College Football Playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well of course it’s disingenuous, it’s hyperbole for affect. I’m not a jerk all the time, I do have some capability for humor. That said, you inadvertently furthered my case with one ugly word: Wisconsin.

It was stated earlier and I will find the comment and re-quote it if I must that Georgia had a stronger case to make the CFP with 2 losses than Alabama would with 1 because the committee would never knock a team for losing that extra game. If that is true, then why was Wisconsin left out in the bitter cold? Their only loss was in that extra game. It wasn’t a bad loss, 6 points to Ohio State, that close. Why were they dismissed? Simply put, the committee didn’t buy them as a top 4 team in the country. All they needed was one small slip up to withdraw them from consideration in favor of the team that’s more appealing to them. This will not be an isolated incident.

And to say once more, I don’t agree with this process. I’m merely communicating how it operates.

How was Iowa able to beat Ohio State by 31 points, but Wisconsin couldn't? It was there for the taking and the Badgers spit the bit. The B1G Championship was essentially a playoff/play in game.

The B1G 10 holds the distinction of having two teams go undefeated during the regular season, lose the B1G 10 championship game, and get left out of the CFP. Iowa in 2015, who got as high as #4 in CFP rankings, but lost to #5 MSU (MSU got into playoffs).
Wisconsin in 2017, who got as high as #4 in CFP rankings, but lost to #8 Ohio State.

How was Iowa able to beat Ohio State by 31 points, but Wisconsin couldn't? It was there for the taking and the Badgers spit the bit. The B1G Championship was essentially a playoff/play in game.

The B1G 10 holds the distinction of having two teams go undefeated during the regular season, lose the B1G 10 championship game, and get left out of the CFP. Iowa in 2015, who got as high as #4 in CFP rankings, but lost to #5 MSU (MSU got into playoffs).
Wisconsin in 2017, who got as high as #4 in CFP rankings, but lost to #8 Ohio State.

Now this is a fine post, I agree 100%. Wisconsin’s resume at that point was fairly mediocre but irrelevant. They needed to win the Big Ten for the committee to put them in and they came up short which leads us to today. Minnesota. Unless they win the Big Ten, they will finish behind Alabama and will be out. I don’t agree with that. I view a Minnesota team with wins over Penn State and Wisconsin (Should they win the axe) as a team with a significantly more attractive CFP resume than Oregon/Utah or Alabama. If I had a vote, the only team above them at that point would be an SEC Champion Georgia team. Unfortunately, that will not come to fruition. If Minnesota does not win the conference, they won’t get in.

The Big 12 is probably out. Oklahoma and Baylor only have themselves left to play to move the needle and they’re ranked 10th and 12th respectively. Barring a second loss from Alabama, Georgia, Oregon/Utah they’re completely out and even that might not do it. Baylor is currently ranked BEHIND 2 loss Auburn, the 4th best team in the SEC. The committee clearly doesn’t view them as relevant. If there’s only 1 ACC team (That conference is in a tough spot) and 1 Big Ten team, you need Georgia to win the SEC and/or hope Oregon/Utah can make a plea to bump Alabama. Saban’s case isn’t difficult to make and it’s not a hill to climb. It’s very easy for them. Get a win from LSU, a win from OSU and convince the committee that the Pac-12 isn’t any good. Not only is that not difficult, it’s highly likely.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Now this is a fine post, I agree 100%. Wisconsin’s resume at that point was fairly mediocre but irrelevant. They needed to win the Big Ten for the committee to put them in and they came up short which leads us to today. Minnesota. Unless they win the Big Ten, they will finish behind Alabama and will be out. I don’t agree with that. I view a Minnesota team with wins over Penn State and Wisconsin (Should they win the axe) as a team with a significantly more attractive CFP resume than Oregon/Utah or Alabama. If I had a vote, the only team above them at that point would be an SEC Champion Georgia team. Unfortunately, that will not come to fruition. If Minnesota does not win the conference, they won’t get in.

The Big 12 is probably out. Oklahoma and Baylor only have themselves left to play to move the needle and they’re ranked 10th and 12th respectively. Barring a second loss from Alabama, Georgia, Oregon/Utah they’re completely out and even that might not do it. Baylor is currently ranked BEHIND 2 loss Auburn, the 4th best team in the SEC. The committee clearly doesn’t view them as relevant. If there’s only 1 ACC team (That conference is in a tough spot) and 1 Big Ten team, you need Georgia to win the SEC and/or hope Oregon/Utah can make a plea to bump Alabama. Saban’s case isn’t difficult to make and it’s not a hill to climb. It’s very easy for them. Get a win from LSU, a win from OSU and convince the committee that the Pac-12 isn’t any good. Not only is that not difficult, it’s highly likely.
Also, let's not forget Minny would have a W over a (likely) 7-5 or even 8-4 Illinois. Looks like a much better win than it did at the time. ;)

Deleted member 654622

D
How so? If they are undefeated winning the BIG 12 I would certainly think they are in. If you are saying they have no realistic chance to go undefeated then yeah that is debatable.
I don't see how they can hold an undefeated Baylor team out. If they beat Oklahoma then they will take a significant jump up in the rankings. Part of me wants to see them get left out though. BS like that is the only way change happens

An undefeated Power 5 conference champion will never be left out. They might get crushed in the playoffs, but they’ll never get left out.

