Coaching Carousel

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Hoiberg was Transfer U at ISU so wasn't a huge HS recruiter before he left. Will be interesting to see his strategy at Nebby.

And he was a pioneer then. The transfer market has become much more competitive.

That Hoiberg seemingly preferred Nebraska to UCLA speaks volumes to me.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
He didn’t enjoy it but he was good at it.

I wouldn't call Hoiberg a recruiting savant. He's a solid tactician and development coach who is able to get a lot of team success out of unheralded recruits (often JUCOs).

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Hoiberg's recruiting rankings at Iowa State

2010: 68th (8th in Big XII)
2011: 79th (8th in Big XII)
2012: 39th (4th in Big XII)
2013: 40th (5th in Big XII)
2014: 120th (9th in Big XII)
2015: 72nd (9th in Big XII)

Illini living in Iowa. Local talk says Hoiberg was on the UCLA list but not at top. NBA reputation had been lowered by Bulls performance so no job prospects there. Another successful college gig may rebuild his value. His NBA flight risk hurt his last two years of recruiting at Iowa State, will be interesting to see how he does at Nebraska as other staffs will use that against him again.

illini80

Forgottonia
Hoiberg's recruiting rankings at Iowa State

2010: 68th (8th in Big XII)
2011: 79th (8th in Big XII)
2012: 39th (4th in Big XII)
2013: 40th (5th in Big XII)
2014: 120th (9th in Big XII)
2015: 72nd (9th in Big XII)
4 straight NCAA's before he bolted. Get me there and I don't care if it's JUCO's or grad transfers. Actually, it's even more impressive considering those rankings. Imagine what we would do to him on here with those rankings. Lol.

I'm not surprised at his lack of success with the Bulls. Pax has proven to be a master at underachieving. How he still has a job is amazing.

NE is definitely spending some money between both fb & bb coaches.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-...cle_74aade85-35b5-5b9a-b7eb-0c444ad4cc58.html

I think this underscores the resources available in the Big Ten, when a team like Nebraska is willing to go out and spend like this for a basketball coach & a basketball coach with the background of Hoiberg will consider Nebraska. Sure he has some local ties, maybe he likes the lower bar on expectations at Nebraska(compared to UCLA or other big name options), but a very good hire for a program that most of there fans didn't know they even had a basketball program not too many years ago.

Deleted member 643761

D
4 straight NCAA's before he bolted. Get me there and I don't care if it's JUCO's or grad transfers. Actually, it's even more impressive considering those rankings. Imagine what we would do to him on here with those rankings. Lol.

I'm not surprised at his lack of success with the Bulls. Pax has proven to be a master at underachieving. How he still has a job is amazing.
Your bar is far lower than mine.

Freddy will be an interesting insertion to the BIG for sure. His teams play zero defense, but try to play fast paced and outscore you.

illini80

Forgottonia
Your bar is far lower than mine.
I understand. Once we become relevant again, I'll be looking for S16 or better on a regular basis. We have a long way to go before we have to worry about that. We have half a generation of mediocrity to wipe from memory.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I know at times we played good defense, but overall it was mostly bad. Hopefully that trend ends starting next year.

Have to throw out the first year (e.g. Russian judge), as that squad was ill-equipped to defend. Year 2 was a marked improvement (admittedly, very low bar). Need to take another step or three forward this coming season. Am fairly confident we will.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Calipari's offer from UCLA supposedly included $48 million. Kentucky working on getting him a lifetime contract.

sacraig

The desert
Calipari's offer from UCLA supposedly included $48 million. Kentucky working on getting him a lifetime contract.

I don't honestly know if this is sarcasm, but if not, that would be nuts.

U4oZi03l_bigger.jpg
Seth Davis‏Verified account @SethDavisHoops 1h1 hour ago

Conversations between UCLA and Calipari have been much more extensive than previously reported. Here is my report for ⁦@TheAthleticCBB

Calipari seals lifetime deal to finish career at UK
Calipari, whose current contract at Kentucky runs through 2024, is the highest-paid basketball coach in the country, with total compensation of $9.2 million this year, according to the USA Today Sports database. He also receives a reported retention bonus of $2.6 million in each of the next three Julys.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26418442/calipari-seals-life-deal-finish-career-uk

sacraig

The desert
Calipari, whose current contract at Kentucky runs through 2024, is the highest-paid basketball coach in the country, with total compensation of $9.2 million this year, according to the USA Today Sports database. He also receives a reported retention bonus of $2.6 million in each of the next three Julys.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26418442/calipari-seals-life-deal-finish-career-uk

The last paragraph is awfully generous. In short, "Calipari's teams have vacated two Final Four appearances because of various pay-to-play and eligibility issues, but Calipari wouldn't know anything about that."

illini80

Forgottonia

That’ll write a lot of checks for potential recruits!

Just goes to show that being crooked can pay off! BIG time 🤬