D1 Hockey at Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illini in ACHA National Championship Game 03/13/18

Our Illini are in the ACHA Division I National Championship Game tomorrow night 03/13 against the Adrian College Bulldogs. Adrian College is located in Adrian, Michigan.

The Illini were seeded 5th going into the ACHA Division 1 tournament. They beat the #1 seed Minot State tonight to advance.

The games are streaming live on YouTube. Game time tomorrow is 7:00pm central.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Having become a pretty regular follower of the Sharks this year, I'm all aboard the hockey bandwagon. Super fun, constantly exciting game to watch, at least at the pro level. Would love to have an Illini team to cheer on!

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
If it happens, can't wait to shoot Hockey.

Our Illini are in the ACHA Division I National Championship Game tomorrow night 03/13 against the Adrian College Bulldogs. Adrian College is located in Adrian, Michigan.

The Illini were seeded 5th going into the ACHA Division 1 tournament. They beat the #1 seed Minot State tonight to advance.

The games are streaming live on YouTube. Game time tomorrow is 7:00pm central.

pretty sure the game starts at 6 ct

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Im guessing no, but has any Illini hockey club player ever had any kind of decent or semi decent NHL career ?

I mean, back in the early 1980's, the club team was a club, the players were happy to still be skating, they were good, but not pro wannabees

Yea, we used to have fencing. Pretty sure it was a varsity sport.

Illinois Fencing was a national power. National champs 1956 & 1958. Discontinued in 1993. Took fencing for Phys Ed when I was a freshman.

Last edited:

Squad33

bloomington, il
Illinois Fencing was a national power. National champs 1956 & 1958. Discontinued in 1993. Took fencing for Phys Ed when I was a freshman.

Pretty sure it was discontinued after members of the fencing team broke into Memorial Stadium and burned a 40 yard hole in the middle of the turf. That was 2 weeks before we played Ohio State I think.

Pretty sure it was discontinued after members of the fencing team broke into Memorial Stadium and burned a 40 yard hole in the middle of the turf. That was 2 weeks before we played Ohio State I think.

Per wikapedia

In 1993, the varsity team was dropped as well as the men's swimming and the men's and women's diving team due to budget cuts and a few other reasons, including Title IX, which was starting to take real effect on school athletics.

I guess burning a hole in the football field would be a reason

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83

good memory. I recall that . Geez, what fools.

I distinctly also remember the UI stating they were sending the repair invoice to those kids parents. they had to fly this repair team in from somewhere and those dudes worked around the clock with the stadium lights on.

Dan

Admin
Some new looks at proposed downtown #Illini hockey arena

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...eral-funding-illinois-terminal-expansion.html

DcRrAWJWsAAjrgI.jpg:small

DcRrBJbXUAAHnP2.jpg:small

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Looks pretty cool! As for convenience, it's not too far out of the way for some of the students. My kid is at Newman Center and it's about 1.25 miles to the proposed site. SFC is about 0.8 miles from Newman Center.

And I like the fact that they are putting 2 more rinks in there as well. Would help with club hockey tourneys and youth tourneys as well.

Looks pretty cool! As for convenience, it's not too far out of the way for some of the students. My kid is at Newman Center and it's about 1.25 miles to the proposed site. SFC is about 0.8 miles from Newman Center.

And Newman is about as close to SFC as any non-freshman lives at UI.

The areas north and west of Campustown, which at least when I was a student there was where the plurality of non-freshman undergrads lived, would be very close indeed, much closer than even MS, let alone SFC. It would be a bridge between campus and downtown, which is a much more appealing prospect than it was 10-15 years ago.

And this building would be right next to the CUMTD bus terminal, so it would be accessible from all over the area.

I remain dubious on D1 hockey making financial sense for the DIA, but this development makes a ton of sense for both the city and the University.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It looks amazing and I do think having it in DT Champaign does make the most sense. My question is what do they do with the current ice arena? Would they keep it for open skating and things like intramural hockey and clubs? Convert to a different use? Tear down and use that land for something else? I'd really like to see them keep it active as an on-campus ice rink, of for nothing else other than nostalgia and the fact it's a convenient location for people that want their skating fix.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
It looks amazing and I do think having it in DT Champaign does make the most sense. My question is what do they do with the current ice arena? Would they keep it for open skating and things like intramural hockey and clubs? Convert to a different use? Tear down and use that land for something else? I'd really like to see them keep it active as an on-campus ice rink, of for nothing else other than nostalgia and the fact it's a convenient location for people that want their skating fix.

Home to the new University of Illinois Figure Skating team?

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL

They do currently use it for kinesiology classes, intramural/greek tournament broomball, and open skates and I don't think the off campus rink would be feasible for that.

They do currently use it for kinesiology classes, intramural/greek tournament broomball, and open skates and I don't think the off campus rink would be feasible for that.

I think I will still be apart of the campus rec program, mostly for classes...I would assume all the youth hockey programs would move to the new facility.

The proposed facility looks really sharp. I always enjoyed the U of I club hockey games I watched at the Ice Arena, so I'm excited about the possibility of an actual NCAA Illini hockey team.

The best part about the new facility though is that it can host quite a few other types of events (concerts, other types of sporting events, including some that the SFC can't currently host due to it's round bowl floor configuration.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
The proposed facility looks really sharp. I always enjoyed the U of I club hockey games I watched at the Ice Arena, so I'm excited about the possibility of an actual NCAA Illini hockey team.

The best part about the new facility though is that it can host quite a few other types of events (concerts, other types of sporting events, including some that the SFC can't currently host due to it's round bowl floor configuration.

Were they thinking of moving volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics over there from Huff?

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Yeah that would be part of it.

Which is a shame, Huff is great venue in a great location, especially for volleyball, but it doesn't have the modern facilities anymore and can't really be adapted to do so.

I took my daughter to our first volleyball game at Huff last fall. Match against Minny. Great atmosphere, great time.

wILL-INI

Charlotte, NC
Yeah that would be part of it.

Which is a shame, Huff is great venue in a great location, especially for volleyball, but it doesn't have the modern facilities anymore and can't really be adapted to do so.

Leaving Huff would be sad, but i get it from a recruiting standpoint. Though I think they will regret it in the long term (just like i'd bet women's hoops does). I would hope they maybe do a big games at the rink, and regular ones at huff? Best of both worlds?

breadman

Herndon, VA
Most importantly, where would the band sit? Was part of that scene back in the day. Fun times. Even got chosen to play Beat the Chief during one intermission.

Status
Not open for further replies.