Comcast/BTN issue has been settled

breadman

Herndon, VA
We just received the most current issue of Consumer Reports. The main report is all about the streaming services, their costs, their quality, etc.

Sling Blue offers it at $10 per month extra to their normal monthly cost of $25. The only problem is that Sling doesn't offer BTN...

Thank you. It seems a lot of folks use two or more cord cutting options, such as Sling Blue and, say DirecTV Now, so that is something we may need to do.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Thank you. It seems a lot of folks use two or more cord cutting options, such as Sling Blue and, say DirecTV Now, so that is something we may need to do.
The worst part is that neither of these are truly cord cutting platforms. You still need to pay for an internet provider, or jack up your phone plan for unlimited data. Speaking of which, has anyone done that - use an unlimited phone plan for data instead? Any words of wisdom to share about doing that?

IlliniFanAtEIU1953

Rantoul, IL
How much data usage do you guys go through each month for those of you that use Internet streaming to watch your TV shows?

I'm asking because where I live I have Mediacom as my Internet service and they have monthly limits on how much data you can get from each Internet plan.

My current Internet plan has a 250 gigabyte data limit and when you're watching lots of streaming video on the Internet it doesn't take long to use up 250 gigabytes of data.

My current Mediacom Internet plan costs me $59.99 each month.

My other Internet options would be DSL from the phone company or a satellite Internet service.

Cable is going the way of the landline. I haven't had either in years. I stream everything, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Roku, etc, and have an antenna on the roof for the occasional local network broadcast. It's great. I can watch a game on my laptop if I'm not at home. Or the TV is occupied with the latest episode of Captain Underpants.
Delany looked like a genius oracle ten years ago, now not so much. He needs to cut a deal with Netflix or someone, or figure something out to stay out in front of the technology. Otherwise we'll be watching games live streamed from some dude's iPhone.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
How much data usage do you guys go through each month for those of you that use Internet streaming to watch your TV shows?

I'm asking because where I live I have Mediacom as my Internet service and they have monthly limits on how much data you can get from each Internet plan.

My current Internet plan has a 250 gigabyte data limit and when you're watching lots of streaming video on the Internet it doesn't take long to use up 250 gigabytes of data.

My other Internet options would be DSL from the phone company or a satellite Internet service.
I also have Mediacom. Used to constantly go over the cap, at $10 per 50GB. I caved in and upgraded my plan, current data cap is 1000GB and we've never even come close to going over, even with three people streaming a lot of video. My bill is $97 currently.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Pardon I wasn't very clear in my response. What you're quoting is the "BTN Plus" service, which is not the BTN TV channel you receive on your cable/satellite package. (BTN Plus is an online-only service where you can watch some non-televised B1G games & events for a monthly fee such as a few B1G men's basketball games.)
To your original question, if you get the BTN tv channel on your cable/satellite package, then you can watch BTN rollover channels online on BTN2Go. Since you were only talking about not receiving the rollover channels (which is a common situation with BTN subscribers across the country) I was guessing that you do indeed get BTN sorry about the confusion:)

No worries, I wasn't clear, either. I had BTN via Comcast down in Houston but don't any more. Looks like I can't get any live games unless I find a pirated feed.

Sorry for my confusion.

IlliniFanAtEIU1953

Rantoul, IL
I also have Mediacom. Used to constantly go over the cap, at $10 per 50GB. I caved in and upgraded my plan, current data cap is 1000GB and we've never even come close to going over, even with three people streaming a lot of video. My bill is $97 currently.

Sampson, Thanks for that info on your Mediacom plan. I'll have to look into switching my current plan to that higher data limit plan. I also cut the cable TV cord and have an antenna in my attic for watching my local TV channels and I get 20 TV channels with this attic TV antenna.

Here's a link to a Mediacom website that shows the various Internet plans and their data speeds and data limits for those of you who also have Mediacom as your Internet provider: https://www.mediacomcable.com/legal/additional-terms-and-conditions/

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
The absolute only reason I would get Xfinity TV is for BTN or if the package somehow dropped my internet cost after my promotion ends in October. I just don't need cable anymore.

I have the Roku stick and use Playstation Vue streaming service. I get the BTN through the streaming service.
I use PS Vue in Ohio and it works well. I dropped WOW! CATV service as they wanted to jack my rate to about $180 per month for their service (this was a few years ago). Traditional CATV is probably in trouble as everyone will eventually switch to streamed services to avoid massive bills.

sacraig

The desert
The worst part is that neither of these are truly cord cutting platforms. You still need to pay for an internet provider, or jack up your phone plan for unlimited data. Speaking of which, has anyone done that - use an unlimited phone plan for data instead? Any words of wisdom to share about doing that?

Be careful. Most "unlimited" plans are not truly unlimited because they throttle you after you reach a certain data cap. There is some talk that some of the big mobile broadband providers are looking to move into a position where they can essentially be a replacement for home internet, but until they can offer truly unlimited data, it's a pipe dream. Also, every single one of the major telecoms in the mobile space sucks and I wouldn't trust them to follow through on any promise like that. Monopolistic behavior.

