Coaching Carousel

Any chance young Pitino ditches Minnesota, given his ongoing challenges there, for Ole Miss?

Would Mike White give up the Florida job to return to his alma matter?

Kermit Davis?

Any chance young Pitino ditches Minnesota, given his ongoing challenges there, for Ole Miss?

Would Mike White give up the Florida job to return to his alma matter?

Kermit Davis?

The Florida gig is a better gig than Miss so I'd be surprised if White left.

Don't know about Little Ricky

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Florida fans are getting restless with White. They have lost 4 or 5 games recently that they had no business losing. In control of the game, against inferior teams, and complete collapse in the last 3 or 4 minutes.

Seat in not hot, but getting warm. If he picks up and leaves, it could be mutual.

Deleted member 631370

D
Florida fans are getting restless with White. They have lost 4 or 5 games recently that they had no business losing. In control of the game, against inferior teams, and complete collapse in the last 3 or 4 minutes.

Seat in not hot, but getting warm. If he picks up and leaves, it could be mutual.

He's gone to 1 NCAA tournament in 7 years, so I'm not particularly sold on him as a star coach. He certainly hasn't elevated his profile to the point where he's too successful for the likes of Ole Miss.

At least according to Wikipedia, he's only getting $2 mil a year (6-year $12 mil contract), so it'll be interesting to see if Ole Miss can match that. Do they even care about hoops down there, though?

"College Basketball Coaches on the Hot Seat with March Approaching" (link below)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2760126-college-basketball-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-with-march-approaching

“Not all contract information is readily available. For some reason, one could read the entire contract for Greg Gard at Wisconsin, but no one seems to know any of the details surrounding the employment of Pittsburgh's Kevin Stallings or Penn State's Patrick Chambers.”

Pennsylvania exempts its public universities (which both Pitt and Penn St are) from FOIA requests. A little something I learned while following the Sandusky/Paterno scandal.

Deleted member 631370

D
And does Bruce Weber @ Illinois = Kevin Ollie @ UConn?

Some people on here will hate me for saying it, but Bruce Weber is a better coach than Kevin Ollie. No doubt about it.

Ollie coaches in a God-awful conference, and is headed for his second straight losing season.

He won a national title because he inherited a loaded roster and Shabazz Napier got ridiculously hot late in the season. Lots of credit to Ollie for riding that hot hand, but the program fell apart after that.

He has a ring and Weber doesn't. But compare that UConn team (which lost 6 games in AAC play) to the 37-2 Illinois team. I'd rather have a ring than a 37-win runner-up season, but having an insanely hot 3-week stretch doesn't impress me as much as the consistent dominance of that '05 team.

At least Weber is probably headed to his second straight tournament with a roster full of his guys in a really good conference.

UConn needs to dump Ollie right after this season.

Deleted member 631370

D
"College Basketball Coaches on the Hot Seat with March Approaching" (link below)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2760126-college-basketball-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-with-march-approaching

Man, really feel bad for Tubby Smith. He's a really good guy, but he has been a disaster at Memphis. He doesn't seem like a guy willing to play dirty or do things in a loose and shady fashion, which obviously put him in conflict with the Memphis culture (and the likes of the Lawsons).

Alford sucks. I cannot believe IU was trying to lure him back to Bloomington -- they dodged an enormous bullet. UCLA's problem is that they're not what they used to be, and can't necessarily go out and get a proven title-caliber coach.

Pastner sucks. GT was foolish to hire that clown in the first place.

I think Gard will have a few more seasons to right the ship. Wisconsin is still pretty young (absent Ethan Happ, of course). But man, he better start recruiting.

Chambers is safe. Penn State has played really well lately, and if they get into the dance, he's back. And it's Penn State......football is king. A hoops team competing for an NCAA tournament is good enough.

Ernie Kent is awful. Wazzu will never get back to where Tony Bennett took them, but they can do better than Kent. He's a guy that rode the Luke Ridnour / Luke Jackson / Freddie Jones wave and then sucked.

Stallings' failure surprises me a bit. I was always high on him at Vandy, but man.......he has been awful at Pitt. Maybe they can try to bring Ben Howland back?

kcib8130

Parts Unknown
Some people on here will hate me for saying it, but Bruce Weber is a better coach than Kevin Ollie. No doubt about it.

Ollie coaches in a God-awful conference, and is headed for his second straight losing season.

He won a national title because he inherited a loaded roster and Shabazz Napier got ridiculously hot late in the season. Lots of credit to Ollie for riding that hot hand, but the program fell apart after that.

He has a ring and Weber doesn't. But compare that UConn team (which lost 6 games in AAC play) to the 37-2 Illinois team. I'd rather have a ring than a 37-win runner-up season, but having an insanely hot 3-week stretch doesn't impress me as much as the consistent dominance of that '05 team.

At least Weber is probably headed to his second straight tournament with a roster full of his guys in a really good conference.

