Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think his demeanor has changed

I honestly think Whitman stepped in and addressed this...he seems quite a bit less animated on sidelines and his outburst, while still there seem meek and mild in comparisions to the previous lengthy sideline tantrums.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Whether or not BU should keep his job was an absolutely valid discussion at the time this thread was created.

In year three, and with the talent we have on the team, there is no way we should have lost to a bad Miami team AT HOME and a mediocre Miznoz at a neutral site.

I just hope we continue this win streak and put this thread to bed for good. =D

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Anyone that doesn’t think it takes time for a coach to adjust to the BIG is smoking the funny stuff.

1578697935726.jpeg

There are a lot of national media folks smoking it than too because it wasn't just this board talking about us being a top 25 team or at least a tourney team. I've been critical or the coaching but I never thought we should fire Underwood early on.

But to date, this team has somewhat underperformed. As to adjustment, there's been plenty of coaches who have adjusted within a year and certainly many of the successful ones with in two years.

Would you have called for Coach K's firing after he started off at Duke 17-13, 10-17, 11-17? He then improved to 24-10, 23-8, 37-3 (national runner up) and never looked back. But if you let him go after 3 mediocre years as he bottoms out in year 2 and has gradual growth in year 3 then that would have been one of the biggest mistakes in basketball history.

I for one was thinking BU wasn't going to make this happen, you can see how he has changed his demeanor, his actions, he has made adjustments...maybe just maybe he and this team has finally had that Ah Ah moment and it will click more times than not moving forward? I hope it does, I like him as a coach, and I like where the makeup of this team is headed also. 89' again?

Coaches learn. I actually thought Groce was learning and would have improved the team going forward, but he was both slow to learn and unlucky with injuries so he lost his chance.

Would you have called for Coach K's firing after he started off at Duke 17-13, 10-17, 11-17? He then improved to 24-10, 23-8, 37-3 (national runner up) and never looked back. But if you let him go after 3 mediocre years as he bottoms out in year 2 and has gradual growth in year 3 then that would have been one of the biggest mistakes in basketball history.
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Was coach K failing to meet expectations? I have no idea.

We've underperformed. Hopefully that will stop. One of the hallmarks of good coaching is consistency. Let's hope we see it.

illini80

Forgottonia
Whether or not BU should keep his job was an absolutely valid discussion at the time this thread was created.

In year three, and with the talent we have on the team, there is no way we should have lost to a bad Miami team AT HOME and a mediocre Miznoz at a neutral site.

I just hope we continue this win streak and put this thread to bed for good. =D
It’s always a valid discussion. I just don’t think there was any scenario where he would be fired this year with the recruits he’s brought in and coming next year.

Coaches learn. I actually thought Groce was learning and would have improved the team going forward, but he was both slow to learn and unlucky with injuries so he lost his chance.

I understand your points, but Groce was way over his head from almost day one....we settled mightily with him as our coach. He was not meant for a P5 school...just my opinion. Just didn't see it getting any better with him at all actually.

I understand your points, but Groce was way over his head from almost day one....we settled mightily with him as our coach. He was not meant for a P5 school...just my opinion. Just didn't see it getting any better with him at all actually.

It's ironic how much Jawun Evans factored into the Groce firing and the Underwood hiring, yet Jawun was recruited by Travis Ford.

Agree completely with this. I’ve been hyper critical of BU but but making concrete judgements on him is premature. Give him this year and next and then evaluate. It looks like we could be turning a major corner this year as it stands right now.

BU will be around next year no matter what happens, barring a disaster. With that said, if this team looks even remotely similar with Curbelo, Miller, Hutcherson and Grandison, then it couldn’t be more clear he ain’t the guy.

These kids are very, very good.

But so are kids from other schools. Look at guards from other schools, they are top-notch too.

For UoI to be very, very good, all 5 need to perform at a high level as a team.

Tim Robbins is having incredible success at tOSU.
Hasn't been too much fun for him at the start of conference play. Isn't only Northwestern below them? I'm not saying that they haven't done well as a whole, but we also thought looking back that a win vs UNC meant something. That was fools gold. They've lost three in a row and four out of six....including games to Minnesota and Wisconsin.

So, let's pump the brakes on Ohio State. It's a long season. Still only approaching mid January.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Believe it or not, Tosu fans are already questioning him with the current losing streak. Generally concede he's a pretty decent coach, but can't recruit. Not sure if he's going to be the right guy.

He picked up 3 top 50 recruits last year and had the top class in the B1G. Also, he recruited the Seniors and Juniors that now make up a top 10, 14-1 Butler team. His recruiting is fine.

Everyone at tOSU should shut their stupid mouths if they are even STARTING to think he is a bad coach. Ugh, they are so entitled. He just so happened to commit the cardinal sin in the B1G this year, which is a home loss.

At the end of the year, they will be in the tourney and may even make the sweet 16. Man tOSU fans suck.

Hasn't been too much fun for him at the start of conference play. Isn't only Northwestern below them? I'm not saying that they haven't done well as a whole, but we also thought looking back that a win vs UNC meant something. That was fools gold. They've lost three in a row and four out of six....including games to Minnesota and Wisconsin.

So, let's pump the brakes on Ohio State. It's a long season. Still only approaching mid January.

They’ve also beat UK and Nova this year. Those are definitely good wins. They will bounce back and have a fine year. (Though I’m rooting for him to tank. tOSU needs to be bad at basketball again)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.