Coaching Carousel

Cary, IL
That's pennies to those schools.

I don't know if they have interest obviously but if FSU can raise 20M to buyout Willie Taggart, they can raise 10 to hire PJ Fleck. All this does is ensure Minnesota a nice payday if he bolts.
I appreciate that they play in a different $$$ zip code, but paying $20 M to send a guy away, $10 M to payoff the previous school and then a 5 year $5 M contract is a lot of money for anyone.

Old Man Club
As much as we all hate P. J. Fleck, just think if we could have grabbed him to coach the Illini??

No thanks. I don’t think his shtick would have worked here bc of the state of our program. He’s not the kind of coach who can built it from the ground up. He can only keep the boat floating (and rowing...apparently)
Look what he did at Western Michigan. Yeah the program wasn’t terrible under Cubit, but he went from 1-11 to 13-1 in just a few years. The ESPN video about the cancer survivor who is a backup holder for the team really changed my perspective on him. You can tell he genuinely loves his players and they love him back. I still have my hesitations on him (Jirehl Brock’s quotes about his recruiting style rubbed me the wrong way), but he has had results everywhere he’s gone.

Sooo inexplicably Deion Sanders is reportedly in consideration for the FSU job. He has no college coach experience. Was an offensive coordinator at a high school...

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-deion-sanders-a-candidate-for-florida-state-coaching-job-044331356.html
It makes sense and then again, no sense. It would be interesting how and who he would fill his staff. His son is a really good QB at Trinity Christian Cedar Hill TX and FSU desperately needs a QB. The crystal balls are 50/50 between FSU and Georgia.
https://247sports.com/Player/Shedeur-Sanders-46042823/

Normal, Illinois
I feel as if Fleck, like Mike Leach, won't be a guy interested and/or suited for "high profile" jobs at the P5 level. Mike Leach's personality is better suited for "lower profile" jobs like Texas Tech and Washington State where they're happy with just being a consistently solid program as compared to these other big schools that deem a 9-3 season a failure. Don't know if Fleck's whole "Row the Boat" shtick would be acceptable at a place like USC or Florida State.

I feel as if Fleck, like Mike Leach, won't be a guy interested and/or suited for "high profile" jobs at the P5 level. Mike Leach's personality is better suited for "lower profile" jobs like Texas Tech and Washington State where they're happy with just being a consistently solid program as compared to these other big schools that deem a 9-3 season a failure. Don't know if Fleck's whole "Row the Boat" shtick would be acceptable at a place like USC or Florida State.
Not necessarily sure I agree, but that was the sentiment among many here for all those years when Rick Majerus kept a candle burning in his window for our job.

I certainly don't think it would go at FSU I live in Florida and the FSU crew are looking for a Bobby Bowden good old boy type - Jimbo yes, Taggart not so much - Jimbo left according to the rumors - because FSU would not upgrade the facilities and recruiting was suffering. Prime time might bring back some swag but I think the young people might have a problem knowing who is.

Champaign Area
I've always wished we would have gotten Dantonio all those years ago. He's put together some great teams but this isn't his year, it's ours.

Plainfield
As to Harbaugh it will be interesting to see how they finish. At 7-2, an 8-4 finish is really possible. They should beat MSU at home (no gimme) but then they go to a good Indiana team and wrap it up with tOSU. I don’t see how they finish better than 8-4. If so, what happens in Ann Arbor? Has Michigan like Nebraska fallen permanently behind the elites?

If he’ll take it. He and his wife love DFW.

I dont know where they go. That job isn’t all that attractive, at least not in my view.
Right now it isn't an attractive job but, Fayetteville is a beautiful town. The Hogs have a pretty good history in Broyles Holtz, Hatfield and a 5 yr. old performance center. Like other teams, no success lately.