Coaching Carousel

sacraig

The desert
Remember when we fired Weber and then struck out on a bunch of coaches and everyone was upset because we were a good non-blue-blood program that had fallen on hard times? Now imagine you are UCLA, who were at one point the bluest of blue bloods, and you strike out very publicly like they have.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Remember when we fired Weber and then struck out on a bunch of coaches and everyone was upset because we were a good non-blue-blood program that had fallen on hard times? Now imagine you are UCLA, who were at one point the bluest of blue bloods, and you strike out very publicly like they have.

They still took an excellent coach from an excellent program. But man...that just seems like a weird fit. Did they make a run at Musselman? That would have made more sense to me.

A UCLA fan would point out here that they have a terrible AD who has been there forever and seems bulletproof. An RG-type situation.

sacraig

The desert
They still took an excellent coach from an excellent program. But man...that just seems like a weird fit. Did they make a run at Musselman? That would have made more sense to me.

A UCLA fan would point out here that they have a terrible AD who has been there forever and seems bulletproof. An RG-type situation.

I'm aware that Mick Cronin has been an excellent coach and has built that program into a very consistent winner with 9 straight tournaments (though only two conference championships). Still, you would think a program like UCLA would have found someone with more than one Sweet Sixteen on their resume. Just a weird fit and clearly not their plan A or B.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I'm aware that Mick Cronin has been an excellent coach and has built that program into a very consistent winner with 9 straight tournaments (though only two conference championships). Still, you would think a program like UCLA would have found someone with more than one Sweet Sixteen on their resume. Just a weird fit and clearly not their plan A or B.

Before Kentucky hired Cal they hired Billy Gillispie. Before UNC hired Roy they hired Matt Doherty.

It's a very seductive and clicks-generating idea that programs have some inchoate quality (coded essentially as "the fans" which is why it's so seductive and clicks-generating) that strictly and reliably determines the desirability of the coaches they are destined to hire.

Sadly, it ain't so, and it's mainly just a question of luck and how much money you have to spend. UCLA offered Calipari less than he makes at Kentucky and balked at paying an $8 million buyout for Jamie Dixon, so, yeah, I think that points to where you should look.

sacraig

The desert
Before Kentucky hired Cal they hired Billy Gillispie. Before UNC hired Roy they hired Matt Doherty.

It's a very seductive and clicks-generating idea that programs have some inchoate quality (coded essentially as "the fans" which is why it's so seductive and clicks-generating) that strictly and reliably determines the desirability of the coaches they are destined to hire.

Sadly, it ain't so, and it's mainly just a question of luck and how much money you have to spend. UCLA offered Calipari less than he makes at Kentucky and balked at paying an $8 million buyout for Jamie Dixon, so, yeah, I think that points to where you should look.

I don't recall using "the fans" as a reason a coaching job at UCLA would seemingly be attractive. I would think the bigger factors would probably be its long history of success, ability (and in some cases willingness) to offer a large salary, and proximity to extremely fertile recruiting. Clearly there are other factors involved that mitigate some of this.

Not surprised Hurley is staying at Arizona St. Though ASU loses its leading scorer as well as its leading rebounder, everyone else of consequence is back and he has a nice recruiting class coming in -- about #30 if I remember correctly. But the main thing is I don't think St. John's holds as much appeal as it did years ago, and I think Hurley has his sights set on bigger things. He has ASU in a good place, so might as well pad your resume in the weak Pac-12 until a top job he wants comes open.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Alford, puke. We have our list of coaches we dislike here for a long list of reasons. A lot of them are purely basketball related. But I will never stop posting on how much of an A-Hole Alford is as a human.

Alford, puke. We have our list of coaches we dislike here for a long list of reasons. A lot of them are purely basketball related. But I will never stop posting on how much of an A-Hole Alford is as a human.

From what I've heard, his being an A-Hole to the UCLA boosters was a good part of why he got let go. Boosters also had a hand in getting rid of Howland from what I hear. Cronin better kiss up to the boosters well or go deep in the tourney fairly often or he'll likely be looking for a job in four years or so.

Anyone whose read his involvement in the Pierre Pierce incident would find it unbelievable that he still has a job.

One of my favorite parts of his introductory press conference at UCLA was when a reporter asked him if Wooden would have handled the Pierre Pierce case the way Alford did.

Thought it was interesting hearing Barnes admit he would have left for UCLA if they would have paid his buyout.
Seems like that may leave a bad taste in Tennessee fans mouths?