Coaching Carousel

On the opposite side of that coin, I can't think of any reason Mack would want to leave his cherry situation for a post apocalyptic hoops nightmare (hyperbole, but it was fun to write). Louisville fell down a lot of rungs in the pecking order with all of this crap, and I would be surprised if they got a hire half as good as Mack.

We will see. I don't think they're really gonna get much more than a slap on the wrist because the NCAA is incompetent and there's still a good amount of talent in that program. It's dropped slightly but I'd still view it as a top 10-12 job in the sport.

This was from several years ago so can't find the link, but I remember reading that Mack's dream job was Louisville and the only programs he'd consider leaving Xavier for were Louisville, Duke, UNC, UCLA and Kentucky. Obviously the scandal changes things, but definitely still a highly regarded job in coaching circles.

On the opposite side of that coin, I can't think of any reason Mack would want to leave his cherry situation for a post apocalyptic hoops nightmare (hyperbole, but it was fun to write). Louisville fell down a lot of rungs in the pecking order with all of this crap, and I would be surprised if they got a hire half as good as Mack.

They will not, Kentucky as a state is hard enough to compete for recruits against the Blue Blood sorts with a reputation that Louisville once had. They definitely are not close to that and may never be again at least any time soon.

Someone like Kenny Payne could get them back to prominence if not only from the initial recruiting standpoint...otherwise they may end up (Mooney) or the like similar from smaller conference?

Keatts will not be an option for a multitude of reasons, least of which he was the assistant during the time that they had to ultimately forfeit wins etc...Cant see the school going back down that track even IF he wanted do from a PR standpoint alone.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I'll be very surprised if Tubby gets a job at a P5 program at this point in his career. Any luster he ever had has been washed down the rain gutters in Memphis.

So no Roger Powell? Bummer.

That ship sailed awhile ago. Roger was a top guy for that job and he decided to stay at Vandy. He’s probably up for a better job than Missouri State soon anyway and he’s got a great bunch of recruits coming in. Bright future for Candy and RP.

Hearing potential changes at Miami and by the dominos falling then South Carolina and Wichita State.

Deleted member 631370

D
That ship sailed awhile ago. Roger was a top guy for that job and he decided to stay at Vandy. He’s probably up for a better job than Missouri State soon anyway and he’s got a great bunch of recruits coming in. Bright future for Candy and RP.

Hearing potential changes at Miami and by the dominos falling then South Carolina and Wichita State.

Frank Martin to Miami makes total sense.

But Marshall to South Carolina? I know he's from there, but he has turned down major programs to stay at Wichita State. Money isn't an issue -- the Koch money will keep him happy at WSU. I guess it's a matter of how badly he wants to return home.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
No top tier coach is going to touch Louisville until the fallout from the scandal is understood.

There is lots of smoke putting Mack at Louisville. It personally makes no sense to me with the uncertainties surrounding the program, but his wife is from there and it is one of the few programs he has previously said he leave X for.

The Louisville people think its a done deal, and has been for a while.

Again, I don't think it makes sense after turning down jobs like tOSU and IU, but I'm not him.

There is lots of smoke putting Mack at Louisville. It personally makes no sense to me with the uncertainties surrounding the program, but his wife is from there and it is one of the few programs he has previously said he leave X for.

The Louisville people think its a done deal, and has been for a while.

Again, I don't think it makes sense after turning down jobs like tOSU and IU, but I'm not him.

I believe it is very telling if the bolded is the source of the "smoke

I am with you, just doesn't seem to make sense, wife from Louisville or not.

I believe it is very telling if the bolded is the source of the "smoke

I am with you, just doesn't seem to make sense, wife from Louisville or not.

Cincinnati people think there’s a very, very good chance Mack will take the UL job. But the idea that it has been a done deal for months is silly.

From Jon Rothstein regarding Chris Mack and Louisville:

There are two things that feel certain in life right now: Mack is going to be the next head coach of the Cardinals and Sylvester Stallone and Dolph Lundgren are again going to come nose to nose in theaters later this year.

Multiple sources have told FanRag Sports that Mack is the heavy front runner to be Louisville’s next head coach and he is eventually expected to receive an offer of at least four million dollars annually.

A separate source told FanRag Sports that nothing is expected to happen between the two sides this week.

Mack has told several confidants that Louisville is the job he’d like to leave Xavier for due to the school’s resources, tradition, and also the fact that the Cardinals play in the ACC. His wife’s family is also from the Louisville area.

Could things change?

Absolutely, but it would be as big of a shock as Creed 2 hitting theaters and not seeing Stallone and Lundgren face to face 33 years after they tore the house down in Rocky 4.

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothstein-files-leonard-hamilton-is-attempting-to-make-history/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

So, if he takes it, I wonder if Xavier keeps the streak of great coaching hires alive. Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller and Mack have made a pretty impressive 33 year run for them.

If they go the assistant route like they’ve done in the past it’ll be Travis Steele. I know he’s a finalist for the Middle Tennessee job right now which could be an issue timing wise though.

So, if he takes it, I wonder if Xavier keeps the streak of great coaching hires alive. Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller and Mack have made a pretty impressive 33 year run for them.

Would Matta go back given the history & how well he could recruit the area?

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Wonder what this will mean for local stud Kendle Moore.

Medved is a very good recruiter (brought in most of the talent that CSU had while Tim Miles was there.) Wouldn't be surprised to see his recruits follow him to Fort Collins. Plus a very nice upgrade over Des Moines, imo. Given that they weren't able to pull Hammon away from the Spurs, this is looking like a good hire for them. Doubt they'll ever be a real strong program but a big improvement over Larry Eustachy.

Is Matta coming back this year? Maybe he just didn't quite like the Georgia job enough, but his declining of that job sounded like he wasn't physically ready for it.

"I just don't feel that I am completely ready at this point"

Yeah, I read that too. Just seems odd to interview at 2 schools for jobs & then throw out the "I'm not ready" line. Obviously am just guessing. But maybe something was not a fit at those places & the not ready answer was politically correct?