College Football Playoff & Bowl Games Thread

Deleted member 654622

D
You cannot leave a conference champ out for a team that did not win their conference and then say the regular season matters.

It works because the regular season matters. It works because the goal is to crown the best team, not find with exact certainty the top four. There is always going to be some doubt, or vagueness as you put it, for the last team in/first team out, whether the cutoff is at 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.

I'm not following why you think it only works with three undefeated teams. A four team playoff can work with no undefeated teams. And how many time since the number of games expanded to 12 (or even in the last 50 years?) were there more than 4 unbeaten teams at the end of the season?
I wasn't the one saying it would only work with 3 undefeated teams and the next best one loss, this is what you said:

If you think of the whole season as a playoff, four teams works very well. Take the undefeated P5 teams and fill in with the next best one-loss team(s), or an undefeated non-P5 team if you think it is deserving. The teams that are out had their chance during the season and really can't be complaining. And for the most part, they usually don't.

You're argument for four teams being perfect is based on the implied fact there will be 3 undefeated P5 teams.... I was just pointing out 1)This has happened once since CFP inception and 2) It's possible to have 6 undefeated P5 teams, then what? If you think four teams accurately represents the total amount of teams that have a claim to the national championship, then this year is a perfect example as to why four isn't enough (as was last year). UCF honestly deserves a shot, sure you can penalize them for weak conference/OOC scheduling, but going undefeated in FBS is impressive, seed them last in whatever theoretical amount you want, but they deserve a shot nonetheless.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
This is not what I recall. In 1999, the B1G offered ND membership. ND said they were interested in joining, but they wanted to keep control over football scheduling (either no or partial B1G schedule). B1G said full membership with full football schedule or nothing. The ND community then strenuously objected to joining the B1G, and ND said no. I don't recall anything about a vote or Illinois voting against. At the time, IIRC some B1G members thought ND always intended to show up the B1G via the public courtship and refusal and vowed to never again offer membership.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/06/sports/college-football-just-say-no-notre-dame-shuns-big-ten.html
You are correct. I was mixing that attempt up with the attempt in the 1920s when they voted no 6-4 I believe, mostly cause ND was Catholic. Then ND had to go and find their own games, accumulating the rivalries you see today and that is why they wanted to keep them in the 90s because they only existed in the first place because the B1G said no.

I wasn't the one saying it would only work with 3 undefeated teams and the next best one loss, this is what you said:
If you think of the whole season as a playoff, four teams works very well. Take the undefeated P5 teams and fill in with the next best one-loss team(s)…
You're argument for four teams being perfect is based on the implied fact there will be 3 undefeated P5 teams.... I was just pointing out 1)This has happened once since CFP inception and 2) It's possible to have 6 undefeated P5 teams, then what? If you think four teams accurately represents the total amount of teams that have a claim to the national championship, then this year is a perfect example as to why four isn't enough (as was last year). UCF honestly deserves a shot, sure you can penalize them for weak conference/OOC scheduling, but going undefeated in FBS is impressive, seed them last in whatever theoretical amount you want, but they deserve a shot nonetheless.
If you had continued with the bolding to finish the word, it might make more sense.
Take the undefeated P5 teams and fill in with the next best one-loss team(s)
While it might not be grammatically pure, (s) is commonly used at the end of a word to indicate one or more.

I wouldn't object to UCF being the fourth seed, especially since they went undefeated last year as well. My bigger concern is, are the top two teams among the four? I think most years, you can safely say that they are. It might not be perfect, but why add additional games? Does this benefit the players in any way? Players are skipping bowl games so they don't get injured before the draft.

You are correct. I was mixing that attempt up with the attempt in the 1920s when they voted no 6-4 I believe, mostly cause ND was Catholic. Then ND had to go and find their own games, accumulating the rivalries you see today and that is why they wanted to keep them in the 90s because they only existed in the first place because the B1G said no.

:(