Coaching Carousel

Seriously, we’ve got to be one of the least experienced coaching staffs of P5 programs. Lovie’s selling point when he was hired was his ability to put together an experienced staff.
Lovie may have located talented coaches, and it seems as if that may be the case, 6-5 this year. If so, by being talented, but not having previous major or no college coaching experience, may just lend itself to getting those same talented coaches on board faster with Lovie/Whitman's vision with many less headaches or bad habits already formed. The glass is actually finally half full at least rather than half empty as it has been annually.

Are we judging results or resumes? We can criticize the time it took but it looks like a success to me.
I certainly have no way of knowing if assistant coaches are either qualified or good. It's troubling that people who appear to be insiders or football people think that is the case. Josh Whitman has to make the call there. He has football experience to do so. Hope he requires Lovie to look for potential upgrades but if we keep or increase out current level of play then I will have no complaints.

Was it a chance at Cristobal like we had a chance at Sumlin? Funnily, I think we ended up better off.

Schiano will not become the HC at Rutgers. Also did not realize they had a shot at Mario Cristobal a hire or two ago and blew it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/greg-schiano-informs-rutgers-he-isnt-interested-in-head-coach-job-anymore-193103507.html
Rutgers fans are very unhappy. The school is pointing to Schiano's odd work history over the past few years to indicate that he wasn't all in for the job, but he apparently was recruiting and had a list of 100 guys in the transfer portal that could go there.

Yesterday, during a halftime ceremony honoring 150 years since the first college football game there, Eric LeGrand, a paralyzed former player who now does sideline reporting and remains the emotional focal point of the program urged the schools Board of Governors, without mentioning his name, to bring Schiano back.

Rutgers fans are very unhappy. The school is pointing to Schiano's odd work history over the past few years to indicate that he wasn't all in for the job, but he apparently was recruiting and had a list of 100 guys in the transfer portal that could go there.

Yesterday, during a halftime ceremony honoring 150 years since the first college football game there, Eric LeGrand, a paralyzed former player who now does sideline reporting and remains the emotional focal point of the program urged the schools Board of Governors, without mentioning his name, to bring Schiano back.
If all of this wasn't bad enough, Sitkowski is in the portal.

This program is a dumpster fire.

Plainfield
A scathing article from a New Jersey newspaper on Rutgers missing their shot on who will probably be the best candidate interested in their job.
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019/11/white-flag-not-white-smoke-rutgers-kills-big-time-football-dream-with-greg-schiano-fiasco-politi.html
Wow. What a mess. The AD is the most important element in athletic success. From Rutgers to Illinois to Ohio State - an incompetent AD will drag the program down and a great one will make the moves that spell success. I remember Nick Saban saying that one of the most important factors for a coach is knowing he has the right AD as his boss. I'm confident we have the right guy in Josh Whitman and thank God. We had a lot of incompetency ourselves up to now.

Wow. What a mess. The AD is the most important element in athletic success. From Rutgers to Illinois to Ohio State - an incompetent AD will drag the program down and a great one will make the moves that spell success. I remember Nick Saban saying that one of the most important factors for a coach is knowing he has the right AD as his boss. I'm confident we have the right guy in Josh Whitman and thank God. We had a lot of incompetency ourselves up to now.
Just to turn up the infuriation dial for Rutgers fans, the AD came from in-state rival, non-football Seton Hall (he wasn’t AD but interim head of the law school).

I certainly have no way of knowing if assistant coaches are either qualified or good. It's troubling that people who appear to be insiders or football people think that is the case. Josh Whitman has to make the call there. He has football experience to do so. Hope he requires Lovie to look for potential upgrades but if we keep or increase out current level of play then I will have no complaints.
I think they should rate the coaches like the players so we would know if we have 3, 4, or 5 star coaches. It would give our complaints a lot more focus.

Bob Davie is out at New Mexico and Tony Sanchez (Shame) is out at UNLV.

Sounds like Joe Moorhead and Barry Odom are coaching for their jobs this week. Rutgers could do a lot worse than Joe Moorhead...

