Coaching Carousel

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I am only guessing but 30 million plus is a good reason

Yeah and it has to intrigue these super-competitive coaches to try their hand at that level of ball. Their offseason gets underway and they sit watching these showpiece playoff games thinking of all the different things they'd draw up and matchups they'd try to exploit.

I don't think Underwood's style was ever going to beat Beilein. They were so well coached at Michigan, great spacing, great roster construction. Beilein did a great job there, I am more than ready for Michigan to get knocked off their perch.

I don't think Underwood's style was ever going to beat Beilein. They were so well coached at Michigan, great spacing, great roster construction. Beilein did a great job there, I am more than ready for Michigan to get knocked off their perch.
We got pretty darn close a couple times. Considering our roster vs theirs, I would lean much heavier on the talent disparity rather than BU's style.

Deleted member 29907

D
We got pretty darn close a couple times. Considering our roster vs theirs, I would lean much heavier on the talent disparity rather than BU's style.
Have to agree. JB didn't turn it around until into 5 yrs - let's give our coach a chance now that he's gotten more of his type of player. JB is a very good coach but to say he's unbeatable due to style or coaching ability is a stretch IMO. Look what BU did to MSU and Winston - that was pure defensive talent and coaching scheme. JB does/did have a very good ability to adjust at half time - that's usually the assistants. We need to improve in that area (adjustments) quite a bit.

I donā€™t really agree with that. Underwood is still getting all the pieces together to fully utilize his style.
I still remember people questioning Beilein if he would fit in the B1G after 3-4 seasons, and it ended up turning out pretty well for UM.
Fun to speculate though, i suppose.

I honestly don't think BU will get out coached by anyone, unlike Groce. Or maybe I should say I don't think he will consistently get outcoached (because every coach will at some points throughout a season). I think there's still major question marks about his system, but I would postulate that it has helped more than hindered so far. It seems to even the playing field more when talking about talent disparity.

Belien should be a HOF coach, and he's absolutely one of the best in the game right now. This will make our lives easier. You simply cant replace a coach like him. There's maybe two names that I think would even consider leaving and could continue that kind of success (Wright and Few), and I doubt either leave for scum.

?
We played UM twice under BU and lost both games 79-69. Both of them were over with over 10 minutes left in the game.
Considering they were like the number 3 team in the nation, I think keeping that game within 10 points for basically the entire time is pretty impressive. I was moreso pointing out BU didn't get taken to the woodshed by Beilein in either of those games. On paper, a 15+ pt loss was likely, yet we were in that game for the majority of it. Two years ago my memory is more hazy, but I think we had the lead at half (or close to it). That team went to the championship game.

Like I said, Beilein is a HOF coach (whether or not he makes it is up for debate I guess), but BU was not out coached in either of those games. Talent played a much bigger role.

We were never in this game: http://barttorvik.com/box.php?muid=MichiganIllinois1-10&year=2019

Western Michigan did better: http://barttorvik.com/box.php?muid=Western+MichiganMichigan12-15&year=2019

I am at a complete loss at how you can point to losing by 10 as a sign of a good coach. Especially when we lost to Iowa by 20+ twice in one year.

Michigan lost by 19 to Texas Tech, to Wisconsin by 10, to Iowa by 15, and MSU by 12 last year. By your standards Beilein sucks.

We were never in this game: http://barttorvik.com/box.php?muid=MichiganIllinois1-10&year=2019

Western Michigan did better: http://barttorvik.com/box.php?muid=Western+MichiganMichigan12-15&year=2019

I am at a complete loss at how you can point to losing by 10 as a sign of a good coach. Especially when we lost to Iowa by 20+ twice in one year.

Lol at this take. Michigan was #2 in the country and undefeated 15-0 at this point in the season and we were within single digits a fair amount of the game with a bunch of underclassmen. Michigan also had a few double-digit losses last year to inferior teams, therefore by your logic JB must be a pretty average coach.

I liked Beilein, but Iā€™m happy to see him gone if it helps ScUM descend to the bowels of the B1G where they belong!

Back to the days of ā€œBuck Foā€ and ā€œFrieder sucksā€! Thatā€™s a long time to hate ScUM and everything Maize and Blue . . . but Iā€™ve got patience!

When you show me Michigan fans pointing to those double digit losses and calling them "close" then you will have a point.

When you show me a Michigan recap saying "Thanks to the excellent coaching, Michigan was able to keep it within 10 against Wisconsin", you will have a point.

You guys know what Beilein had to go with those handful of losses? A lot more wins. Nobody needed to pretend those loses were good games to show he was good.

Here's the post game: https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum/threads/michigan-79-illinois-69-postgame.24798/

First comment: "We didnā€™t get murdered ... right??"

Yeah, real close game there. Almost had them.

You can be bullish on Underwood, there are some positive signs. Losing by 10 twice to the same time is not one of them.

Really donā€™t understand what point youā€™re trying to make here; none of this is apples to apples.

Finding optimism in keeping things fairly competitive against what was arguably the top team in the country isnā€™t unreasonable. Tremendously different expectations between these two teams. I donā€™t think anyone here would be pointing to the 10 point loss as a positive say, if we werenā€™t in year two of a rebuild with a super inexperienced roster.

Deleted member 643761

D
Absolutely shocked by this news. I don't understand how it can be seen as anything but a blow to the overall health of the conference.

I suppose. But he's put Michigan on the map in ways that really hasn't happened before since previous winning teams were followed by sanctions. So I'm guessing they'll get a very strong person to step in.

That said, I've al
I liked Beilein, but Iā€™m happy to see him gone if it helps ScUM descend to the bowels of the B1G where they belong!

Back to the days of ā€œBuck Foā€ and ā€œFrieder sucksā€! Thatā€™s a long time to hate ScUM and everything Maize and Blue . . . but Iā€™ve got patience!

When I hear the few people on here who say they feel bad I think, "Yeah, me too. I'm getting a little nauseous after all the hand springs I'm doing over the news."