College Football Playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
Take Calvin's suggestion, and apply it to last year and use the final playoff rankings to seed. For sake of argument, I'm including Notre Dame and Georgia as the two at large selections (sorry, Michigan). Here's what your first round of games would look like:

1. Alabama
8. Washington - This would not have been much of game

4. Oklahoma
5. Georgia - If Oklahoma wins, we'd get the game we got anyway. If Georgia wins, we'd get a rematch played just weeks earlier.

3. ND
6. Ohio State - If ND wins, we'd get the game we got anyway. If OSU wins, that's would be a new matchup .

2. Clemson
7. UCF - This would not have been much of a game
THAT IS YOUR OPINION!
tenor.gif

I think if Penn State runs through the rest of their schedule and beats Ohio State (in a really good and close game), the B1G could see 2 teams in the playoff, assuming Ohio State wins the rest of there games handily.

My point is there are 2-3 really good teams. The rest, whether 4 or 8, is just a parade and process to get to the top 2 playing.

I have no doubt the playoffs will be expanded. But it will be done so because all the big conferences will want access, not because teams 5-8 will actually win the thing.

which teams were left out in 2018, based on opinions? 2017?

Counterpoints off the top of my head:
*The inaugural season, tOSU was a 4 seed with a back-up quarterback that no one thought would win....and we know what actually happened.
*To say you know how the games play out means you are fabulously wealthy from winning your bets. Congrats. Please, please share your picks before the games so we can enjoy the winnings too!
*Part of the problem is the inherit bias towards P5/blueblood/ratings. If you make the playoff based entirely on performance (except wild-cards, which will keep the debates alive), you change how teams approach the season, as well as eliminate the bias. It won't matter what name is on the jersey, or what the polls say before the season starts. Any team can take care of business and make it.

As a practical matter, this will always be about money, which comes first. The playoff format will only change if they run the numbers, and the interest in another round results in more money than the alternative. Unfortunately, adding a game is gonna be tough, especially if it means taking away a regular season game, and all the associated revenue. I suspect the only way this works is if they decide to add a game.

I think if Penn State runs through the rest of their schedule and beats Ohio State (in a really good and close game), the B1G could see 2 teams in the playoff, assuming Ohio State wins the rest of there games handily.

I think the problem is that the committee will want to put in 2 SEC teams this year, given their strength, and assuming Clemson goes, the question will be whether the BIG's 2nd team is better than the SEC's 2nd team. I think you're suggestion is the best option. OSU will be harder to leave out if PSU beats them in a close game. A part of me would love to have the SEC bitching about it!

I think the problem is that the committee will want to put in 2 SEC teams this year, given their strength, and assuming Clemson goes, the question will be whether the BIG's 2nd team is better than the SEC's 2nd team. I think you're suggestion is the best option. OSU will be harder to leave out if PSU beats them in a close game. A part of me would love to have the SEC bitching about it!

To this point in the season, any strength that's been associated w/ the SEC is via LSU's results. Georgia has a nice win over Florida, but their early season win over ND doesn't look very good anymore. Florida and Auburn have been good teams, but not "SEC Great". Alabama hasn't played anybody and hasn't contributed anything to the SEC this year. Will be interesting to see how tomorrow's game goes, but I'd lay odds the SEC will have a very tough time making a case for two teams to be in the playoffs. I'd say the B1G 10 has a better shot, but odds are still long.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Attorney says Young accepted "a small loan from a close family friend to cover basic life expenses." Young says he has already paid the loan back.

Source

Quite a shake up in the standings. Both #3 and #4 go down. Penn State falls to Minney, Alabama loses to LSU.

How far will Minney rise?
Does LSU deserve the #1 spot?
Can Alabama still make the CFP?

There are currently 3 undefeated teams, 2 of which play each other (Minney/tOSU). If Clemson and tOSU win out, you have 2 undefeated teams, and a pair of 1 loss teams would likely be taken. But which two? And if tOSU stumbles against PSU or Minney in the championship game, is it still one of the 1 lost teams?

Quite a shake up in the standings. Both #3 and #4 go down. Penn State falls to Minney, Alabama loses to LSU.

How far will Minney rise?
Does LSU deserve the #1 spot?
Can Alabama still make the CFP?

There are currently 3 undefeated teams, 2 of which play each other (Minney/tOSU). If Clemson and tOSU win out, you have 2 undefeated teams, and a pair of 1 loss teams would likely be taken. But which two? And if tOSU stumbles against PSU or Minney in the championship game, is it still one of the 1 lost teams?

There are actually 5 undefeated teams. You’re forgetting Baylor and of course LSU.

If Alabama wins out, the SEC is getting two teams. Bama and the winner of LSU/Georgia.

Any other year i would agree with you, but this is not that year

Actually, the opposite is true. Any other year and I’d agree with you but not this year.

