Coaching Carousel

He's denying it fairly abrasively but I don't doubt the accuracy of the report. Harbaugh has not performed. His record on paper may look fine in a vacuum but they didn't hire the guy to beat Northwestern, Purdue or the good guys. He's paid to win the Big Ten, play in the CFB Playoff and perhaps even more importantly than both of those gigantic milestones, he's paid to beat Ohio State. He's yet to accomplish what he was outright hired to accomplish and when you fail to meet expectations, your "schtick" gets very old very quickly. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see this end in divorce come January.

It's only his second year there but Chad Morris is on the ropes in Arkansas. Ugly losses to lesser programs, zero life against Auburn and Martavius French just decommitted. Times are very tough in Fayetteville, Morris may not survive.

It's only his second year there but Chad Morris is on the ropes in Arkansas. Ugly losses to lesser programs, zero life against Auburn and Martavius French just decommitted. Times are very tough in Fayetteville, Morris may not survive.
Ya Arkansas looks like dog ish

Little Rock, Arkansas
Dino Babers continues his rough year. But after the 10-2 record last year, he will easily see next year where everyone will figure out if this is just a one time regression season.

Harbaugh is really interesting. I can't really see Michigan letting him go. I can't really think of a realistic option to replace him that would be better than he is. If Jim Harbaugh can't win at Michigan who can?

Harbaugh is really interesting. I can't really see Michigan letting him go. I can't really think of a realistic option to replace him that would be better than he is. If Jim Harbaugh can't win at Michigan who can?
Good question and overall thoughts. I definitely don't have the answer.

More and more rumblings that Willie Taggart and Charlie Strong will both be out at FSU and USF respectively.

Charlie Strong has been HORRIBLE at USF. They recently went through a 1-9 stretch where the win was over an FCS team and the 9 losses were all blowouts.

Charlie Strong has been HORRIBLE at USF. They recently went through a 1-9 stretch where the win was over an FCS team and the 9 losses were all blowouts.
That’s too bad, I always liked Charlie. Might we see Taggart go from FSU back to USF?

Little Rock, Arkansas
What the heck happened to Charlie Strong??

I mean, he had Louisville hummin 2 seasons in a row. I wonder if he regrets taking the Texas job.

Little Rock, Arkansas
I can think of 25 million reasons he doesn’t regret taking the Texas job
True.

But take money out of it and just think about the “being successful at your chosen occupation” aspect. He seemed to be a dang good coach. What happened??

Austin
True.

But take money out of it and just think about the “being successful at your chosen occupation” aspect. He seemed to be a dang good coach. What happened??
For some people, success is measured by money earned, so that's not always an easy way to look at it. But how he measures success is something we will probably never really know about him.

As far as what happened, not being successful at UT can beat you down. Fans here are more entitled than any fan base I've ever seen. It's disgusting really. I revel in every loss because of the way the fans are here.

Combine that entitlement with the underlying race issues still present in the south today, and the racism hidden under the "Austin is a tolerant paradise" type thing, and it gets even uglier.

My speculation would be that the pressure of the job, combined with the environment of entitlement and both overt and hidden racism, combined with being the first black coach at UT, combined with the lack of success probably impacted him fairly hard mentally and emotionally. Probably could have benefited from a year off just to regroup and get the heck out. He wasn't never appreciated, nor given a fair chance, from the start IMO.

Austin
For some people, success is measured by money earned, so that's not always an easy way to look at it. But how he measures success is something we will probably never really know about him.

As far as what happened, not being successful at UT can beat you down. Fans here are more entitled than any fan base I've ever seen. It's disgusting really. I revel in every loss because of the way the fans are here.

Combine that entitlement with the underlying race issues still present in the south today, and the racism hidden under the "Austin is a tolerant paradise" type thing, and it gets even uglier.

My speculation would be that the pressure of the job, combined with the environment of entitlement and both overt and hidden racism, combined with being the first black coach at UT, combined with the lack of success probably impacted him fairly hard mentally and emotionally. Probably could have benefited from a year off just to regroup and get the heck out. He wasn't never appreciated, nor given a fair chance, from the start IMO.
Wasn't ever. Ugh that is one typo I can't let go.

A lot of fanbases of traditional powerhouses like to forget that even when their school is good it rarely translates to a National Championship, let alone multiple.

Saban is definitely not the norm. Some fan bases are just over inflated.

A lot of fanbases of traditional powerhouses like to forget that even when their school is good it rarely translates to a National Championship, let alone multiple.

I think the BCS format has made it worse in some ways. With the old bowl game system, multiple teams could often "claim victory" for the season. With the BCS, there is just one champion. Then you have the top powers from back then who have fallen on some hard times, and their fan bases don't want to hear that they shouldn't be playing for a championship every year. Texas and Nebraska come to mind. I just happened to see an old (Sept. 2019) article about Nebraska announcing plans to build a new $155M, 350,000 sq. ft. football complex. Crazy.

I would definitely agree. Unfortunately, that doesn’t stop administrators from making these emotionally charged decisions. Delusion is strong among many.

I’m not sure I have a ton of sympathy for the HCs of these programs, however. We may think it’s crazy for Tennessee to be raking Jeremy Pruitt over the coals right now but he should have known full well what he was getting himself into expectation wise when he took that job. Sneaking into a bowl game will never fly there.

Little Rock, Arkansas

Yeah, I was following the UT stuff, it seemed like the deck was stacked against him there. But I figured he would thrive at USF with less pressure/outside distractions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would definitely agree. Unfortunately, that doesn’t stop administrators from making these emotionally charged decisions. Delusion is strong among many.

I’m not sure I have a ton of sympathy for the HCs of these programs, however. We may think it’s crazy for Tennessee to be raking Jeremy Pruitt over the coals right now but he should have known full well what he was getting himself into expectation wise when he took that job. Sneaking into a bowl game will never fly there.
Conversely you have Holgerson getting caught with a hot mic losing his mind which to me is unacceptable. Trying to succeed and failing is different than tanking a season for some long term game plan that might not even work.

Would rather a coach try and just not win, than get paid a ton to do half a job now and the rest of it at maybe some point down the road.

I think the BCS format has made it worse in some ways. With the old bowl game system, multiple teams could often "claim victory" for the season. With the BCS, there is just one champion. Then you have the top powers from back then who have fallen on some hard times, and their fan bases don't want to hear that they shouldn't be playing for a championship every year. Texas and Nebraska come to mind. I just happened to see an old (Sept. 2019) article about Nebraska announcing plans to build a new $155M, 350,000 sq. ft. football complex. Crazy.
To be fair with the state of our program the last thing I thought we would do is get a sweet new facility.

It works, so I get it. What I don't get is schools(more the fanbases really) of places like Texas, Tennessee, etc thinking that they just get the best coaches. Coaches fail and succeed multiple times throughout their careers and even during games. It's not a perfect science and there's so many variables. You have to look at overall long term progression to know if you made the right hire.

Hiring a coach, firing him because you played in a 8-4 record bowl game isn't explicitly failure. To make a change because you didnt finish the season as THE CHAMPS just actually sets you back further.