College Football Playoff & Bowl Games Thread

Ryllini

Lombard
Who do you think should be in the playoff? I do think Georgia is one of the top 4 teams in the country and the goal should be to get the top 4 in the playoffs, but I don’t think they make it. Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma are going dancing. I do think Ohio St. would beat Oklahoma, but you have to go to body of work. Notre Dame does play a national schedule, but I do think there should be some sort of deduction for them not being in a conference and having to play in a conference championship game. I could definitely see one of OU, OSU, or UGA jumping ND for the 3rd seed.

hin10

O'Fallon, MO
Alabama, Clemson, OU, and ND in the playoffs in that order is my guess.

the national

the Front Range
The ACC is down this year, but Clemson is a good team. Unfortunately, I’m not sure anyone really knows their potential. OU has one amazing player with a decent team behind him but the Big12 just doesn’t have the quantity of good teams the B1G has. Ohio state wins their second B1G championship in a row and won’t make the playoffs. And then there’s Notre Dame. That’s the one that really bugs me. You could make a strong case why Ala, Clemson, OU are in, but Notre Dame seems to have the biggest benefit from their system and the way things shaped up this year. But they are undefeated, so you have to take them.

In a perfect world, Georgia, Ohio st, OU, Notre Dame, Clemson, and Alamaba could all make it. There is a fall off after those teams. Maybe they could do a play-in or something? Oh well, it’s probably off to the Rose Bowl for the B1G Champ again.

The ACC is down this year, but Clemson is a good team. Unfortunately, I’m not sure anyone really knows their potential. OU has one amazing player with a decent team behind him but the Big12 just doesn’t have the quantity of good teams the B1G has. Ohio state wins their second B1G championship in a row and won’t make the playoffs. And then there’s Notre Dame. That’s the one that really bugs me. You could make a strong case why Ala, Clemson, OU are in, but Notre Dame seems to have the biggest benefit from their system and the way things shaped up this year. But they are undefeated, so you have to take them.

In a perfect world, Georgia, Ohio st, OU, Notre Dame, Clemson, and Alamaba could all make it. There is a fall off after those teams. Maybe they could do a play-in or something? Oh well, it’s probably off to the Rose Bowl for the B1G Champ again.

No love for reigning national champion UCF?

According to ESPN's Football Power Index, ND is 7th with their strength of record being 3rd. Not sure why not having a conference championship bugs you. They play a tough schedule and have won every game. If they didn't play any ranked team then that's a different story, but they played 4 (ranked when they played them) plus two teams that made their conference championship game (NW,Pitt)

Here are the College Football Playoff matchups:

Capital One Orange Bowl: #1 Alabama (13-0) vs. #4 Oklahoma (12-1)
Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic: #2 Clemson (13-0) vs. #3 Notre Dame (12-0)

Georgia was #5. Ohio State was #6.

Here are the remaining New Year's Six match-ups:

-Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl: #10 Florida (9-3) vs. #7 Michigan (10-2)
-Playstation Fiesta Bowl: #11 LSU (9-3) vs. #8 UCF (12-0)
-Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual: #9 Washington (10-3) vs. #6 Ohio State (12-1)
-Allstate Sugar Bowl: #15 Texas (9-4) vs. #5 Georgia (11-2)

Last edited:
According to ESPN's Football Power Index, ND is 7th with their strength of record being 3rd. Not sure why not having a conference championship bugs you. They play a tough schedule and have won every game. If they didn't play any ranked team then that's a different story, but they played 4 (ranked when they played them) plus two teams that made their conference championship game (NW,Pitt)

I agree, nd beat up the acc, pac 12, and big ten. Even though they didn’t beat the champs of those leagues, they beat a lot of good teams. They deserved what they got. If they lost a game, with no championship game, I would not give them the benefit of the doubt and would place them below Oklahoma and Ohio state

the national

the Front Range
I think its b/c the conference championship games add a layer of stress on the team. They didn't have to go through that. Also they don't have to worry about losing to any one individual team and missing the conference championship. Sometimes that pressure can built in certain games. It also fuels the opponent to be the potential spoiler to ruin their season. Obviously, they went undefeated this year so the argument doesn't really apply.

