D1 Hockey at Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Interest would be off the charts.

+1

I believe it would instantly be one of the hottest tickets in town.

I really think this has traction and will only gain support.

I'm already Jones'ing for my first Illini hockey sweater!!!! :chief::illinois:

Deleted member 649710

D
By the way, the BIG GLARING HOLE in the report is that it runs pro formas for a men's team but doesn't say a word about the women's program that would need to be established to meet Title IX requirements. Expenses for that would be close to the same, but revenues way less. This is a major issue.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
By the way, the BIG GLARING HOLE in the report is that it runs pro formas for a men's team but doesn't say a word about the women's program that would need to be established to meet Title IX requirements. Expenses for that would be close to the same, but revenues way less. This is a major issue.

There would have to be A women's sport added. There is nothing saying that it would have to be women's hockey, though.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
It probably doesn't carry over nearly as much, but I enjoyed the he!! out of the US Women's Hockey team and their gold medal march this year!
They are badass!

ILL in IA

Iowa City
There would have to be A women's sport added. There is nothing saying that it would have to be women's hockey, though.

You could also remove a different men's sport. Not the fun way to look at this, but that fits as well.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
So I'm counting 11 women's sports and 10 men's sports offered currently. Doesn't that mean adding men's hockey keeps it still even?

So I'm counting 11 women's sports and 10 men's sports offered currently. Doesn't that mean adding men's hockey keeps it still even?

The rules try to make it be an even number of athletes on scholarship. It is not the number of programs. Football skews everything heavily towards male athletes.

ILL in IA

Iowa City

I believe its number of scholarships, not sports. So with football scholly count being so high, that's why women have the extra team.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I believe its number of scholarships, not sports. So with football scholly count being so high, that's why women have the extra team.

It's # of schollies. Football skews the balance. Not only are there typically more women's teams, but the # of schollies allotted to women's sports is typically higher than their men's counterpart (if there is one).

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
It's # of schollies. Football skews the balance. Not only are there typically more women's teams, but the # of schollies allotted to women's sports is typically higher than their men's counterpart (if there is one).

Copy that.

This is true. It's just on the outskirts of campus. I could see them not wanting to sell to students though. But who knows.

The building will be owned by a private party and I'm sure all concessions/ operations will be handled by a private party and the Illinois Hockey team will just be tenants.

Dollars to donuts beer will be sold at Hockey games. I'm sure if they hold HS or lower level events there alcohol won't be sold, but I'd guarantee they'd sell beer at college events. In fact, I haven't been to a college event off campus where you can't buy beer (Bradley bb, Northwestern this year at Allstate, Bragging Rights, etc.)

BZuppke

Plainfield
Swimming was dropped due to Title IX. RG felt it was better to save money and cut rather than spend and expand. Go figure.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Swimming was dropped due to Title IX. RG felt it was better to save money and cut rather than spend and expand. Go figure.

Im no fan of Guenther, but mens swimming was dropped in like 1980 or 1981, so that was Neale Stoner who did that. Title IX took effect like in 1980 and for whatever reasons, swimming and fencing were cut .

Yea, we used to have fencing. Pretty sure it was a varsity sport.

Deleted member 649710

D

True. But DIA would need to add a similar number of scholarships. And that team would have to hire coaches and probably travel an amount similar to a hockey squad. So, yes, theoretically the school could add women's lacrosse or field hockey, but the cost would not be hugely less.

P.S. Illinois dropped fencing and men's swimming in 1993, under Ron Guenther.

I went to a hockey game at Miami Ohio a few weeks ago, and their arena is gorgeous. 2 sheets, 3,600+ seats, built in 2006 for less than $35 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goggin_Ice_Center

http://www.miamiredhawks.com/facilities/mioh-goggin-ice-arena.html

17_somer-hockey-game.jpg

mioh-goggin-ice-arena.html

This is our baseline for a hockey arena.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I went to a hockey game at Miami Ohio a few weeks ago, and their arena is gorgeous. 2 sheets, 3,600+ seats, built in 2006 for less than $35 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goggin_Ice_Center

http://www.miamiredhawks.com/facilities/mioh-goggin-ice-arena.html

17_somer-hockey-game.jpg

mioh-goggin-ice-arena.html

This is our baseline for a hockey arena.

Beautiful arena. Think it's going to have to be bigger though. 5000 capacity, minimum? 7500? And the cost will be high. I have no issue with a privately owned facility and simply being a tenant. We'll be able to get this hockey thing going a heck of a lot quicker.

I think D1 Hockey will be a real possibility at Iowa too (just one more Iowa team for me to hate). We have a new arena coming to the Iowa City area. Basically what everyone is thinking will happen with CU off-campus arena.

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-hockey-new-arena-coralville

Chance knows more about hockey than everyone in that state combined.

Also would this be just another sport where the best athletes in the state leave to play elsewhere?

Also don't forget most college hockey players are quite a bit older than their classmates, they usually play juniors somewhere before going to college hockey.

example:
Sam Saliba
Class:
Sophomore
Hometown:
Lincolnshire, Ill.
Height / Weight:
5-11 / 178
Position:
F
Birthdate:
10/09/1995
Last Team:
Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/sam_saliba_1026942.html

He is a 22* year old sophomore. He will make Tracey Abrams look young by the time he graduates.

Last edited:
There are junior teams feeding players into colleges in Springfield, Peoria, Bloomington, and Decatur. U of I’s location will have to be a major plus.

There are junior teams feeding players into colleges in Springfield, Peoria, Bloomington, and Decatur. U of I’s location will have to be a major plus.

its my experience with hockey that outside of Minnesota there is not much state allegiance.

Players in those jr. programs are there so they can make it to the NHL not NCAA. NCAA is a backup plan for most.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Roughly 30% of NHL players played NCAA hockey. That percentage has increased considerably over the past 25 years. D1 hockey is viewed as viable path to the league by NHL teams and prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.