4 plus years ago, I was listening to ESPN radio St Louis and the question was posed "In 5 years who would you rather be, Lovie Smith or Brad Odom".

Every person said Lovie.

The way the Pinkel era ended made the Mizzou job a lot less attractive and I think they realized for continuities sake they had to have someone Black and Gold.
We did the same thing following the slush fund in hiring Jim Valek. There is a perception here in St Louis that BO is a little on the "dense" side or at least projects that image and is not the long term answer.

But what really is the problem is the feeling in the black community that there is a strong Ozark, hillbilly, ridge running, tobacco spitting, inbred element right below the surface in Columbia and that black students aren't really welcome.

There is a reason Josh has signed off on the billboards that occasionally pop up in St Louis, the most recent being near Produce Row with the Illinois players and the simple "This is our town".

I haven't looked into the numbers but I would love to poach a solid recruiter from one of these coaching staffs.
Do any of these coaching staffs have a solid recruiter? They are some pretty bad programs.

So is barry Odom a dead man walking with the bowl ban and recruiting restrictions upheld? Seems like the perfect time for an AD, who didn't hire him, to make a clean break. This was suppose to be there best team in the last 6-8 years. Mizzou fans were expecting 8-10 wins and to only win 5-6? It seems like fanbase has turned on him.

90% of the Mizzou base felt they would be undefeated going into Georgia. Tough loss to Georgia would be OK because they had Florida next (turns out they are better than anyone thought) and finish with 2 cupcakes. 11-1 distinct possibility, 10-2 about right, 9-3 almost underachieving. No one saw this coming.

Assuming they beat Arkansas, I think BO returns as the administration understands that a no bowl ban was really a buzzkill motivation wise.

Normal, Illinois
To diverge the topic a bit, I wonder if this is the year that bigger program hires Chuck Martin. M-Ohio was a big mess when he took over and finally has them going to the MAC title game. Another name to look out for in the near future is Kent State coach Sean Lewis. Comes from the Babers coaching tree (was with him at EIU, so previous experience in the state may make him a potential Lovie replacement if the team has a horrible collapse the next season or two 😉) and has quickly turned around a moribund Kent State team.

4 plus years ago, I was listening to ESPN radio St Louis and the question was posed "In 5 years who would you rather be, Lovie Smith or Brad Odom".

Every person said Lovie.

The way the Pinkel era ended made the Mizzou job a lot less attractive and I think they realized for continuities sake they had to have someone Black and Gold.
We did the same thing following the slush fund in hiring Jim Valek. There is a perception here in St Louis that BO is a little on the "dense" side or at least projects that image and is not the long term answer.

But what really is the problem is the feeling in the black community that there is a strong Ozark, hillbilly, ridge running, tobacco spitting, inbred element right below the surface in Columbia and that black students aren't really welcome.

There is a reason Josh has signed off on the billboards that occasionally pop up in St Louis, the most recent being near Produce Row with the Illinois players and the simple "This is our town".
Don’t disagree with your analysis, but the Clonzo hire seems to say differently. Was that window dressing?

Word on the FSU street is James Franklin is their number 1 choice. Will be interesting to see how that transpires
Why leave a place that's already built for a rebuild? Also I believe the facilities are significantly worse at FSU as well. FSU has proven to pull the plug fast.

Plainfield
Lots of things could play into this. One could argue that FSU has more playoff potential. Might be personal issues. Relationships with administration. You never know. If he goes what does Ped U do?

Why leave a place that's already built for a rebuild? Also I believe the facilities are significantly worse at FSU as well. FSU has proven to pull the plug fast.
Agreed. Got to imagine they'd be able to match dollars.

Maybe he's just sick of the dark cloud.

Every person said Lovie.

This same problem has been going on since the late 70's when Powers recruited me and I went on an official there. BTW, I didn't see any ridge runners, tobacco chewers or, inbreds...I can tell you about why I wanted nothing to do with MizNoz though.

Easy, Ohio State. You can pull more talent at FSU than at PSU. Clemson mountain is less of a climb at FSU