Coaching Carousel

I've heard not great things about Miles via a staff member. Alluding to the fact that he is nowhere near ready for this level of coaching.
I was just thinking on my lunch break about how I am hoping we can get some insight eventually about how Miles is as a LB coach. Maybe someone hears Shammond's thoughts through the grape vine type of stuff. If he isn't pulling his weight as a coach, I don't care if we are going bowling, I cant see how that is good in the long run

In other news, water is wet.
Yea I don’t think anyone is surprised by it. Just sad for it to be realized by so many, and I’m sure that includes players. 18-23 year olds are smart enough to see right through that hire. And yet, as another poster said, we’ve still managed a winning season. It’s nuts.

Carbondale, IL
As fun as the turnaround has been this season, I'll be pretty disappointed if there are no (positive) staff shakeups going into next year.

Carbondale, IL
Sounds like the Lovie as DC and Miles as LB coach was best case scenario given what could've been. I'd be careful wishing for more changes than necessary.
One of these is not like the other. Staff upgrades aren't necessarily restricted to on-field coaches either. No reason not to try to get better.

We can debate this but it was really a master stroke by Lovie. Is Whitman really in a position to make demands of him without causing unnecessary ripples through the program?

We can debate this but it was really a master stroke by Lovie. Is Whitman really in a position to make demands of him without causing unnecessary ripples through the program?
Demands? No. Suggestions? Yes. While I am enjoying this season, I am worried about a repeat of 2000/2008 next year or in 2021. This would be a great time to snag coaches. They would see the improvement and not the dead-end job it looked like last offseason.

If the staff stays the exact same on the defensive side I will be extremely upset. Even if we win out, there needs to be an official and capable DC that isn't in the Smith family tree.

If the staff stays the exact same on the defensive side I will be extremely upset. Even if we win out, there needs to be an official and capable DC that isn't in the Smith family tree.
The whole "Miles issue" remains very troubling. We should deal with it in this forum after the season ends. My concern is that Lovie's ultimate plan is to elevate Miles to Defensive Coordinator and then try to exert influence to have Miles become the Head Coach after Lovie eventually retires.

The whole "Miles issue" remains very troubling. We should deal with it in this forum after the season ends. My concern is that Lovie's ultimate plan is to elevate Miles to Defensive Coordinator and then try to exert influence to have Miles become the Head is Coach after Lovie eventually retires.
I don’t see the second part of your concern ever coming to fruition. Doesn’t sound like Lovie is keeping the first part any secret. Hopefully doesn’t happen anytime too soon.

If you’ve been wanting staff changes, becoming bowl eligible was the worst thing possible from that view. Lovie will see the success this season as proof that his system is working, not as a sign that the defense has coaching issues.

The clues about Lovie trying to make Miles the DC we’re pretty obvious if you’ve been listening to 0440 for the past few months. I called that in the other thread that got shut down after the Wiscy game.

This conversation on coaching changes is insane. For the last few weeks the linebackers have been getting national and conference level awards for play. The last 5 weeks has seen the team out perform all reasonable expectations with wins, despite being double digit underdogs in a few of the games, playing what can only be characterized as Lovie ball. The team looks to return the bulk of its players from Lovie's first real class and gets some key additions off injuries or NCAA decisions.

Lovie does whatever he wants with his staff for at least a couple more years.

The only thing that should happen now is the program declares victory on the season, then hypes up the future to land new recruits, keep the team playing at the level they have been, and get more fans in the seats.

This conversation on coaching changes is insane. For the last few weeks the linebackers have been getting national and conference level awards for play. The last 5 weeks has seen the team out perform all reasonable expectations with wins, despite being double digit underdogs in a few of the games, playing what can only be characterized as Lovie ball. The team looks to return the bulk of its players from Lovie's first real class and gets some key additions off injuries or NCAA decisions.

The only thing that should happen now is the program declares victory on the season, then hypes up the future to land new recruits, keep the team playing at the level they have been, and get more fans in the seats.
Hurrah! In our collective defense, we ARE Illini fans! And our recent history has conditioned us to be a certain way. We've got some bad habits to break. Hopefully future play will continue to push us in the current direction so that we can learn to chill out a bit more. :thumb:

Ok if that’s what you think. Personally I disagree. It’s pretty hard to watch this defense continuously get trashed and give up 400+ yards a game, be continually out of position, be heavily penalized, consistently and show poor tackling technique. There are definitely some bright spots but on the whole it’s impossible to not be concerned. We’re a few takeaways from being 4-6 right now. Do you remember watching the EMU game? Don’t forget that we were 2-4 before this win streak.