I think its b/c the conference championship games add a layer of stress on the team. They didn't have to go through that. Also they don't have to worry about losing to any one individual team and missing the conference championship. Sometimes that pressure can built in certain games. It also fuels the opponent to be the potential spoiler to ruin their season. Obviously, they went undefeated this year so the argument doesn't really apply.
I know the conference championships aren’t play in games but it still feels like ND got a bye while everyone else (except Alabama) had to prove something.

Here is the list of bowls that B1G teams will be involved in this bowl season:

-Quick Lane Bowl (Dec. 26th, 4:15 PM CT, ESPN): Minnesota vs. Georgia Tech
-New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Dec. 27th, 4:15 PM CT, ESPN): Miami (FL) vs. Wisconsin
-Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl (Dec. 28th, 12:30 PM CT, ESPN): Purdue vs. Auburn
-Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (Dec. 29th, 11:00 AM CT, ESPN): Florida vs. Michigan
-Redbox Bowl (Dec. 31st, 2:00 PM CT, FOX): Michigan State vs. Oregon
-San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl (Dec. 31st, 6:00 PM CT, FS1): Northwestern vs. Utah
-Outback Bowl (Jan. 1st, 11:00 AM CT, ESPN2): Mississippi State vs. Iowa
-VRBO Citrus Bowl (Jan. 1st, Noon, ABC): Kentucky vs. Penn State
-Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual (Jan. 2nd, 4:00 PM CT, ESPN): Washington vs. Ohio State

If you're Notre Dame, why would you? Don't have to split the bowl revenue with your conference opponents. Get the opportunity to control how strong your overall schedule is.

The Irish couldn't control how bad Virginia Tech, FSU, and USC were this year.
Why? I stated you’d force them to by making a conference championship part of the criteria but I guess they could skip the chance and keep cashing checks. Not sure others should schedule them at this point. I suppose it’s the only way to get a part of their cash cow.

Why? I stated you’d force them to by making a conference championship part of the criteria but I guess they could skip the chance and keep cashing checks. Not sure others should schedule them at this point. I suppose it’s the only way to get a part of their cash cow.

That's the point though. Notre Dame will be the reason they won't have the conference championship be a requirement.

As far as the schedule, that really won't matter for several years considering how far out their schedule is set.

How the Irish made it is a disgrace. They definitely shouldnt have made it in with that loss to ___. ___ was really overrated anyways. And they played those FCS cupcakes ____ and ____.

Deleted member 654622

D
Here is the list of bowls that B1G teams will be involved in this bowl season:

-Quick Lane Bowl (Dec. 26th, 4:15 PM CT, ESPN): Minnesota vs. Georgia Tech
-New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Dec. 27th, 4:15 PM CT, ESPN): Miami (FL) vs. Wisconsin
-Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl (Dec. 28th, 12:30 PM CT, ESPN): Purdue vs. Auburn
-Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (Dec. 29th, 11:00 AM CT, ESPN): Florida vs. Michigan
-Redbox Bowl (Dec. 31st, 2:00 PM CT, FOX): Michigan State vs. Oregon
-San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl (Dec. 31st, 6:00 PM CT, FS1): Northwestern vs. Utah
-Outback Bowl (Jan. 1st, 11:00 AM CT, ESPN2): Mississippi State vs. Iowa
-VRBO Citrus Bowl (Jan. 1st, Noon, ABC): Kentucky vs. Penn State
-Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual (Jan. 2nd, 4:00 PM CT, ESPN): Washington vs. Ohio State
So I see 3 wins, Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State. I don't see a good Bowl Season for the B1G

Deleted member 654622

D
How the Irish made it is a disgrace. They definitely shouldnt have made it in with that loss to ___. ___ was really overrated anyways. And they played those FCS cupcakes ____ and ____.
This is a perfect point about ND. They don't play a cupcake schedule. They play Michigan, Stanford, USC every year and people are complaining? The SEC plays 2, that is right 2 FCS opponents every year. That equates to 3 bye weeks in their full regular season schedule. It is crap and I wonder when the SEC will start being penalized for it