There’s only 1-1 loss team with an attractive win on their resume and that’s Georgia, who has LSU for the SEC Championship. They lose that game they’re a 2 loss club and out. Oregon has beaten nobody with a loss to the aforementioned Auburn Tigers, Utah has beaten nobody with a loss to a non-ranked team, Oklahoma has beaten nobody with a loss to a soon to be non-ranked team. A two loss team isn’t getting in, that leaves Minnesota and Baylor. Minnesota still has OSU and Baylor has Oklahoma. If Bama wins out and LSU wins the SEC, Bama is 100% going to the CFP.

Actually, the opposite is true. Any other year and I’d agree with you but not this year.

There’s only 1-1 loss team with an attractive win on their resume and that’s Georgia, who has LSU for the SEC Championship. They lose that game they’re a 2 loss club and out. Oregon has beaten nobody with a loss to the aforementioned Auburn Tigers, Utah has beaten nobody with a loss to a non-ranked team, Oklahoma has beaten nobody with a loss to a soon to be non-ranked team. A two loss team isn’t getting in, that leaves Minnesota and Baylor. Minnesota still has OSU and Baylor has Oklahoma. If Bama wins out and LSU wins the SEC, Bama is 100% going to the CFP.

What happens if LSU loses to Georgia? LSU would still get in with Georgia and Bama would be out?

There are actually 5 undefeated teams. You’re forgetting Baylor and of course LSU.

If Alabama wins out, the SEC is getting two teams. Bama and the winner of LSU/Georgia.
I disagree. Is LSU loses to Georgia, both LSU and Georgia will make it. They'd never penalize LSU for playing an extra game..
. especially after beating Alabama head to head, on the road.

There will be two SEC teams. Assuming no upsets before the SEC Championship game.....it will be LSU and either Georgia/Alabama.

What happens if LSU loses to Georgia? LSU would still get in with Georgia and Bama would be out?
You beat me too the question. If Georgia were to win, there are two certainties:

1)The SEC Champions would never be left out(Georgia)

2)Under what rationale could they take Alabama over LSU? LSU beat them head to head.....in Tuscaloosa AND had to plan an extra game(SEC Championship).

What would be interesting is if LSU wins the SEC Championship and Alabama loses to Auburn. There is going to be a riot over that #4 spot.

Alabama is out who have they beat

Absolutely nobody. Are they a dangerous team? For sure. But they will need help to get in the playoffs this year, I think. There is a lot of football still to be played, and we're not done with upsets, but the path will be difficult for them.

I disagree. Is LSU loses to Georgia, both LSU and Georgia will make it. They'd never penalize LSU for playing an extra game..
. especially after beating Alabama head to head, on the road.

There will be two SEC teams. Assuming no upsets before the SEC Championship game.....it will be LSU and either Georgia/Alabama.

You know what? I stand corrected, you are spot on here. If Georgia and LSU get to the SEC title game as is and the Dogs pull that out, they should both get to the CFP.

That said, my original point remains and you clearly agree, Alabama couldn’t be further from out. If they beat Auburn and LSU wins this SEC, they’re in.

What would be interesting is if LSU wins the SEC Championship and Alabama loses to Auburn. There is going to be a riot over that #4 spot.

I’d imagine whoever wins the PAC 12 gets in under that scenario. Oklahoma has no resume. If they win out, their signature win is Baylor. Baylor. I assure you, that Bears team is not good. The winner of the PAC 12 will be a 1 loss team with a win over Oregon/Utah. That’s looks like a clear cut call for the committee in my view.

Minnesota is gonna have to win the conference to have a shot.

Absolutely nobody. Are they a dangerous team? For sure. But they will need help to get in the playoffs this year, I think. There is a lot of football still to be played, and we're not done with upsets, but the path will be difficult for them.

How? They’re path is crystal clear. Win out, have Georgia lose. Easy.

Minnesota is gonna have to win the conference to have a shot.
Time out.... are we writing Minnesota off here? If they win out their regular season, they will have beaten #4 PSU, a top 25 Iowa, and possibly a top 10 (at least top 15) Wisconsin. Is the rest of their schedule so weak that their one loss (which would be to #1 Ohio State in the championship) would make them weaker to other 1-loss teams?

Time out.... are we writing Minnesota off here? If they win out their regular season, they will have beaten #4 PSU, a top 25 Iowa, and possibly a top 10 (at least top 15) Wisconsin. Is the rest of their schedule so weak that their one loss (which would be to #1 Ohio State in the championship) would make them weaker to other 1-loss teams?

In theory no but this is the problem with the college ranking system. They started too far back in relation to the rest of the legitimate playoff pack. This week, for instance, they’re probably ranked no higher than 8th. A win against 2 loss Wisconsin won’t move the needle. To get into the top 4, they’ll need to win the conference.

How? They’re path is crystal clear. Win out, have Georgia lose. Easy.

Alabama doesn't have a chance for a signature win. Beating Auburn won't mean much, and the committee won't punish Georgia for playing an extra game and (presumably) losing to #1 LSU.

More chaos would have to happen for Alabama for them to get in. Still lots of football to be played. There are more surprises out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.