Coaching Carousel

Yeah, I figured he was retiring when he left San Diego St. Maybe just doesn't want pressure of HC job. Though interesting that he's considering moving cross country given all his coaching has been in west. When Oregon St. was looking for new HC, some people were advocating for Rocky (he was Beavers DC for 4 seasons).
Hot rumor is that SDSU told him to make changes to his staff and he told them where to go. Not sure how true that is and I'm not sure I care either, I'm more intrigued by why he'd want to take the Syracuse DC position. As you note, it's on the other end of the country and Dino Babers isn't exactly locked into that job for life. To me, that job stinks. A guy like Rocky Long could no doubt have done better but to each their own I guess.

Hot rumor is that SDSU told him to make changes to his staff and he told them where to go. Not sure how true that is and I'm not sure I care either, I'm more intrigued by why he'd want to take the Syracuse DC position. As you note, it's on the other end of the country and Dino Babers isn't exactly locked into that job for life. To me, that job stinks. A guy like Rocky Long could no doubt have done better but to each their own I guess.
From what I've heard about Rocky, that wouldn't surprise me.

Seems like trading a job where you can do whatever you want with a job that has so much pressure for inexplicable reasons.

Won't be able to fall asleep while watching late night air raid anymore. Will just have to hope I get to catch Hawaii's Run n Shoot now.

I wish Mikey luck but this one is probably going to crash and burn.
He won with average talent, you don't think he will win with better talent? If anything I think he gets fired for his attitude, not his results.

He won with average talent, you don't think he will win with better talent? If anything I think he gets fired for his attitude, not his results.
That's what I'm referring to. Mike is an interesting guy. This is not a great fit for him.

Oswego, IL
That's what I'm referring to. Mike is an interesting guy. This is not a great fit for him.
I was thinking the same thing. His personality seemed to be perfect for a place like Washington State. Maybe it really wasn't and he was starting to wear on them out there.

That said, I think he might put together a few pretty good seasons, but I doubt this is going to be a long lasting tenure.

I don’t know much about football, but I don’t think mike leach works out in the sec for x and o reasons. The has done its damage in lesser defensive conferences, but in the sec, where there a multiple nfl defenders hanging out and playing some football until they get drafted, I don’t know.

I’d take the air raid in every conference, power5 or not, except the sec (generally elite defensive talent and teams that care about defense) and big ten (weather concerns, solid defensive talent, and teams that actually care about defense. )

people who know more about football can tell me why I’m wrong. I had this convo with a football coach at my school and his argument was unconvincing.

I don’t know much about football, but I don’t think mike leach works out in the sec for x and o reasons. The has done its damage in lesser defensive conferences, but in the sec, where there a multiple nfl defenders hanging out and playing some football until they get drafted, I don’t know.

I’d take the air raid in every conference, power5 or not, except the sec (generally elite defensive talent and teams that care about defense) and big ten (weather concerns, solid defensive talent, and teams that actually care about defense. )

people who know more about football can tell me why I’m wrong. I had this convo with a football coach at my school and his argument was unconvincing.
Air Raid worked at Kentucky when Leach coached there. Lots of SEC and Big Ten teams run Air Raid plays. If Leach fails, it's for non football reasons.

Air Raid worked at Kentucky when Leach coached there. Lots of SEC and Big Ten teams run Air Raid plays. If Leach fails, it's for non football reasons.
There’s a big difference between running those designs situationally and running the system the way Mikey does it, especially in the SEC where the 3 best programs are not so coincidentally lead by 3 of the better defensive coaches in the country.

Probably more about how well he recruits. It’s going to take a lot more than a “hello” and the Mike Leach charm to sign kids in MS/LA.

Mike Phair from Indy to Carolina. Per Indy Star, relationship with defensive coordinator Phil Snow who was defensive coordinator at ASU and hired Phair as graduate assistant

Brentson Buckner fired as Raiders DL coach. Does anybody know if there is any connection between he and Lovie?

Haha he is a a$$hat
He is a genuinely unlikable person and that's setting all of the publicized stuff aside. Just as a person, he's unlikable and that opinion is not isolated to me alone. He is universally disliked in the industry.

He'll do 2 years there and bounce. If that.

He is a genuinely unlikable person and that's setting all of the publicized stuff aside. Just as a person, he's unlikable and that opinion is not isolated to me alone. He is universally disliked in the industry.

He'll do 2 years there and bounce. If that.
Ive heard the same from other coaches......I actually didn't mind his brother when he was here.