Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I’m in the minority here, but I’d like to see Brad get another year, with the tourney next year required to keep his job. He basically only has two recruiting classes here, and I think we have some good talent coming in next year. The only two guys left from that first class are Trent and DMW. No offense to DMW, but he’s just not a B1G starter. Hopefully Hutchinson or Granderson contribute, and BBV will be a full year removed from injury, and hopefully Tev can pull it together. You’ve got to keep in mind that we’ve essentially been playing with a 9 person team due to those last four being out. AG is finally coming around and giving us something.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
I guess I’m in the minority here, but I’d like to see Brad get another year, with the tourney next year required to keep his job. He basically only has two recruiting classes here, and I think we have some good talent coming in next year. The only two guys left from that first class are Trent and DMW. No offense to DMW, but he’s just not a B1G starter. Hopefully Hutchinson or Granderson contribute, and BBV will be a full year removed from injury, and hopefully Tev can pull it together. You’ve got to keep in mind that we’ve essentially been playing with a 9 person team due to those last four being out. AG is finally coming around and giving us something.

1. I'm speculating that both Ayo and Adam Miller won't be on the roster next year. Hence, zero benefit for us in terms of a net gain.
2. I don't expect Tevian back. I suspect he'll quit and transfer.
3. Sadly, I agree with you regarding DMW
4. Georgi reconfirmed tonight that he's 5x better in the post. Not sure that he and Kofi should be on the court together. We really need a Tilman-esque Power Forward.

BU will be around next year no matter what happens, barring a disaster. With that said, if this team looks even remotely similar with Curbelo, Miller, Hutcherson and Grandison, then it couldn’t be more clear he ain’t the guy.

BU will be around next year no matter what happens, barring a disaster. With that said, if this team looks even remotely similar with Curbelo, Miller, Hutcherson and Grandison, then it couldn’t be more clear he ain’t the guy.

Next year won't be different, first of all Curbelo is an undersized very very very talented PG...B1G will take it's toll. Miller, well I doubt the pipe dream will materialize (you may want to sit the pipe down), and Hutch/Grand will be like Griffin this year if we are lucky.

Sadly Griffin and Trent will be the keys, Giorgi who knows? But either way next year with Trent especially will only show how much BU underutilizes his team?

JJE

Bethalto, IL
I don't fault JW at all for this disaster. On paper Underwood was a very good hire. On top of that JW gave him plenty of money to hire assistants to help with Underwoods weakness of recruiting. JW has done everything he can to make Underwood successful, but for some reason this isn't working out. Josh more than deserves another hire if it comes to that. He has the chops to get a high quality coach and doesn't seem like the kind of guy to make the same mistakes twice. And if Whitman screws up the next one the maybe he should go.
That said just my gut, but even though JW hired him, I'm not convinced that Josh is all in on Brad like he is Lovie.

So...

Here’s my question...

BU had great success at SFA. BU had super success at OSU.

Yes, the conference in which SFA plays is weak. However, he had players of a weaker caliber conference. He had no Ayo. He had no Cockburn.

OSU is a big six conference. Better quality teams, but he had very good success there.

Why is he struggling here?

So...

Here’s my question...

BU had great success at SFA. BU had super success at OSU.

Yes, the conference in which SFA plays is weak. However, he had players of a weaker caliber conference. He had no Ayo. He had no Cockburn.

OSU is a big six conference. Better quality teams, but he had very good success there.

His success at OSU wasn’t that good. He had an okay year, but it wasn’t anything special.

It is sometimes much easier to motivate and get people to buy into a process, when same persons are not as talented/headstrong as others.

BU may be able to motivate good players who aren't the Big Men on Campus so to speak as players, simply because they want to succeed collectively more so than the highly ranked guy may want to do with a group?

Much the same as Coach X is a great college coach, but his style doesn't translate to the pro's....can't handle the stars, can't motivate the ego's, can't scheme for the alpha males? BU may be that guy as a coach...great in college (SFA), but his style doesn't translate to the pro's (P-5) players?

Other than that, not sure what the issues are other than we have less talent than other P-5 teams still to this day...by less talent, I mean coaching as well btw.

His success at OSU wasn’t that good. He had an okay year, but it wasn’t anything special.

He was 9-9 and a 5th place finish in a 10 team conference. He had an All American PG and a great 3 pt shooter in Phil Forte, plus a 2nd team All Big 12 performer in Jeffrey Carroll. Made it to the dance but that is such a terribly low benchmark.
Not sure I can call that "super success".

