D1 Hockey at Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
The jersey alone is why this needs to happen.
ahhhh

we call those "sweaters"

from wiki:
A hockey jersey is a piece of clothing worn by ice hockey players to cover the upper part of their bodies. It is traditionally called a sweater as, in earlier days, when the game was predominantly played outside in winter, it actually was a warm wool-knit covering

get it right, eh ?

Last edited:

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
1557969561789.jpeg

oh, my lord, what I would pay to see the new D1 team come out in the very first game in Orange & Blue versions of this sweater with Chiefs on it !!!!

talk about the ultimate mic drop moment in that running story

I named my then Golden Retriever pup, in 2010, Chief , after our beloved Illiniwek. Sadly, my Chief was diagnosed with stage IV lymphoma in mid March and lasted 17 days before we had to do the right thing. I miss him more than The Chief, but I miss both ALOT. There will never be another Chief Illiniwek, and there will never be another Chief, who was the nicest and most gentle dog God ever created.

Last edited:

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

Over and over again, "if only we had the money, if only we had the money".

Which isn't to say this is pointless, these are public pleas for the money, and not just from U of I donors. The Big Ten, the NHL, the Blackhawks, the City of Champaign, the State of Illinois, someone, all of the above, please invest some startup capital in making this obviously good idea happen.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Over and over again, "if only we had the money, if only we had the money".

Which isn't to say this is pointless, these are public pleas for the money, and not just from U of I donors. The Big Ten, the NHL, the Blackhawks, the City of Champaign, the State of Illinois, someone, all of the above, please invest some startup capital in making this obviously good idea happen.

Sadly, we don't have an NHL owner/alumnus as a mega-donor (Khan should've played ice hockey, lol). So, we have to plead. Sounds like there's been significant progress. Hopefully, just a matter of time. Sure sounds like it.

Konnie

Western Suburbs
It has been almost 3 months since there has been any activity in this thread. I am starting to think D1 hockey is not going to happen in the near future. Consequently, I hope the Olympic sports and volleyball facilities are upgraded as needed.

IlliniwekKDR

Colorado Springs, CO
I'll be on the edge of my seat until this is official. I like rooting for the local squad here at Colorado College, but I want to finally be able to cheer on my alma mater!

Shief

Champaign Area
I'm happy to see this news. I already brought up the idea of an unofficial traveling trophy between UI and a non-B1G team, when they play.

I'm happy to see this news. I already brought up the idea of an unofficial traveling trophy between UI and a non-B1G team, when they play.
Let it be ASU!!! Lots of Illini here in the great Copper State!!!

illini80

Forgottonia
"On the hockey project, Whitman said the athletics department and its community partners decided to halt those discussions when the pandemic hit and just started to re-open discussions about the expensive project, which he said they were very close to green-lighting before the pandemic."
https://247sports.com/college/illin...ketball-Illini-hockey-166631767/#166631767_10
I don’t remember the exact quote from Werner, but his impression was it’s not on the front burner anymore. Probably from this quote: “Whitman said he feels obligated to figure out if the project is still feasible after the pandemic but not obligated to complete the project”

Status
Not open for further replies.