Well yeah, they’re not going to remain undefeated. I’m happy to see that program doing well but that’s a mediocre football team. However, the real issue is how the committee views Baylor and Oklahoma. Simply put, they don’t have an opportunity to leap frog into the top 4 without major craziness occurring above them.

An undefeated Big 12 champion not getting in is very real, even if it shouldn’t be.

Minnesota is likely going to be ranked lower than Alabama this week. If I had to wager, I would guess they put Alabama at 5 (LSU, OSO, Clemson, Georgia 1-4)this week and Minnesota at 6-8 with Penn State hovering somewhere close to 10.

I’m not going to say “I told you so”. I’m merely going to clear my throat and point...casually.

What if 1 loss Minnesota beats undefeated OSU in the B1G championship? Minnesota would have to get in over Bama right? I need some chaos.

I do not agree that they should be #4 but I think we all agree that this system does not have integrity. The whole "eye test" is BS. Either you win or lose.

The SEC commish was on Gameday before the LSU Alabama game and was trying to push the idea that four is enough teams because every game counts in college football. If every game counted, then regardless of anyone else's records, Alabama would be out of the playoff discussion unless LSU lost 2 more games. You had your shot, you lost at home to a playoff team. We don't need to see it again. I want to see want to see the best teams from the top 4 conferences go at it. Questions answered

You're crazy if you don't want to see Bama LSU again. We all know just because Bama lost the 1st doesn't mean they'll lose the 2nd.

Deleted member 654622

D
You're crazy if you don't want to see Bama LSU again. We all know just because Bama lost the 1st doesn't mean they'll lose the 2nd.
Uh Ok call me crazy. I have no desire to watch them play again. I have more interest in seeing what Oklahoma or Baylor can do over Alabama. I just watched Alabama get their ace kicked at home. Garbage TD time at the end makes that score look closer than the game was.

Uh Ok call me crazy. I have no desire to watch them play again. I have more interest in seeing what Oklahoma or Baylor can do over Alabama. I just watched Alabama get their ace kicked at home. Garbage TD time at the end makes that score look closer than the game was.

I have no dog in this fight (Truthfully, as a big Kirby Smart fan I'd rather see Georgia) but I've twice now seen someone refer to that last TD as a garbage time score. It was anything but. There was a minute and a half or so left in the game at that point and Bama had 2 TOs. The game is still very much in doubt right there. LSU needed a first down to actually end the football game and they got it.

Deleted member 654622

D
I have no dog in this fight (Truthfully, as a big Kirby Smart fan I'd rather see Georgia) but I've twice now seen someone refer to that last TD as a garbage time score. It was anything but. There was a minute and a half or so left in the game at that point and Bama had 2 TOs. The game is still very much in doubt right there. LSU needed a first down to actually end the football game and they got it.
I am assuming you watched the game Twangers. For your "eye test" was Alabama in that game? I say no they were not

I am assuming you watched the game Twangers. For your "eye test" was Alabama in that game? I say no they were not

I did the next day. I was busy preparing to watch a better team play Saturday...

I could write a long, multiple page breakdown but I'll leave it short and simple: No, they didn't pass the eye test.

I agree but that's why it needs to be an 8 team playoff. If a power 5 team can win their conference they should always get a shot at a natty.

But in this format the whole resume has to be looked at. There is too much randomness in 1 game. You say Bama got their butt kicked. I say they made a lot of unforced errors that likely wouldn't happen in a second game.

Deleted member 654622

D
I agree but that's why it needs to be an 8 team playoff. If a power 5 team can win their conference they should always get a shot at a natty.

But in this format the whole resume has to be looked at. There is too much randomness in 1 game. You say Bama got their butt kicked. I say they made a lot of unforced errors that likely wouldn't happen in a second game.
Regardless of how they lost, regardless of what the system should be, this is what we got. Especially in this system with limited spots, Alabama does not deserve a second shot over other teams that have earned their first.

Analysis by ESPN

"No. 5 Alabama...is now the third-best team in the SEC, according to the selection committee. "

Herbstreit also brought up the committee leap-frogging bama, but not until the final week after the conference champs have better resumes.

Remember, on Championship Saturday, when it's LSU/Georgia, OSU/Minnesota, etc, playing for high profile conference championships, Alabama will be sitting at home. Zero chance to impress the committee that day or improve their resume. I think that will matter and carry weight. I don't know who will get in, but I believe Alabama's odds are very very long, unless utter chaos happens.

Regardless of how they lost, regardless of what the system should be, this is what we got. Especially in this system with limited spots, Alabama does not deserve a second shot over other teams that have earned their first.

How does an LSU loss disqualify Bama but a Kansas State loss doesn’t disqualify Oklahoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.