We likely win 7 games this year, maybe 8. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited for the bowl game. I hope next year isn’t a let down year where we win 4 games. I’m just frustrated because we do have some legitimate talent, but it’s being wasted by an inexperienced coaching staff. Some of those hires are just disgraceful and frankly indicative of huge problems that are always going to be under the surface.

Ok if that’s what you think. Personally I disagree. It’s pretty hard to watch this defense continuously get trashed and give up 400+ yards a game, be continually out of position, be heavily penalized, consistently and show poor tackling technique. There are definitely some bright spots but on the whole it’s impossible to not be concerned. We’re a few takeaways from being 4-6 right now. Do you remember watching the EMU game? Don’t forget that we were 2-4 before this win streak.

We likely win 7 games this year, maybe 8. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited for the bowl game. I hope next year isn’t a let down year where we win 4 games. I’m just frustrated because we do have some legitimate talent, but it’s being wasted by an inexperienced coaching staff. Some of those hires are just disgraceful and frankly indicative of huge problems that are always going to be under the surface.
Agreed. As I’ve said before, I’m enjoying this season, but it is giving me major flashbacks to 2007 -2009. The Rose Bowl year, to be honest, was mainly based on player talent, senior leadership, and some luck. Very little was coaching. I say that for two reasons. 1) Look at how the team faired the next two years with equally talented teams and virtually the same coaching staff. 2) Look where many of those coaches from the Rose Bowl team ended up. I did a post several months ago on it, but many of them are at FCS programs now. They just weren’t Power 5 caliber coaches.

I feel somewhat the same about this defensive staff. You can tell by the recent hires that coaches were nervous to come to Illinois unless it was a huge jump for them early in their career. There was too much risk that they would be looking for another job after this season, and they likely worried that Lovie would dictate how they coached with little to no flexibility. Now that we have shown we can win, it would be nice to use that momentum for our coaching as well as recruiting. I know that’s going to be tough to do after a winning season, and I know Lovie isn’t getting rid of his son. I think I am just so worried that we might blow this chance to finally break through and see some sustained success simply for the purpose of being too loyal, and that would be so soul-crushing.

Wait, are we now worried that Lovie is going to establish a winning legacy so strong that he'll be able to pass it down like an inheritance? Uhhh, do you guys know what "off the rails" sounds like? Because that worry is an obvious example.

Nepotism is ugly, and yet it's very prevalente in coaching, football especially afaik. Look who's calling the offense for Iowa today. What is with that? Is this a daddy-issues thing, because there's a lot of that going around. But at the end of the day sustained performance will reveal whether they're up to it.

Being a few lucky breaks from being 4-6 is what being in the middle of the pack means. Get used to it, guys, we've climbed up to the middle of the pack! W00T!!!

Don’t pretend to be any sort of expert but the linebackers are playing great and the defense is improved hugely. Obviously a mistake with the coaching assignments?

Don’t pretend to be any sort of expert but the linebackers are playing great and the defense is improved hugely. Obviously a mistake with the coaching assignments?
Point taken. Why has it taken 10 games for them to finally get better? Seriously, we’ve got to be one of the least experienced coaching staffs of P5 programs. Lovie’s selling point when he was hired was his ability to put together an experienced staff. How many coaches has he hired with no college experience? We’ve got coaches at DL and LB in their first year. The OL coach Has a lot of experience, yes, but it’s still his first year as a position coach at the P5 level. TE with 2 years experience, CB coach with three years. It’s concerning.

Point taken. Why has it taken 10 games for them to finally get better? Seriously, we’ve got to be one of the least experienced coaching staffs of P5 programs. Lovie’s selling point when he was hired was his ability to put together an experienced staff. How many coaches has he hired with no college experience? We’ve got coaches at DL and LB in their first year. The OL coach Has a lot of experience, yes, but it’s still his first year as a position coach at the P5 level. TE with 2 years experience, CB coach with three years. It’s concerning.
Are we judging results or resumes? We can criticize the time it took but it looks like a success to me.