Coaching Carousel

There was an article in our paper about this today. I didn't know he was born in Lincoln and his kid plays for Izzo. The article also says he has said he would prefer another NBA job.

The NU AD said he has not talked to Miles about his future and won't until their season is over, maybe they win the NIT to save his job.

His Grandfather, Jerry Bush, was HC at Nebraska from 1954 -1963 and Fred's niece currently works in the Nebraska BB office.

There was an article in our paper about this today. I didn't know he was born in Lincoln and his kid plays for Izzo. The article also says he has said he would prefer another NBA job.

The NU AD said he has not talked to Miles about his future and won't until their season is over, maybe they win the NIT to save his job.
Maybe he hasn’t talked to miles. Speculation: Looking for better options (hoiberg, Altman) if he finds a better option, will fire miles, and if not miles is back??

illini80

Forgottonia
IMO Hoiberg would be an upgrade for NE. They have facilities second to none from what I’ve heard and I believe he could establish them as a top 5-6 program. Many probably wouldn’t agree, but had the timing been different, I would have loved to have him at Illinois.

IMO Hoiberg would be an upgrade for NE. They have facilities second to none from what I’ve heard and I believe he could establish them as a top 5-6 program. Many probably wouldn’t agree, but had the timing been different, I would have loved to have him at Illinois.

Hoiberg was a very solid college coach and would do just fine...assuming he can tolerate recruiting again. That'd be a great hire for them.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I really don't get the "fire Miles" camp. He's made Nebrasketball a thing... I understand they were hurt a lot this season and didn't have the year they wanted. But, like... he's not doing a bad job there.

Not sure I agree that Miles has made Nebraska basketball thing. For us he may feel more relevant because he's been Nebraska's coach since moving over to B1G. Comparison to previous coaches:

Barry Collier (00-06): 89-91
Doc Sadler (06-12): 101-89
Tim Miles (12-19): 115-113

Hoiberg was a very solid college coach and would do just fine...assuming he can tolerate recruiting again. That'd be a great hire for them.

Is all Fred needs to do is hire a couple of "bag men" to handle recruiting and he will be okay. Heck, I know some BIG coaches that do it that way.:D

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Buddy connected to SIU has told me Bryan Mullins will be announced as the head coach soon.

SKane

Tennessee
Coach Phil Martelli fired by St. Joseph's.

SKane

Tennessee
Wow! He’s been there a long time I think.

You are right.

Twenty-four years as Head Coach and ten years before that as An Assistant Coach.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26307312/st-joseph-fires-martelli-34-year-run

The quote from their AD is something else.

Saint Joseph's athletic director Jill Bodensteiner told The Associated Press that while it was "excruciating" to part ways with Martelli, she "didn't feel like we were giving the student-athletes an optimal chance to succeed."

I recall when I was working and the executives had the big lay-offs and sell-offs. Then they told the workers how we should feel sorry for them because they had to make such difficult decisions.

I wonder how long the AD has been there.

illini55

The Villages, FL
Oh sure yeah, great Montana State. It couldn't wait a year. You know a powerhouse like Montana State could really suffer from another .500 record.
EVERYONE wants at least the illusion of winning. You should be painfully aware off that concept, given these last many years. You can't blame the AD for that.

Coach Phil Martelli fired by St. Joseph's.

Martelli's father, who was a big part of the program, died this year. I happened to turn on the St. Joe's following his death when they honored him pre-game with video montage and moment of silence. Very moving. Can't remember who the game was against, but every player from the other team came over and gave him a hug.

Buzz About UCLA and John Calipari

It's known that Calipari has always liked the UCLA job, loving Los Angeles and the lifestyle.

UCLA, in doing its due diligence since firing Steve Alford on New Year's Eve in December, has had time to kick the tires on all the big-named coaches in the game to gauge interest. Calipari was one who seriously reciprocated.

https://247sports.com/college/illin...-Buzz-About-UCLA-and-John-Calipari-130307355/

illiniCA

DC Area

It's known that Calipari has always liked the UCLA job, loving Los Angeles and the lifestyle.

UCLA, in doing its due diligence since firing Steve Alford on New Year's Eve in December, has had time to kick the tires on all the big-named coaches in the game to gauge interest. Calipari was one who seriously reciprocated.

https://247sports.com/college/illin...-Buzz-About-UCLA-and-John-Calipari-130307355/

This make way more sense to me than the lakers

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

Calipari and his agent pump Kentucky for additional nickels and dimes every year with these floated rumors.