D1 Hockey at Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Does adding womens hockey not make sense? Overhead would mostly be covered by the mens hocket addition too, would it not?

Don’t have numbers, but one thing’s for sure, hockey is darned expensive. If women’s hockey is the choice, it won't be because of cost.

Deleted member 4333

D
Actually, there are four: Minnesota and Wisconsin are currently ranked #1 and #2 nationally, respectively. Ohio State and Penn State are the other two. Surprisingly (to me, anyway), there are no NCAA Div. I women's hockey programs in the state of Michigan.
Bad research on my part. I looked at the Penn State schedule and saw no Big Ten teams. Assumed that meant there were no other Big Ten women's ice hockey programs.

My work time break to read Loyalty is time-limited for sure, so apologize for asking something covered in this thread: the plans for the downtown arena are still 100% on, correct? If so, I have to imagine the push for hockey will ultimately be successful.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
My work time break to read Loyalty is time-limited for sure, so apologize for asking something covered in this thread: the plans for the downtown arena are still 100% on, correct? If so, I have to imagine the push for hockey will ultimately be successful.
Everything is waiting on a announcement one way or other. I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen. As for the addition of a Women's sport, nothing official, but if I were a betting man, I would put my money on W. Lacrosse. Hopefully we will know the answer to both in a couple months.

Shane Walsh

aka "Captain Oblivious"
Cynthiana, Kentucky
One of the major players in the arena is the local Mass Transit District and they missed out on the grant money this year. Hopefully next?
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...other-federal-grant-downtown-development.html

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Another important reminder that, if hockey comes to pass, it will be the most urgent moment in the illustrious history of #TeamShield.

[runs to rooftop, blasts Shield signal into night sky]

Another important reminder that, if hockey comes to pass, it will be the most urgent moment in the illustrious history of #TeamShield.

[runs to rooftop, blasts Shield signal into night sky]
It will come to pass, shield or no shield. Seems that the major $$ people for hockey have backgrounds from other (read rival) schools.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Seems that the major $$ people for hockey have backgrounds from other (read rival) schools.

Lol, really?

That's interesting, because two things have been obvious throughout this process:

1. The DIA does not have the money to make this happen
2. A variety of very powerful and moneyed interests really, really would like for Illinois to put a college hockey team in the state and be the 8th Big Ten team, playing at this mooted downtown facility

The incentives are there for a deal to happen, strange as some of the bedfellows might be

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Either the power players in C-U know something we don't or it's entirely a coincidence. But major changes are happening now and in the near future for the East side of Downtown, just a couple blocks North of the proposed arena. Three bars have been closed, leases either bought out and one not renewed. Demo of 2/3's of the News-Gazette print building (corner of Main and Chestnut). The old "Produce Warehouse" next to (North side) Pour Brothers was bought and will be renovated into a new restaurant. The three bars that closed were 51 Main, Memphis on Main and Derailed. The owner of the building wants to fix them up and get more upscale business's in their locations. If nothing else it ads to the mystery.

Lol, really?

That's interesting, because two things have been obvious throughout this process:

1. The DIA does not have the money to make this happen
2. A variety of very powerful and moneyed interests really, really would like for Illinois to put a college hockey team in the state and be the 8th Big Ten team, playing at this mooted downtown facility

The incentives are there for a deal to happen, strange as some of the bedfellows might be
You are correct, there will be some strange bedfellows. It just takes some time to get them to pony up to what can be seen as a rival school.

As Dan and photog pointed out, there are a lot of property owners in downtown Champaign, not to mention the city itself, acting like this thing is a go.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
As Dan and photog pointed out, there are a lot of property owners in downtown Champaign, not to mention the city itself, acting like this thing is a go.

Downtown Champaign in general is a "go" and has been for awhile, hockey arena or not.

Like a lot of college towns, it's a booming community.

Dan

Admin
The University of Illinois (@Illinois_Alma @IlliniHockey) along with officials from the @NHLand @NCAAIceHockey are holding an event Tuesday, May 14 at @BigTen headquarters in Park Ridge, IL.
https://twitter.com/USCollegeHockey/

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The University of Illinois (@Illinois_Alma @IlliniHockey) along with officials from the @NHLand @NCAAIceHockey are holding an event Tuesday, May 14 at @BigTen headquarters in Park Ridge, IL.
https://twitter.com/USCollegeHockey/

Heck, yes!!! Cue the Ron Paul gif. (actually, don't)

[Tamp it down, bud] Per another source: "It's an event for donors and hockey club alumni and others to discuss how there are 85 Division I hockey players from this state and no hockey team."

So, more smoke, but not a go.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
PSU is the blueprint, funding disparity not withstanding. They've become a very good program quickly. There's absolutely no reason we shouldn't also. Our natural recruiting territories are teeming with talent. Tie-ins with the Hawks (and maybe the Blues?), along with a ton of goodwill from the hockey community can only help. Fully believe that Illinois hockey will be a smashing success.

Hopefully this comes to fruition! Good luck to you all - Illinois deserves a D1 hockey team, and new teams are always welcome (except for PSU). Excited to see another team in the midwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.