Well, I am paying for BTN, but it is no longer part of the Xfinity lineup. This should be an interesting conversation.

I have Comcast internet and all my TV is through PSVue. Luckily, Comcast gives you 1TB of data a month. We generally use 300-400gb per month and no one is home all day so this is just typical weeknight + weekend TV usage.

illini80

Forgottonia
I despise Comcast, but let's be very clear here. Comcast would be OVERJOYED to offer BTN on an a la carte sports tier that college sports fans can pay a little extra for and watch to their heart's content. It is the Big Ten that is refusing to do that, holding their games and their fans hostage in order to extract $1 a month out of every grandma in the entire area who wouldn't be able to find BTN if they tried. That is why BTN makes money, not because people are actually watching. It's a scam, it has always been a scam, and while they may get their way this time, it is only a matter of time until the scam falls apart.
This is exactly correct, and I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the rate is currently around $1.5.

I am always amazed at how everyone complains about how high their cable bill is, but the second the cable company tries to negotiate a better deal for their customers by threatening to drop the channel that is trying to hold them hostage, we all scream murder. At the cable company.

You want B10? Call comcast and tell them you don't care what it costs as long as they keep BTN. Or call the B10 and tell them to stop screwing their fans.

This is exactly correct, and I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the rate is currently around $1.5.

I am always amazed at how everyone complains about how high their cable bill is, but the second the cable company tries to negotiate a better deal for their customers by threatening to drop the channel that is trying to hold them hostage, we all scream murder. At the cable company.

You want B10? Call comcast and tell them you don't care what it costs as long as they keep BTN. Or call the B10 and tell them to stop screwing their fans.

Well, if they don't want to be held to an unfair double standard, maybe they should do something about their sociopathic customer service. That ain't Jim Delany's fault.

A pox on both their houses, I say.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
My big issue with Youtube TV is that there is was no way to watch it on my actual TV when I last looked except with an HDMI cable. Has that changed?

*edit The answer to that is no. No I cannot watch it on my TV still unless I buy a chromecast.

https://tv.youtube.com/learn/devices/

t7nich

Central IL
My big issue with Youtube TV is that there is was no way to watch it on my actual TV when I last looked except with an HDMI cable. Has that changed?

*edit The answer to that is no. No I cannot watch it on my TV still unless I buy a chromecast.

https://tv.youtube.com/learn/devices/

If you don't have a smart TV where you can get the YouTube App then yes, a chromecast is an option that should work. Pretty sure they are like $35. Would be worth it, with the money you'd be saving per month if you're switching from cable.

sacraig

The desert
YouTube TV says they have BTN as part of their $40/month subscription. Unfortunately it is literally the only channel they offer that I don't already have with Comcrap that I would ever want to watch.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Well yes, but it is also a hell of a lot cheaper than Comcast.

Also, there are other ways to watch it without a Chromecast, but if your TV or Blu-Ray player doesn't have the relevant app or if you don't have an Xbox One or PS4, then yes, you would need a Chromecast or a Roku or something similar (except for anything with Amazon branding, because Google and Amazon are not getting along well).

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
I went to edit my last post but there is a time limit.

I have a PS4, so Vue Core at $49.99 isn't terrible. Bundled with my internet that's $89 a month for 150 mb/s plus TV.
Comcast at 150 mb/s with 200+ channels (their 125+ package doesn't include BTN) would be $120 with a 2 year contract, plus $13 more bucks in taxes and $10 in equipment rental, so $143 or so.

Vue+internet: $50 (core package) + $40 (blast internet package from Comcast), cancel any time.
Vue without PS4+internet: $299(PS4) + $50 (core package) + $40 (blast internet package from Comcast)
Xfinity + internet: $140 monthly(blast internet + 250+ channels), 2 year contract + $16 equipment +$13 in taxes

I think the winner is obvious. Even buying a PS4 is cheaper in the long run. Think of it as your "equipment rental fee" that Comcast charges you every month but after 18 months (or less) of the $16 equipment fees comcast would have charged you, the PS4 pays for itself (Retail $299.99 for a brand new PS4, $250 or less for used).

It is cheaper after 18 months* of us to buy a new PS4 and use Vue than continue to use your Comcast cable package. Now you have a PS4, a monthly contract, and no taxes and equipment fees. You can cancel your cable like I do from April to September, so the PS4 purchase pays for itself even quicker.
*even shorter time if you cancel your service on months you don't use it. 4 months of cancelled Vue pays for the PS4 if you would have been stuck with Xfinity in your 2 year contract.

Also, for anyone that rents their router/modem from Comcast, stop it. Buy your own router/modem in the $120 range. Set up takes 30 minutes and your equipment will be much better and provide stronger Wifi signals and more consistent internet. After 1 year, the modem/router pays for itself because Comcast charges you $10 a month to rent their garbage modem/router combo.