Gill.

NEIlliniFan

No longer in New England
UConn firing Ollie ' for cause' because of his contract. Expect a negotiated settlement. Anyway, he's gone.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Fox expected to be out at Georgia.

"Manning in or out" thread started by user "Ayo" on wakeforest board.

He just signed a contract extension Nov 2017 that goes through 2024. Guessing this is more so wishful thinking by some or it would be an insanely expensive proposition.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Has a Final Four coach ever been fired? Miller could be the first if Ayton keeps doing what he did to USC.

Has a Final Four coach ever been fired? Miller could be the first if Ayton keeps doing what he did to USC.

Ayton is a man. Hadn’t seen him play til last night. I see why Miller wanted to pay him $100,000. That’s a steal at that price, :D

Deleted member 631370

D
Ayton is a man. Hadn’t seen him play til last night. I see why Miller wanted to pay him $100,000. That’s a steal at that price, :D

Yep. I mean, Auburn paid $182,000 for Cam Newton, and clearly that paid off. If Arizona can go the distance with Ayton, that's 100K well spent.

I really hope he gets it too! Go Rev!

I find this interesting. Powell left Valpo with Bryce Drew without any consideration of seeking the head coach job at Valpo. It was given to Lottich who had less experience. Actually Lottich also was chosen over longtime Valpo mainstay and retained assistant Luke Gore. Lottich and Gore were considered, Lottich was chosen, Gore stayed. Powell bolted with Drew. Now Powell is seeking out Missouri State a year later? Right before Vandy gets in their big recruits? Why now is he looking for a different MVC job when he didn't seek out one in a familiar place last year? Was he informed from the get-go that he wouldn't get the Valpo job or was there some reason he didn't want it but now views Missouri State as a better job? I know Missouri State has some of the best facilities in the MVC but other than that, I can't figure this situation out.

And I've always wondered why Luke Gore is good enough to be associate head coach and retained but not good enough for head coach after being at Valpo over a decade longer than Lottich.