College Football Playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
How does an LSU loss disqualify Bama but a Kansas State loss doesn’t disqualify Oklahoma?
Because we know who is better between LSU and Alabama and that is LSU without discussion. We will know who is better between Georgia and LSU before the season is out, without discussion.
Do we 100% know who is better between Oklahoma and LSU/Georgia? No we don't. That is how sir

The losses don’t disqualify either. Both still have long paths to getting selected. Alabama can’t (at this time) win its conference and has just one remaining ranked opponent. Oklahoma is ranked much lower, but has two bullets left in their gun...Baylor and wining their conference.

Because we know who is better between LSU and Alabama and that is LSU without discussion. We will know who is better between Georgia and LSU before the season is out, without discussion.
Do we 100% know who is better between Oklahoma and LSU/Georgia? No we don't. That is how sir

That is silly. If we know without question that LSU is better than Bama then we also know Kansas St is better than Oklahoma. And we know South Carolina is better than Georgia.

The committee’s goal is to pick the 4 best teams.You can’t look at 1 game. It has to be the whole resume.

Deleted member 654622

D
That is silly. If we know without question that LSU is better than Bama then we also know Kansas St is better than Oklahoma. And we know South Carolina is better than Georgia.

The committee’s goal is to pick the 4 best teams.You can’t look at 1 game. It has to be the whole resume.
psst Kansas State played and beat an SEC school already this year. If we are not going to use results on the field to determine champions then why are we even playing the games?

BZuppke

Plainfield
I’m in Minneapolis today and on the top corner of the Star Tribune there’s a Rose with the slogan ‘California here we come’. The constant goal of a Big Ten team - the Rose Bowl. I yearn for those days when winning the conference and going to the Rose Bowl was all we needed to be happy. I note the paper also has news of this year’s horrible sugar beet harvest in Minnesota as front page news. 😄

Remember, on Championship Saturday, when it's LSU/Georgia, OSU/Minnesota, etc, playing for high profile conference championships, Alabama will be sitting at home. Zero chance to impress the committee that day or improve their resume. I think that will matter and carry weight. I don't know who will get in, but I believe Alabama's odds are very very long, unless utter chaos happens.
They just did this in 2017. Didn't play in the SEC Championship game but leapfrogged into the playoffs and won the National Championship.

While Alabama is at #5 this year (as of now) just like in 2017, I think there's enough difference between 2019 and 2017, such that they are likely to be left out.

I am interested in seeing the committee's opinion on Alabama without Tua now

I think using that as any sort of real criteria would open a dangerous Pandora’s box that the CFP would be very wise to leave closed.

If they think Alabama is good enough with Tua, they need to proceed as if they’re good enough without him. “If” being the key word.

Deleted member 654622

D
There are already a large number of people (For good reason) questioning the integrity of the system. You start letting these types of situations influence things...oh boy.
It would be a great blow for the side wanting conference champs

It is a good day with Auburn getting beat the coffin has closed on the tide
I don't think the coffin has closed on the Tide yet. If LSU beats Georgia....the coffin is still very much open and should they go in and blow the doors off of Auburn, I do think they will be the #4. If Georgia beats LSU....then the coffin is closed.

Why would the the committee move Alabama over Georgia in that situation? There's no rational for doing so. Both would have lost to LSU; Georgia's loss coming in a conference championship game. Committee's not gonna move a team that didn't play on Championship Saturday ahead of a team that did play (and presumably lost to the higher ranked LSU team). Georgia beat Auburn (say 8-4), Florida (say 10-2) and (uh oh) ND (say 10-2). Alabama will have beaten just....Auburn (8-4).

Why would the the committee move Alabama over Georgia in that situation? There's no rational for doing so. Both would have lost to LSU; Georgia's loss coming in a conference championship game. Committee's not gonna move a team that didn't play on Championship Saturday ahead of a team that did play (and presumably lost to the higher ranked LSU team). Georgia beat Auburn (say 8-4), Florida (say 10-2) and (uh oh) ND (say 10-2). Alabama will have beaten just....Auburn (8-4).

As stated, multiple times, this has already happened. Georgia also has to explain a loss to a soon-to-be non-bowl eligible team. Two words: Good. Luck.

Baylor is about to go down. Alabama’s case gets even stronger, if that was possible. Obviously Tua is a killer but CFP paper wise, today was a phenomenal day for them.

Last edited:
Which team, playing in a conference championship game, and losing that game to a higher ranked team, dropped? Has never happened.

Which team, playing in a conference championship game, and losing that game to a higher ranked team, dropped? Has never happened.

I don't understand this from an argumentative standpoint. There's definitely been cases where higher ranked losers in a championship game were dropped out in favor of a team that didn't play in a championship. So why would losing if you're the lower ranked team be off limits?

I certainly don't think Alabama deserves to be back in, but the CFP committee would put in 4 SEC schools if they could. So, they're never out until the final ranking are released.

Wrong often, never in doubt.

They’ve dropped a team who lost in the conference title game before, it will happen again. The only thing in question under that scenario is which team jumps them.

Yep, Wisconsin dropped from #4 in 2017, when it lost to a lower ranked Ohio State. And yes, Iowa was dropped from #4 when it lost to....#5 MSU in 2015. But neither of those apply here.

Should all teams hold serve (big assumption), and #4 Georgia lose to #1 LSU is the SEC championship game, that will be the first time anything like that has ever happened. Some other team might get in, but it won't be Alabama, which was the original point.

A 2 loss Georgia team will NEVER keep that spot. Ever.

Yes, I agree with this sentiment completely. If Georgia holds their own against LSU and wins, there’s a real chance Georgia and LSU both go (leaving the pac-12 and big 12 out).

If Georgia loses, it’s going to come down to probably how good Utah/Oregon looks, then followed by how good Oklahoma looks (if they win the big 12 championship) then Alabama.

If both of the first two scenarios result in teams that don’t light it up, Alabama is back in (if they beat Auburn).

Of course, this all assumes Ohio St. and Clemson win out.

Of course, this all assumes Ohio St. and Clemson win out.

Both will.

Ohio State is legitimately good. Granted I’m slightly biased, Justin Fields is the highest HS grade I’ve ever personally given out but this team could easily beat LSU. They’re ridiculously talented and very well coached. They could win the NC.

As for Clemson, well, the ACC is in some trouble. Mack Brown is scoring some slightly surprising (Or perhaps not?) recruits but Manny is getting smoked (and he’s about to lose a good one to us), kids are fleeing from FSU, Bronco has tapered off and the others are merely treading water. Clemson is in line to dominate for the next 2-4 years plus. They have no reasonable equal.

Deleted member 654622

D
I will not try and predict what will happen. But next week Oregon plays Arizona St., Oklahoma plays TCU and Utah plays Arizona while Alabama plays West Carolina. They could move one of those teams in front of Alabama and say they have now at that point in the season done more. That would be a way to drop them with justification without mentioning Tua's injury

It is a good day with Auburn getting beat the coffin has closed on the tide

Bama has played 2 teams with winning records. New Mexico State & TAMU. Well, I suppose you could add the LSU game....

Status
Not open for further replies.