Coaching Carousel

Looks like a solid hire yet. It'll probably be an improvement over dantonio post playoff.

Morrison, CO
Be interesting to see how Tucker does at MSU. Remains to be seen what kind of staff he can put together this late in the game. Assuming since they doubled his assistant salary pool that he would look to upgrade the staff rather than bring much of his CU staff along. He certainly under-performed his only year at CU. Lot of folks here in Colorado seem to be pretty torqued at the way he departed but maybe not too sad to see him go.

the Front Range
That
Be interesting to see how Tucker does at MSU. Remains to be seen what kind of staff he can put together this late in the game. Assuming since they doubled his assistant salary pool that he would look to upgrade the staff rather than bring much of his CU staff along. He certainly under-performed his only year at CU. Lot of folks here in Colorado seem to be pretty torqued at the way he departed but maybe not too sad to see him go.
whole situation seemed odd to me. When he was hired, CU folks were pretty excited about the hire. After the Nebraska game, people were very excited. Did the wheels just fall off at the end of the season?

Morrison, CO
That

whole situation seemed odd to me. When he was hired, CU folks were pretty excited about the hire. After the Nebraska game, people were very excited. Did the wheels just fall off at the end of the season?
They had an up and mostly down season in a very weak Pac 12. I think they lost 5 straight in conference at one point started off by an embarrassing loss at home to AZ.

Wow I thought we were a basketball school. I just watched a few min of the MT presser. Tom Izzo introducing Mel Tucker. Pecking order has been established. How do you go 5-7 at Colorado and land MSU? Agree with several of the posts on here, something is off.

Wow I thought we were a basketball school. I just watched a few min of the MT presser. Tom Izzo introducing Mel Tucker. Pecking order has been established. How do you go 5-7 at Colorado and land MSU? Agree with several of the posts on here, something is off.
Also I think Lovie now has competition in the B10 for the most awkward coach at a press conference.

Spending awhile as a DC in the nfl, at Georgia and hc at Colorado is a pretty solid resume. They are clearly looking at what he did before Colorado to justify this hire. They could have done alot worse all things considered.

I must be one of the few who loves how Lovie handles the media. Zero fluff.
sometimes it's fun to have a coach that will speak his mind and is really transparent but I think after the previous coach lovie is exactly the personality we needed.

A few thoughts on Mel Tucker Hire...

5 million+: wow, Not sure his resume is worth that, maybe a sign of where MSU football is at right now, struggling to stay at the Dantonio peak, in a tough B1G division...had to overpay to get a coach, but in the end if it works I'm sure it is worth it, but I'm betting this doesn't work just because of expectations & the pecking order of B1G East. MSU needs Tucker to be very special, odds are that whoever they hired flops.

5.5 million, stealing a coach from Colorado...shows the power/money of the B1G in general

be interesting on Staff...has the money to do something, but timing is awkward...long term this answer is probably how much staff he retains from Dantonio + how much staff turnover comes next year.

Colorado finally replaced Tucker, hiring Karl Dorrell. Former HC of UCLA, but has been in NFL for last 12 or so years. Also saw that Oregon hired Rod Chance away from Minnesota as their new CB coach. I think he was there for only a year (maybe two), so not sure how much it will impact the Gophers but we can hope.

I experienced the Karl Dorrell era at UCLA first hand. It was not pretty. He had five years and didn't build anything. It did not help that he replaced Bob Toledo who had been popular, good, and managed to beat USC a few times. Dorrell was boring, bland and never beat SC.

P.S. I attended the game in Pasadena where UCLA beat the Illini 6-3. You read that score right. One of the worst college football games I ever witnessed. Punt-fest.

Imo Colorado should’ve gone the intern coach route unless they could’ve got their guy(Bieniemy). They’re pissing away money at a coach that won’t last because their athletic dept’s not behind them

I experienced the Karl Dorrell era at UCLA first hand. It was not pretty. He had five years and didn't build anything. It did not help that he replaced Bob Toledo who had been popular, good, and managed to beat USC a few times. Dorrell was boring, bland and never beat SC.

P.S. I attended the game in Pasadena where UCLA beat the Illini 6-3. You read that score right. One of the worst college football games I ever witnessed. Punt-fest.
Me too...part of a Vegas LA trip out of Champaign...fun, Rose Bowl cool, game not so much

Morrison, CO
Imo Colorado should’ve gone the intern coach route unless they could’ve got their guy(Bieniemy). They’re pissing away money at a coach that won’t last because their athletic dept’s not behind them
Somehow CU managed to find a more baffling hire than CSU. I think the big question there now is whether they can retain Darrin Chiaverini somehow. He was the interim and it seems like it would have made more sense to keep him in that role for a year and see how he did.

Remember when Rick George was the sparkly object during our AD search? Maybe we dodged a bullet.

Mel Tucker resume isn’t even that impressive considering the lack of consistency in how long he stays at places. He’s had a few 1 year stunts with teams (NFL or NCAA). My own perspective of what I saw when he was DC for the Bears was that he should be coaching in college. Then Saban hires(saves) him after Chicago fires him lol. Though I am a little curious what can happen in East Lansing.

Last edited:
Mel Tucker resume isn’t even that impressive considering the lack of consistency in how long he stays at places. He’s had a few 1 year stunts with teams (NFL or NCAA). My own perspective of what I saw when he was DC for the Bears was that he should be coaching in college. Then Saban hires(saves) him after Chicago fires him lol. Though I am a little curious what can happen in East Lansing.
The resume that I see is incredibly impressive!