Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think about Marcus Freeman the DC at Cincinnati? Young and has put together a good D.

What does everyone think about Marcus Freeman the DC at Cincinnati? Young and has put together a good D.
I like him, that def is salty!! He’s probably needing to show he can be a dc at a p5 or get a hc job in a lower g5 job, heck he might be cincy’s next hc if fickell leaves.

I get a chill when I hear any possible new coach is from OHIO.....ala Beckman, Cubit....Mike Thomas.....bad mojo.

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
This was the one game I had penciled in that I thought we could win. Rutgers just proved what a bad team they really are. If they had a decent QB we would have been toast. So, no. This does not save Lovie's job.

This was the one game I had penciled in that I thought we could win. Rutgers just proved what a bad team they really are. If they had a decent QB we would have been toast. So, no. This does not save Lovie's job.
They are improving though. Might not be able to pencil it in for many more years

A little off topic. I have always been a just win baby type. Loved having White and Zook tiptoe the legal line. I know Fleck has been successful. But even where we are now. I would take Lovie over Fleck. I dislike Fleck that much. Not much of an Iowa fan. But I appreciate Ferentz actions today. Row the boat.

Unlike you, I actually know Dick. And the answer is that he fully supports Lovie.
Ok whatever. You don’t know me and don’t know who I know. It’s sad to me that one of the Illinois greats would support this coach, who is clearly inadequate and will go down as one of the worst coaches in Illinois history. We deserve better. For someone that has the national linebacker award named after him, I would think that he expects better play from our defense.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
Guys. I'm sorry if my posts were misunderstood. I was just trying to address the idea of pulling a P5 head coach. I was just trying to think of who would be similar to the Underwood hire, and who else could be out there that would leave. The best P5 coach we would even have a chance at would be Dave Clawson, but that's just based on assuming he isn't making top of conference style money and the fact that Wake has a much lower ceiling than Illinois. If he's actually making like 4 mil a year, I don't see that as a realistic possibility. Then I tried to think of who would be similar to Underwood, and the examples I thought up were Mel Tucker, who just did that type of move to MSU and then I thought of Neal Brown at WVU. I don't think we actually have any chance at getting him, it was just the type of coach that would be similar to Underwood (only a year or 2 at the high major after dominating at a mid major).

Really our only chance at a current P5 coach is a Zook-like fired coach from a higher tier program, or a mid tier stagnant program. Those options may not even actually happen, and the list isn't that great.

Let's look inside the conference at two guys who could fit that criteria: Harbaugh and Franklin. Franklin can get a more appealing job because averaging 10 wins a season isn't something a big-time program is going to ignore. Harbaugh, though, is constantly the winner of "most overrated coach" discussions even though he he can get 8-9 wins a year. Still a longshot, but my wishful thinking has me imagining Whitman pulling off the hard sell.

altenberger22

South Carolina
Just finished reading a couple of (national) coaching carousel articles. For reference, here are three comparative head coach buy-out figures this season:

* Texas - $15M
* Tennessee - $13M
* South Carolina - $13M

Also of note, Lovie/Illinois was not mentioned in the article from which I pulled this figures. It was published just a few days ago, too.

3 losses at Nebraska

See Solich, Frank, 2003

illini80

Forgottonia
3 losses at Nebraska

See Solich, Frank, 2003
The same year Ron Turner went 1-11 at Illinois and was retained.

Surprised Solich never got another P5 job. He’s been solid but not great in a long run at Ohio.

Last edited:

Deleted member 746648

D
I was comparing FPI ratings of past teams and thought y'all would find this interesting. FPI liked the later Zook teams despite the mediocre records. Meanwhile 2015 was our only post Zook season with a positive FPI rating. Despite building a clearly better roster the past couple seasons compared to the Beckman years you wouldn't know it by looking at the results on the field.

2005-2011 (Zook Era)
Record (Win %): 35-51 (40%)
Average FPI (Rank): 2.3 (56)

2012-2015 (Beckman Era)
Record: 17-32 (34.7%)
Average FPI: -2.7 (80)

2016-Present (Smith Era)
Record: 15-34 (30.6%)
Average FPI: -6.1 (89)

Deleted member 746648

D
Below are the results since Beckman was fired. For those unfamiliar, the FPI score is how many points above or below average the team is. The numbers in parentheses is the national rank.

2015:
Record: 5-7
FPI: 3.1 (67)
B1G Median: 5.85 (55.5)

2016:
Record: 3-9
FPI: -6.0 (94)
B1G Median: 7.1 (47.5)

2017:
Record: 2-10
FPI: -12.3 (104)
B1G Median: 5.95 (40)