:crazy:

Deleted member 631370

D

So you think it's crazy to suggest that coaching a team to a 37-2 season in the Big Ten and narrowly losing in the national title game to a lottery-pick-infested North Carolina is more impressive than coaching a team in the AAC to an 8-loss season but getting hot late and beating Butler in the national title game?

We can agree to disagree.

I'd rather have the ring (as I said in my post), but that doesn't mean Ollie coached a better 2011 than Weber did in 2005.

Man, really feel bad for Tubby Smith. He's a really good guy, but he has been a disaster at Memphis. He doesn't seem like a guy willing to play dirty or do things in a loose and shady fashion, which obviously put him in conflict with the Memphis culture (and the likes of the Lawsons)

Stallings' failure surprises me a bit. I was always high on him at Vandy, but man.......he has been awful at Pitt. Maybe they can try to bring Ben Howland back?

I never understood the Tubby love.

Won big with a HOF coach’s players, couldn’t maintain recruiting and performance at expected levels, and had to go. Given other high major chances and just embodied mediocrity.

Seems vaguely familiar :huh:

Also, Stallings was about to get canned at Vandy, so he bailed while he had the chance and got the Pitt job. A lot of people were saying st the time that it was an uninspired and likely abysmal hire.

Won big with a HOF coach’s players, couldn’t maintain recruiting and performance at expected levels, and had to go. Given other high major chances and just embodied mediocrity.

Also, Stallings was about to get canned at Vandy, so he bailed while he had the chance and got the Pitt job. A lot of people were saying st the time that it was an uninspired and likely abysmal hire.
Stalling's son is a backup catcher for the Pirates, so he had interest in moving to a program in that area. Also IIRC the AD at Pitt has some connection to Stallings and Vandy.

Deleted member 631370

D

Oh, i didn't say he's a great coach. I just like him personally.

Coaching-wise, he's Bruce Weber. Very, very meh. And not a very good recruiter. But he's a good guy that seems to do things the right way.

Clearly, that philosophy doesn't win very often.

Anyone think Tom Crean will return to coaching this year? Kind of liked him as an analyst. ;) Anyone knoe how Thad Matta is doing? Hope he is able to be rid of his pain & get his health back.

Also had been curious what people were thinking of Fran McCaffery at Iowa. He is going to be there for a long while as his buy out is insanely high.
According to an extension signed by McCaffery, Iowa athletics director Gary Barta and University of Iowa President Bruce Harreld on Nov. 29, 2017, the school would owe McCaffery $10.2 million if it fired him before July 1, 2018. That number falls to $9 million due McCaffery if he is fired before July 1, 2019, and decreases annually through the 2023-24 season.
https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-...f10_Iowa&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't agree on coaching, he completely out coached Cal in the final game with considerable less talent. Big problem now is his recruiting when he is not in the big east and in a conference with a lot less status. Always thought UConn would have been a better choice for the BIG than Rutgers.

Deleted member 631370

D
Don't agree on coaching, he completely out coached Cal in the final game with considerable less talent. Big problem now is his recruiting when he is not in the big east and in a conference with a lot less status. Always thought UConn would have been a better choice for the BIG than Rutgers.

Well, I'm taking both Xs/Os and recruiting into account when I talk about coaching. I still think Bruce Weber is a better coach when everything is considered, but I can understand both sides of the argument.

Ollie has pulled in lots of top-100 kids -- including 5* Jalen Adams, near-5* Alterique Gilbert, 5* Daniel Hamilton, etc. His classes the last few years have really tailed off, but he was rolling for awhile.

Whatever the case, he's not getting it done......in a weak conference, no less.

Deleted member 631370

D
add Sean Miller to this list? :)

Yeah......I can't imagine he survives this.

I really wanted Guenther to fire Weber back in '08 and hire Miller. I knew it wasn't realistic, but that was my dream. I really figured that he was going to be one of the very elite coaches in the nation. A sure-fire Hall of Fame type.

I wonder who replaces him? Pastner is an Arizona guy, but man, he blows. They'd be crazy to hire him. Maybe they go after Chris Beard of Texas Tech? (though he's a Texas guy). Musselman at Nevada? Somebody like Scott Drew?

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Yeah......I can't imagine he survives this.

I wonder who replaces him? Pastner is an Arizona guy, but man, he blows. They'd be crazy to hire him. Maybe they go after Chris Beard of Texas Tech? (though he's a Texas guy). Musselman at Nevada? Somebody like Scott Drew?

Can't imagine as this all shakes out that Scott Drew will come out of this with his head above water. When the shoe company stuff drops, he has to be wrapped up in it. No other reason to justify the talent he has gotten to Waco TX.

MoCoMdIllini

Montgomery County, Maryland
Can't imagine as this all shakes out that Scott Drew will come out of this with his head above water. When the shoe company stuff drops, he has to be wrapped up in it. No other reason to justify the talent he has gotten to Waco TX.

Really? The Dr. Pepper Museum and Free Enterprise Institute wouldn't do it for them?

:D