Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
The lone bright spot would be that we'd likely be one of the only programs looking. Not that makes us look any better to a coach who is good enough to wait out for his pick next season, but it's something.
Honestly that's a good point. I don't think many teams expect to make a change this year. But 0-9 or 1-8 will have to be addressed.

How would you all feel about Clark Lea, the DC at Notre Dame, as an option? He's only 37 and has been the DC for the Irish the last 3 seasons.

I believe he's been mentioned before. Iirc there was concerns about how easy he is to work with as well as how well connected he is aka being able to fill out a staff.

I believe he's been mentioned before. Iirc there was concerns about how easy he is to work with as well as how well connected he is aka being able to fill out a staff.

Based on his different coaching stops Lea could do better than expected. I know Chip Long got let go at ND but he is still a proven OC at the P5 level. Long's former OL coach, Harry Hiestand, is available and would be welcomed back to Illinois. Lea's former boss in Syracuse, Scott Schafer, has P5 DC experience. During his time with Schafer at Syracuse, the OC was former Illini and current NC State co-OC George McDonald.

Last edited:
It's starting... Gary Andersen let go at Utah State.

Hugh Freeze or Sonny Dykes would be great gets. Convincing either to come here would be a tough sell as both will be able to go to better programs than IL.

May need to go to a OC or DC at a winning program that is looking to move up. On thing is certain, we won't have lots of really good candidates beating down the door to Whitman's office.

We may not and probably won't have any big name or up and coming coaches being down our door to come but it is Whitmans job to sell it and the university's Job to financially make it happen. How good of a salesman is Whitman? We may find out. How much does the university care a about a successful football team? We may find out.

Hugh Freeze or Sonny Dykes would be great gets. Convincing either to come here would be a tough sell as both will be able to go to better programs than IL.

May need to go to a OC or DC at a winning program that is looking to move up. On thing is certain, we won't have lots of really good candidates beating down the door to Whitman's office.
I think that Freeze might be open to us. Even if it is only for 3 or 4 years. We can definitely pay a lot more than Liberty and it is at least a year or two away from there being a lot of openings. I don't think that he would be able to leave after just one year.

Take the top HS coach in Florida. Make Him your head coach. The next top 5 can be his coordinators. Bring in an older coach as a consultant to the staff. Get every possible recruit out of Florida. Cannot be any worse than where we are today. At least we might win some recruiting battles!

We may not and probably won't have any big name or up and coming coaches being down our door to come but it is Whitmans job to sell it and the university's Job to financially make it happen. How good of a salesman is Whitman? We may find out. How much does the university care a about a successful football team? We may find out.
I think we have about 50 years of history to answer that question.

IlliniwekKDR

Colorado Springs, CO
I think that Freeze might be open to us. Even if it is only for 3 or 4 years. We can definitely pay a lot more than Liberty and it is at least a year or two away from there being a lot of openings. I don't think that he would be able to leave after just one year.
He is making $2 million per year on a 5 year contract at Liberty right now. That's more than we were paying Beckman. Obviously, we've shown the willingness to go well above with Lovie, but will we (especially in the current financial situation of college sports)? It's a very good question.

Status
Not open for further replies.