Coaching Carousel

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Interesting that Dan Gilbert, Cavs owner, is an MSU alum.

Actually sorry to see Beilein leave, even tho he had our number. I like having great coaches in the conference as I think it almost forces everyone else to be better.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
Has to be soul crushing for Michigan. They were on track to be a perennial top 5-10 program if not there already. Beilein is a fantastic coach. Loss for the Big Ten in general but a huge win for the other Big Ten programs. Michigan is far weaker today.

I am going to give it a day or two. How many coaches have signed a contract and then the reality hit and they went back? I think there have been a few, but cannot recall them at this moment.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Wonder what the contract numbers are with the cav's contract....$$$$$....??????

I wonder if the young defensive coach for Michigan will become the new head coach? (yaklich, I think it is)

I am going to give it a day or two. How many coaches have signed a contract and then the reality hit and they went back? I think there have been a few, but cannot recall them at this moment.

Billy Donovan did that to the Magic before going back to Florida.

The grass is always greener....
Espn had an article suggesting he was tired of the way rosters turnover in college these days, and the mess that is recruiting. I think it's a glaring indictment of the NCAA when a coach gets to the highest level, is widely considered a clean guy with integrity, and leaves partly because of all the dirty stuff that goes on. Btw, I don't believe the program is as clean as the coach, but that's another story.

He's 66 and has a reported 5 year contract. I would assume that's all guaranteed given his stature in the college world. If he gets canned early, he can take the money and still go back to college.

Coaches get thrown under the bus all the time, but given Cleveland's in a rebuild, and they're investing in him, it looks like a good situation, especially if he's itching to try out coaching at that level.

Beilein to Cavs, wow

Wow! Did not see that coming. Didn’t even realize he was a candidate.

Speaking of Beilein... it wasn’t until his 5th season that he had turned around UM. Underwood has time. I think we’re at the peak of talent during his tenure so, as a fan, I expect next year’s results to exceed the previous years which would mean tourney berth to me.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
*cough* poor scUM *cough*

giphy.gif

Bruce Weber and Mike Davis are getting some run on Twitter among the coaching rumor community as suggested candidates. That would be wild to see those guys back in the Big 10. Don't see if happening though.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Billy Donovan did that to the Magic before going back to Florida.

Speaking of whom, Sporting News has an article about replacements and Billy Donovan is listed first. I don't think, however, that these are official candidates, just the author's musings on the situation.

Nine candidates

Interesting...isn't Beilein know for reinforcing fundamentals? Didn't he spend the first 10 minutes of each practice on the art of passing (chest pass, bounce pass, etc.)? I imagine some of his basic coaching methods won't translate well in the NBA (I don't think Wooden's "here is how you put on your socks" method would have been effective in the NBA either :) ).

I guess the assumption is he doesn't NEED to do that in the NBA. He's definitely a good recruiter and developer of talent. A pretty solid tactician as well. I just can't help but believe his skills are better suited to college than the NBA.

Regardless, wish him the best.

Interesting...isn't Beilein know for reinforcing fundamentals? Didn't he spend the first 10 minutes of each practice on the art of passing (chest pass, bounce pass, etc.)? I imagine some of his basic coaching methods won't translate well in the NBA (I don't think Wooden's "here is how you put on your socks" method would have been effective in the NBA either :) ).

I guess the assumption is he doesn't NEED to do that in the NBA. He's definitely a good recruiter and developer of talent. A pretty solid tactician as well. I just can't help but believe his skills are better suited to college than the NBA.

Regardless, wish him the best.

He could probably field an NBA team with just his former players.