Comcast/BTN issue has been settled

I went to edit my last post but there is a time limit.

I have a PS4, so Vue Core at $49.99 isn't terrible. Bundled with my internet that's $89 a month for 150 mb/s plus TV.
Comcast at 150 mb/s with 200+ channels (their 125+ package doesn't include BTN) would be $120 with a 2 year contract, plus $13 more bucks in taxes and $10 in equipment rental, so $143 or so.

Vue+internet: $50 (core package) + $40 (blast internet package from Comcast), cancel any time.
Vue without PS4+internet: $299(PS4) + $50 (core package) + $40 (blast internet package from Comcast)
Xfinity + internet: $140 monthly(blast internet + 250+ channels), 2 year contract + $16 equipment +$13 in taxes

I think the winner is obvious. Even buying a PS4 is cheaper in the long run. Think of it as your "equipment rental fee" that Comcast charges you every month but after 18 months (or less) of the $16 equipment fees comcast would have charged you, the PS4 pays for itself (Retail $299.99 for a brand new PS4, $250 or less for used).

It is cheaper after 18 months* of us to buy a new PS4 and use Vue than continue to use your Comcast cable package. Now you have a PS4, a monthly contract, and no taxes and equipment fees. You can cancel your cable like I do from April to September, so the PS4 purchase pays for itself even quicker.
*even shorter time if you cancel your service on months you don't use it. 4 months of cancelled Vue pays for the PS4 if you would have been stuck with Xfinity in your 2 year contract.

Also, for anyone that rents their router/modem from Comcast, stop it. Buy your own router/modem in the $120 range. Set up takes 30 minutes and your equipment will be much better and provide stronger Wifi signals and more consistent internet. After 1 year, the modem/router pays for itself because Comcast charges you $10 a month to rent their garbage modem/router combo.
And Vue does not require a PS4 for utilization - roku, fire, apple, etc streaming devices are supported.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Youtube TV is a pretty darned good deal. The only channels I can think of that aren't on there are WGN, MTV, and Comedy Central.

You're basically mooching off of venture capital money willing to price it at a loss to get people hooked. Always a good idea to jump on those deals when you can.

My wife corrected us - hallmark channel and lifetime are both also not included. Christmas movie season takes a whole new turn!:eek:

Still a good deal though

Illini_1979

Oregon
Youtube TV is a pretty darned good deal. The only channels I can think of that aren't on there are WGN, MTV, and Comedy Central.

You're basically mooching off of venture capital money willing to price it at a loss to get people hooked. Always a good idea to jump on those deals when you can.
No HGTV either. That's a non-starter in my household. :(

Deleted member 29907

D
My big issue with Youtube TV is that there is was no way to watch it on my actual TV when I last looked except with an HDMI cable. Has that changed?

*edit The answer to that is no. No I cannot watch it on my TV still unless I buy a chromecast.

https://tv.youtube.com/learn/devices/
Roku is an option. Also provides quick access to Netflix, HBO Now, BTN2GO, if so desired. The other item to consider for all is that once you're on a Roku or similar device, you now have Sling, YouTube TV, DirectTV Now etc. as options and I think all are month to month. So the competition to hold prices low is strong as the cost to switch is nil. Simply cancel at month end and switch over to a competitor app sitting on your Roku.

We bought 4 roku's for the house and the payback vs the Verizon FIOS box charges is something like 3 months or so. No brainer and allows the quick switch to a competitor if so desired. Plus easy access to the other streaming services.

sacraig

The desert
Check out DirectTV Now then.

My only problem with DirecTV Now is that it is operated by a traditional TV provider, which means I worry they will be a bit behind in terms of innovation and delivering the true benefits of streaming-only options that other less traditional providers would.

In essence, DirecTV Now is AT&T trying to ride the wave rather than generate the wave and keep it going.

Deleted member 29907

D
My only problem with DirecTV Now is that it is operated by a traditional TV provider, which means I worry they will be a bit behind in terms of innovation and delivering the true benefits of streaming-only options that other less traditional providers would.

In essence, DirecTV Now is AT&T trying to ride the wave rather than generate the wave and keep it going.

We chose YouTube TV because it allowed 3 concurrent viewers while DirectTV Now only allowed 2. I guess I would applaud them for trying to get up on the wave - time will tell if they pull it off - but the old model is dead unless the traditional providers change their pricing models.

Hulu also does live TV for $40 and includes BTN.
My daughter does Hulu without the live TV. $11.95 a month. For $28.05 I can add the live TV for as long as I want. Hulu allows two feeds at a time.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL

I actually tried out DirecTV Now and had a bigger issue. I have DirecTV satellite and was wanting to make the switch because I have Roku devices on all of my TVs. Unfortunately, at least as of a month ago, DirecTV Now audio through Roku is limited to 2.0 stereo and the video was limited to 720p. That won't cut it for anyone who enjoys good audio / video quality.

I went to edit my last post but there is a time limit.

I have a PS4, so Vue Core at $49.99 isn't terrible. Bundled with my internet that's $89 a month for 150 mb/s plus TV.
Comcast at 150 mb/s with 200+ channels (their 125+ package doesn't include BTN) would be $120 with a 2 year contract, plus $13 more bucks in taxes and $10 in equipment rental, so $143 or so.

