Coaching Carousel

foby

Bonnaroo Land
What did Illinois have when Lon came? He left because he more than doubled his salary. What did UNLV have, and he took them to the tournament? What did OK have when he went there? He has been fairly successful every where he went. Fla. was nothing, before he brought it back Kstate became something during Kruger's time. You are totally wrong about Lon Kruger.
Although their motives may be different, it is the same pattern of a highly talented coach that jumps jobs often, at least early in their careers.

Deleted member 29907

D
Has Shaka been let go, officially? I hadn’t seen anything on that.
No, just that he seems to be open to discussions - re: UCLA. Not sure why but he still seems to have the glow of the VCU run emitting from dome

Although their motives may be different, it is the same pattern of a highly talented coach that jumps jobs often, at least early in their careers.
Yep. I was totally like, "Man, I am climbing the ladder way too fast. I need to slow this career down a little. Smell the roses and whatnot."

Tequila can make that happen. Who knew? /s

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
when he left Marquette he was losing 5 of his top 7 players. At Virginia Tech he's losing 4 of his top 6 players. No patience for a rebuild. Sorta like Lon Kruger

Lon Kruger, who left Illinois the year before they won the Big Ten? Who left UNLV the year before the finished their first season ranked in many years? Who took Oklahoma to the Final Four and then stuck around for them to go 11-20 the following year? Having a hard time seeing the comparison.

That's a very painful article to read. Sorry to hear this and wish him and his family the best through the very difficult journey ahead.
I was at a coaching conference a little over a year ago and heard Knight talk. Unfortunately I saw the same things, it's really quite sad how much his memory is slipping him. No exaggeration, he literally repeated some things at least 20 times. You could tell the crowd felt uncomfortable about half-way into his talk.

Lon Kruger, who left Illinois the year before they won the Big Ten? Who left UNLV the year before the finished their first season ranked in many years? Who took Oklahoma to the Final Four and then stuck around for them to go 11-20 the following year? Having a hard time seeing the comparison.

Pretty sure Lon left Illinois 2 years before they won he B1G in '01.

Jerry Stackhouse been hired as the men's basketball coach at Vanderbilt. It appears they are following the model of Memphis hiring Penny Hardaway.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...2/vanderbilt-winless-sec-run-hires-stackhouse
Yeah, I saw this too. It is interesting that there was quite a bit of interest on this board to hire Bryce Drew and now he has been fired. I think that beyond coaching and recruiting a little bit of luck and dominos falling to turn things around in a timely manner. It makes me wonder how the Illini might have fared this year if THT had been able to come here. Just sayin’.

Yep - sad for Tech - he's really pulled the program up from the depths - but the smoke has been out there since the beginning of the year. Not a strange move since he has ties to A&M, and more money but sad still to get a team to the S16 and the bolt.

Isn't that basically what Self did to us?

Last edited:

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
In some in-state news, SIU-Edwardsville didn't renew Jon Harris's contract after win totals of 6, 6, 9, and 10 in his 4 seasons, and they replace him with assistant Brian Barone. Doesn't seem they will ever be able to capitalize on their proximity to St. Louis.

Deleted member 643761

D
In some in-state news, SIU-Edwardsville didn't renew Jon Harris's contract after win totals of 6, 6, 9, and 10 in his 4 seasons, and they replace him with assistant Brian Barone. Doesn't seem they will ever be able to capitalize on their proximity to St. Louis.
Am I understanding this correctly? They aren't in a conference? Seems like that should be a first step.