Comcast/BTN issue has been settled

Deleted member 29907

D
Yeah, I'm not really sure what this means. If I subscribe to the Sports and Entertainment Package will I have BTN at the start of the season or not? :unsure:
The assumption is, as a grown up, you continue to live around your school or another B1G school ? Really glad I dumped Compost and cut the cord. Competition, competition people - its a wonderful, consumer empowering concept.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
This reads like less money for the BT:

Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast will continue to offer BTN to customers who reside in states with Big Ten schools (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin).
Xfinity customers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the Northern Virginia/Beltway area will also continue to receive the network given their proximity to Big Ten schools.
In addition, customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to BTN as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package in the coming months.

As an out of market-er I'd be worked about the "coming months" statement as well. Glad they came to a deal, but still very happy I switched...

Yeah, will see how long it takes down here in Houston.

Stopped at Xfinity store and changed my plan. Asked when BTN would be back, noting that I have the Sports Entertainment Package. Answer: you will know before we do.

I have a feeling I'm writing for myself, Illini_1979, and bdutts, but I have more information. Yesterday I tried to sign in at btntogo with Comcast as my provider. Got a message that I wasn't eligible and should upgrade my service. Well, I have the Sports Entertainment Package, so that's malarkey. Clicked the button to chat with Comcast. Got a guy who was savvy enough. He gave me the media release "coming months" line. I asked him to be more specific, pointing out that football started this weekend and I expected the service this weekend. He then said something unexpected: He promised to bump my request up the chain to let his superiors know about my concerns. So, I wonder if enough people raise heck in this way, if Comcast will listen and restore BTN to the channel lineup and also bless the btntogo sign in sooner rather than later.

I have learned that Comcast now tracks who the comments/complaints come from and does care when a long term customer (15 years in our case) complains.

I think we will sign up for a Hulu one week free trial just to get the game Saturday.

breadman

Herndon, VA
The assumption is, as a grown up, you continue to live around your school or another B1G school ? Really glad I dumped Compost and cut the cord. Competition, competition people - its a wonderful, consumer empowering concept.

Exactly! It's the market competition, people.
And as I have mentioned before, AT&T is about to retire Directv's satellites in favor of streaming only, hence, DirecTVNow has magically appeared, and for less cost. I am currently employing DirecTV's satellites (since 1997 when my daughter was born) and researching the streaming alternatives, as many of you have already stated.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Exactly! It's the market competition, people.
And as I have mentioned before, AT&T is about to retire Directv's satellites in favor of streaming only, hence, DirecTVNow has magically appeared, and for less cost. I am currently employing DirecTV's satellites (since 1997 when my daughter was born) and researching the streaming alternatives, as many of you have already stated.

There are still more than 25 million DirecTV satellite users, so I think we're many years from this happening. Hopefully, their new "premium" version of Now will be worth switching to. For audio- / videophiles, the crap version of Now (720p / stereo audio through Roku) that they currently offer just won't cut it.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I have a feeling I'm writing for myself, Illini_1979, and bdutts, but I have more information. Yesterday I tried to sign in at btntogo with Comcast as my provider. Got a message that I wasn't eligible and should upgrade my service. Well, I have the Sports Entertainment Package, so that's malarkey. Clicked the button to chat with Comcast. Got a guy who was savvy enough. He gave me the media release "coming months" line. I asked him to be more specific, pointing out that football started this weekend and I expected the service this weekend. He then said something unexpected: He promised to bump my request up the chain to let his superiors know about my concerns. So, I wonder if enough people raise heck in this way, if Comcast will listen and restore BTN to the channel lineup and also bless the btntogo sign in sooner rather than later.

I have learned that Comcast now tracks who the comments/complaints come from and does care when a long term customer (15 years in our case) complains.

I think we will sign up for a Hulu one week free trial just to get the game Saturday.

Looks like lots of people are complaining. My guess is that I’ll get it down in Houston in the new year.

Well, tomorrow's the big day. The formal press release states "coming months," but this news article indicates this week for SW FL. That doesn't help me in Colorado, but I'm still hopeful.

Wednesday morning, Comcast's Florida Region office confirmed to the Daily News that the Big Ten Network will be back as part of its Sports & Entertainment Package this weekend.
"We know we have passionate Big Ten fans here in Southwest Florida and we are very happy to bring them the Big Ten Network so they can watch all the action on Xfinity right at the start of the season," said Mindy Kramer, Vice President of Public Relations for Comcast's Florida Region.

Naples Daily News

Last edited:

Illini_1979

Oregon
Many Comcast customers in FL are reporting (on the Comcast customer forums) that BTN is back in the Sports and Entertainment Package. It has also returned here in Portland, Oregon. I have resubscribed to the package and will get to watch the beloved put some hurt on Kent State tomorrow. Too bad disputes like this arise and then take until the absolute last minute to get resolved.

Dan

Admin
Couldn't hurt to check the btn gamefinder, as the game will be an overflow with the rutgers game and there have been issues where all overflow games aren't available in some areas (and instead it's only available online on btn2go)
http://btn.com/btn-gamefinder/

CAIllini

West Coast
I don't subscribe, but BTN reappeared in the Seattle area Comcast channel lineup this morning, as well.

Interesting...can you tell if it's in HD? In the bay area comcast had BTN for years, but it was in SD which drove me nuts....finally gave up on them.

Foggy Notion

San Francisco
Interesting...can you tell if it's in HD? In the bay area comcast had BTN for years, but it was in SD which drove me nuts....finally gave up on them.

Yeah, and SD is a very kind way of describing the video quality. Unwatchable.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Many Comcast customers in FL are reporting (on the Comcast customer forums) that BTN is back in the Sports and Entertainment Package. It has also returned here in Portland, Oregon. I have resubscribed to the package and will get to watch the beloved put some hurt on Kent State tomorrow. Too bad disputes like this arise and then take until the absolute last minute to get resolved.

Yep, it showed up in my guide in Houston today. Just pulled the trigger on the Sports package and lo and behold, it works!

I just got back from vacation after having switched to FIOS about a month ago from Comcrap. I was very pleased to have the football game on the overflow network in MA. My friend in NH got BTN back on Comcast a few days prior to football starting, but Comcast never had the overflow networks, and would have had to log in and watch on BTNtoGO. Happy with Verizon so far in general.

Here in NH it was turned on in HD for the Kent State game. I had to watch the Western game on BTN2Go last night from the stands in Durham watching the UNH Wildcats lose to Colgate 😒

Always happy when the beloved win, even if I can’t have it all and see the UNH Wildcats won too (wife is UNH alum).

Put BTNtoGo on the computer and used an HDMI cord to connect to the TV. Pretty good picture. Muted the TV and used my headphones to listen to the broadcast.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Put BTNtoGo on the computer and used an HDMI cord to connect to the TV. Pretty good picture. Muted the TV and used my headphones to listen to the broadcast.

BTNtoGo was horrible for me yesterday. Had to close the app and restart multiple time from my tablet. Just kept hanging.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Yeah... Same... Kept hanging on BTN2Go. I could always tell when I started hearing commentary that repeated what was just said.... But at least BTN is available again in Seattle...
Glad that it’s available again in a Texas as well. Still wish I got all the overflows but it is what it is.

Yeah... Same... Kept hanging on BTN2Go. I could always tell when I started hearing commentary that repeated what was just said.... But at least BTN is available again in Seattle...

Use the FOXSPORTS app. It is more reliable than BTN2GO. Any game on BTN will be available there as well.