Vue+internet: $50 (core package) + $40 (blast internet package from Comcast), cancel any time.
Vue without PS4+internet: $299(PS4) + $50 (core package) + $40 (blast internet package from Comcast)
Xfinity + internet: $140 monthly(blast internet + 250+ channels), 2 year contract + $16 equipment +$13 in taxes

I think the winner is obvious. Even buying a PS4 is cheaper in the long run. Think of it as your "equipment rental fee" that Comcast charges you every month but after 18 months (or less) of the $16 equipment fees comcast would have charged you, the PS4 pays for itself (Retail $299.99 for a brand new PS4, $250 or less for used).

It is cheaper after 18 months* of us to buy a new PS4 and use Vue than continue to use your Comcast cable package. Now you have a PS4, a monthly contract, and no taxes and equipment fees. You can cancel your cable like I do from April to September, so the PS4 purchase pays for itself even quicker.
*even shorter time if you cancel your service on months you don't use it. 4 months of cancelled Vue pays for the PS4 if you would have been stuck with Xfinity in your 2 year contract.

Also, for anyone that rents their router/modem from Comcast, stop it. Buy your own router/modem in the $120 range. Set up takes 30 minutes and your equipment will be much better and provide stronger Wifi signals and more consistent internet. After 1 year, the modem/router pays for itself because Comcast charges you $10 a month to rent their garbage modem/router combo.

You don't need a PS4 for Playstation Vue. I use an Amazon Fire TV.

No HGTV either. That's a non-starter in my household. :(

Look at PSVue (HGTV included). PSVue has the best lineup of channels for me. The only thing they don't have that I want is WGN (Using Core Package).

sacraig

The desert
I actually tried out DirecTV Now and had a bigger issue. I have DirecTV satellite and was wanting to make the switch because I have Roku devices on all of my TVs. Unfortunately, at least as of a month ago, DirecTV Now audio through Roku is limited to 2.0 stereo and the video was limited to 720p. That won't cut it for anyone who enjoys good audio / video quality.

Oh that's a real drag.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Look at PSVue (HGTV included). PSVue has the best lineup of channels for me. The only thing they don't have that I want is WGN (Using Core Package).

Might be straying too far off topic but does anyone know just what is the deal with WGN? Seems like the only way to get it is via Comcast or similar cable set up. WGN seems to be lagging behind the times. There are a couple of streaming apps none of which offer WGN, just plain WGN the channel. My girlfriend would dump Comcast except there doesn’t seem to be a way to get WGN any other way.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Might be straying too far off topic but does anyone know just what is the deal with WGN? Seems like the only way to get it is via Comcast or similar cable set up. WGN seems to be lagging behind the times. There are a couple of streaming apps none of which offer WGN, just plain WGN the channel. My girlfriend would dump Comcast except there doesn’t seem to be a way to get WGN any other way.

Your username says you're from Waukegan. You could try buying a longer range antenna for like $15-20 on Amazon and pick up the broadcast from Chicago. WGN is broadcast free on antenna, as well as all these https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/60619-chicago-il

That is what I did when I lived in the area. All the channels are HD as well. You also get CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX live which is not something you always get with Vue(depends where you live and what the regulations are).

jmilt7

Waukegan
Your username says you're from Waukegan. You could try buying a longer range antenna for like $15-20 on Amazon and pick up the broadcast from Chicago. WGN is broadcast free on antenna, as well as all these https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/60619-chicago-il

That is what I did when I lived in the area. All the channels are HD as well. You also get CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX live which is not something you always get with Vue(depends where you live and what the regulations are).

Thanks for the information. I was more talking bout the GF and she lives in Antioch and in a place that doesn't allow antennas. But how were you to know that. So, good information. Maybe I will try that some day. Thanks again.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the information. I was more talking bout the GF and she lives in Antioch and in a place that doesn't allow antennas. But how were you to know that. So, good information. Maybe I will try that some day. Thanks again.
Well the antenna aren't like ones you stick out the window. Mine just lays on the ground next to my window. Looks like this. You can even put them on the wall. https://www.amazon.com/novopal-UPDA...tenna+tv&qid=1533167995&sr=8-7&ref=mp_s_a_1_7

CAIllini

West Coast
This reads like less money for the BT:

Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast will continue to offer BTN to customers who reside in states with Big Ten schools (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin).
Xfinity customers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the Northern Virginia/Beltway area will also continue to receive the network given their proximity to Big Ten schools.
In addition, customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to BTN as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package in the coming months.

As an out of market-er I'd be worked about the "coming months" statement as well. Glad they came to a deal, but still very happy I switched...

Illini_1979

Oregon
This reads like less money for the BT:

Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast will continue to offer BTN to customers who reside in states with Big Ten schools (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin).
Xfinity customers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the Northern Virginia/Beltway area will also continue to receive the network given their proximity to Big Ten schools.
In addition, customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to BTN as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package in the coming months.

As an out of market-er I'd be worked about the "coming months" statement as well. Glad they came to a deal, but still very happy I switched...
Yeah, I'm not really sure what this means. If I subscribe to the Sports and Entertainment Package will I have BTN at the start of the season or not? :unsure:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what this means. If I subscribe to the Sports and Entertainment Package will I have BTN at the start of the season or not? :unsure:

I have the Sports and Entertainment Package so I guess I will be asking. One week away, right?

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I will be on a cruise next Saturday (at sea) so we will see how well the boat's WiFi streams the game on YouTube TV.