Last edited:
I agree with you wholeheartedly! As of now, each recruiting class has been better than the last, so there’s no reason to lose hope. We’re still purging players from the last regime and Brad is getting recruits that fit his game plan. As of today we’re losing KN and AF and have a nice class coming in. We all need to stop looking at BU record for the last two seasons. Those weren’t his guys and he had little or no time in year one to recruit. I see continuous improvement in our recruiting classes and am far more patient and optimistic about our future. I’d rather not start over with an unknown coach and another exodus of talent due to the unknown coaching situation. Let’s all take a deep breath and let the season play out before we make a rash coaching change

What is a disaster? Kenpom has us finishing 17-14. Is that a disaster? While it has us going 17-14, it actually only has us favored in 6 more games which would be 15-16. Is sub .500 a disaster? I think if we don't even get an NIT invite, that MUST qualify as a disaster, right? I agree that it has to be a disaster for him to get fired, I'm just not sure how far we are from disaster land currently.

Missing the tournament for seven straight years.
Heh, I remember when missing 2 was a disaster. Then 3. Then 4.... I remember thinking how terrible it was that Rayvonte Rice was going to spend 2 years at Illinois and not get to dance. Then Malcolm Hill and 4 years... How long is that list now?

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
BU may be able to motivate good players who aren't the Big Men on Campus so to speak as players, simply because they want to succeed collectively more so than the highly ranked guy may want to do with a group?

This is an interesting point. I'm not suggesting our guys are either selfish or egotistical, but we can't afford to bench them...too thin. Also, as we struggle, they may feel more pressure to perform individually, if only because they want the team to succeed...kind of a Catch 22.

It's different for teams like KU, Duke and NC; they have several guys who are capable of being alpha dogs, so they get it done as a team, or ride the bench. Also, with a higher talent level, there's more trust that your teammates will deliver...I don't know if this team feels that way about all their teammates.

Finally...I promise...I agree with others that Kofi and Georgi are not doing well together. BU has to fix this. He has to show he can figure things out, or next year will be his last. For the record, I hope he gets the team turned around this year, I crave stability in the program. I want to talk about who other programs will hire.

If my logic is specious, please feel free to correct me...I ain't no guru.

What is a disaster? Kenpom has us finishing 17-14. Is that a disaster? While it has us going 17-14, it actually only has us favored in 6 more games which would be 15-16. Is sub .500 a disaster? I think if we don't even get an NIT invite, that MUST qualify as a disaster, right? I agree that it has to be a disaster for him to get fired, I'm just not sure how far we are from disaster land currently.

Good points, considering the recruiting class coming in, I'm afraid even a 15 win season wouldn't qualify as a fire-able disaster in Underwood's case (but let's be real, 15 wins really would be disastrous :(). His seat would be a 9/10 steaming hot come the start of next season though.

He was 9-9 and a 5th place finish in a 10 team conference. He had an All American PG and a great 3 pt shooter in Phil Forte, plus a 2nd team All Big 12 performer in Jeffrey Carroll. Made it to the dance but that is such a terribly low benchmark.
Not sure I can call that "super success".

Maybe not super success....but I'd take it right now and call it great improvement

It is sometimes much easier to motivate and get people to buy into a process, when same persons are not as talented/headstrong as others.

Much the same as Coach X is a great college coach, but his style doesn't translate to the pro's....can't handle the stars, can't motivate the ego's, can't scheme for the alpha males? BU may be that guy as a coach...great in college (SFA), but his style doesn't translate to the pro's (P-5) players?

Other than that, not sure what the issues are other than we have less talent than other P-5 teams still to this day...by less talent, I mean coaching as well btw.

Reminds me of Weber when he indicated that he wasn't allowed to recruit the players he wanted. Maybe, I'm mixing things up.

each recruiting class has been better than the last

This is OA and Chin...is BU even a good recruiter with kids? BU is supposed to close deals if needed and get players better while here? How is the formula working so far?

Really starting to think OA would be better long term in terms of success, recruiting aptitude, talent building, and national recognition. BU seems like a great guy, just like Groce though I think he might be in over his head with trying to turn this thing around, no matter how much he may want to.

OA is a Kofi/Curbelo guy
Chin is a Miller/Hawkins guy and Ayo don't forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.