Cubs want to host college bowl game at Wrigley

it's in the article, but yes. the first year of the game will be 2020, and ongoing renovations to wrigley in the meantime will result in more room on the field.

If the Pinstripe is still at Yankee Stadium, that's going to make 2 bowl games no one will want to play in.

A good bowl game/ location is not defined by cold weather. Chicago and NYC provide great venues, media markets, and environments (i.e. Bowl week activities, etc.). Much better than other current locations, that while warm, lack atmosphere and fail to draw in fans. No one wants to go to Mobile, Birmingham, Shreveport, El Paso (cold here too btw).

I think Wrigley would be a great location for a bowl game. Hope the B1G gets a tie-in and drops another location. Would be a short trip for fans from most schools in the conference.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
it's in the article, but yes. the first year of the game will be 2020, and ongoing renovations to wrigley in the meantime will result in more room on the field.

I'll admit I responded before I read the story. The Cubs are dreaming IMO. Given that some of the warm weather locations aren't getting attendance, who's going to want to sit outside in Chicago for 3.5 hours to watch a couple of 6-6 teams (or worse)? They're going to have to absolutely align with 2 major conferences and hope they pull teams that travel well.

I'll admit I responded before I read the story. The Cubs are dreaming IMO. Given that some of the warm weather locations aren't getting attendance, who's going to want to sit outside in Chicago for 3.5 hours to watch a couple of 6-6 teams (or worse)? They're going to have to absolutely align with 2 major conferences and hope they pull teams that travel well.

Well, given the venue and the millions upon millions of people who live within driving/public transport distance.... I think they have a better situation than many of the warm weather locations.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
The Cubs are dreaming IMO.

People will come, Ransom.
mqdefault.jpg

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL

Duke and Indiana drew 37,000 to the Pinstripe Bowl in 2015 and Northwestern and Pitt did the same this past year. Think this would make for a good replacement of the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit which has done pretty bad attendance wise.

Obviously would have to have a B1G team in it every year. With the exception of Rutgers and Maryland, any other school would draw more in Chicago than a team that goes to the Bahamas or El Paso in terms of B1G schools. Chicago is home to a ton of B1G alums. This will always be a full bowl game. I think it would be fun to see a MAC team in it too, They are mostly Midwestern and would also draw a decent crowd. I'm not sure the commitments the MAC has with bowl games, but if their 1 or 2 tean played a 6-6 B1G team I think it would be competitive.

illinifan4249

Space Coast, FL
Most people that I know that are casual fans won't go south for a minor bowl game but would absolutely go to Chicago to see the Illini play in a bowl. I think any B1G team, sans Maryland and Rutgers, would do great here.

If there is a cold weather location that deserves a bowl I think Lambeau would be great for a bowl game.

ritster

Wheaton, IL
I'd like to see big vs sec. bring them up into the cold and see how they respond.

BINGO!!! I've always thought that myself. I would love for a warm weather team to have to play in the last week of December in Chicago. They would be dropping passes and fumbling left and right. 18-22 year old kids , that cold would get between their ears.

BINGO!!! I've always thought that myself. I would love for a warm weather team to have to play in the last week of December in Chicago. They would be dropping passes and fumbling left and right. 18-22 year old kids , that cold would get between their ears.

Chicago itself as a bowl destination also offers other significant opportunities and attractions that can make up for it. Have both teams go to a bulls game and see the aquarium or museums or something. Sears tower and Hancock tower tours. Water place mall giftcard. Laser tag at navy pier. I should be a bowl planner.