Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMetroid

Evanston
NIce.

giphy.gif

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
any recent discussion that I have missed as to whether UI has announced what womens program they are going to offer to offset the mens scholarship's in Hockey?

I still think they start girls LAX. Its less expensive to operate LAX than hockey, even if the rink is already paid for, and in our instance, we wont own the rink .
There seems to be a stronger B1G presence in womens LAX than hockey, and I would think the B1G would favor LAX.

Shief

Champaign Area
South Farms, things have been pretty quiet.

I agree with you that women's lacrosse would be a good offset to men's hockey. If we then add men's lacrosse one day, maybe go with women's hockey or field hockey.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Still no official announcement, but if you watched Josh's "Thank You" video he gives a pretty tease for Hockey fans.

Deleted member 4333

D
Would hockey be considered a revenue sport?

Shief

Champaign Area
rbachhuber, I think Joel is correct. I've heard minor gain to revenue neutral.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
the B1G office is one of a few organizations pushing for UI and other B1G schools to start hockey.
I'm unaware of there being financial incentives for the league to do this with revenue sharing, or are there ways that schools with sports that attract eyeballs to TV sets get more money from the B1G Network than schools that don't ?

College hockey will never be in a revenue strata like football or basketball, but I can easily see it being far more attractive to TV than any other sport , male or female, currently out there. In that respect, the B1G Network is and should be, working that angle.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
the B1G office is one of a few organizations pushing for UI and other B1G schools to start hockey.
I'm unaware of there being financial incentives for the league to do this with revenue sharing, or are there ways that schools with sports that attract eyeballs to TV sets get more money from the B1G Network than schools that don't ?

College hockey will never be in a revenue strata like football or basketball, but I can easily see it being far more attractive to TV than any other sport , male or female, currently out there. In that respect, the B1G Network is and should be, working that angle.

Totally agree with this. The Big Ten has a huge incentive for Illinois to take this plunge, but it's a questionable financial decision on our end. There ought to be room for a deal here.

Deleted member 4333

D
Does Illinois still have club hockey? I remember going to games at the ice rink back in the 70's. Big fun.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Does Illinois still have club hockey? I remember going to games at the ice rink back in the 70's. Big fun.
Yes indeed. Very popular. They made the ACHA league national championship game last year, but lost. Still, not bad. They've always been very good as long as I can remember. Well before I started attending games in the late 90s.

Illinois' club hockey team always seems to be at or exceeding the listed capacity of the current ice arena, which is 1,200. Which means Illinois' club hockey team outdrew 8 D1 hockey programs on a per game basis according to the last figures I could find (2016-2017). Double that figure with a new arena that is easier to get to for non-students and presumably has more talented hockey players, and Illinois would be in the dead middle of D1 hockey attendance nationally.

It all seems very doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.