Darta Lee, Zarrian Holcombe, Howard Watkins off the team

After a quiet off-season so far, I guess we'll get a jump in Fulmer Cup points now.

Lovie issued a statement today saying as such. I imagine those 2 are certainly gone.

That's my initial reaction as well. If what is in the press ends up being the truth of it I'd hazard a guess at those two getting kicked off and Hojo suspended for the season.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
Give 'em due process, though it doesn't seem very likely this is a case of mistaken identity. 6'4" 300 lb guys tend to stand out.

Idiots. Hopefully they learn from it and correct themselves rather than go further down the road of crime.

FT35

Naperville
Holcombe was the prize recruit of Cubit's recruiting class and now he is more than likely gone. What a waste of talent.

There's always the chance that these guys may not be guilty, and are being falsely accused. So being arrested by itself is a conviction. I think we have to, as they say, let it play out. I think that's all that the athletic department should say right now.

You're right, the criminal process will play out. I'm just tired of seeing my alma mater's proud name dragged through the mud. Its really not that hard to stay out of bad situations. Most of us make it through life without being falsely accused of a felony. Start tossing these idiots out in the street and set an example for the rest to follow.

FT35

Naperville
There are 85 scholarship players on a football team. This is unfortunately going to happen. It's hard enough to evaluate the football talents of a recruit, target the players you want and then land them. Sometimes you just have to play the numbers game to fill out a class. Getting serious one on one time with them, interviewing everyone close to them, etc. is just not possible given the high amount of scholarships that have to be extended.

I'm really surprised that Watkins was part of this though since he has barely been on campus and seemed to be a high character kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovie needs to send a strong message that this will not be tolerated. Unfortunately, a life changing decision by these young men, and not for the good.

EJ33

San Francisco
This "robbery" is like a scene out of Bottle Rocket.

Interesting that nobody has mentioned the poor kid that got robbed at gunpoint (he didn't know it was fake) by three hulking football players in what should be a really safe building. That's just outrageous. They don't need a conviction to kick these guys out of school, so I think we can safely assume they are all gone.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
This "robbery" is like a scene out of Bottle Rocket

giphy.gif

So, in addition to the stupidity mentioned previously, knowing the victim, taking off the mask etc, these guys STILL had a chance to call it off by saying, "yea, it was a joke, you got me dude. . . " but , no, they (allegedly) went ahead with the robbery anyway.

Unbelievable on so many levels.

be careful what you wish for

I was just thinking yesterday, "Man. I wish we'd get some news on the football program."

Nope.

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL
Well if it wasn't already, the Lovie Smith honeymoon period is over. The last thing we were supposed to worry about was player discipline and conduct, and if the allegations hold up, this is really bad.

You can't prevent players from being stupid. What you can do is have zero tolerance for this stupidity. That's really your only recourse.

FT35

Naperville
Well if it wasn't already, the Lovie Smith honeymoon period is over. The last thing we were supposed to worry about was player discipline and conduct, and if the allegations hold up, this is really bad.

Lovie should be judged on the response and not the actions of these kids. One of the players is "his" recruit but he's not a babysitter.

These guys should be kicked off the team much like Ellis and McPhearson were 10+ years ago.

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.

Jesus Christ. It's been one season and I don't even consider that because he was hired in the spring. The things posted on this board are so unbelievable sometimes I want to smack my head on the wall.

And how is this Lovie's fault?

Lovie should be judged on the response and not the actions of these kids. One of the players is "his" recruit but he's not a babysitter.

These guys should be kicked off the team much like Ellis and McPhearson were 10+ years ago.

10 years ago is crazy to believe. Ellis was in a speech comm class I took spring semester senior year. It was the only class I had with a football or basketball player in four years. McPhearson actually showed up with him one day. It was super awkward considering there only 25 people in the class, and they were a little disruptive. McPhearson didn't leave a good impression. It was right before they got arrested, maybe the week of their arrest, I can't remember. After the arrest, Ellis was gone, and the class was much calmer after that. I don't think he was a bad guy, but he was an idiot.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Interesting article says that when one of them knew they were made and pulled off his mask, also announced that it was a prank. The other two weren't particularly quick on the uptake. Curious to see where this will go.

Will any one of the three--perhaps the one who called it a prank--throw the other two under the bus, saying he didn't that the other two were seriously going to rob the "victim." Who knows, maybe he did think it was a prank. Pranks are all over TV, aren't they?

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Interesting article says that when one of them knew they were made and pulled off his mask, also announced that it was a prank. The other two weren't particularly quick on the uptake. Curious to see where this will go.

Will any one of the three--perhaps the one who called it a prank--throw the other two under the bus, saying he didn't that the other two were seriously going to rob the "victim." Who knows, maybe he did think it was a prank. Pranks are all over TV, aren't they?

If I were him, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. May not convince anyone, but there's a lot at stake here, I'd be running with that angle.

Stupid on so many levels. Typically there are cameras in the hallways of some Dorms. I don't know if this was the case in Bromley, but I think it's likely.

Also, these guys will be lucky to stay out of jail let alone remain on the team.

Oskee67

Champaign
And how is this Lovie's fault?

As the leader of the program, by default he is responsible for everyone's actions. Even if you don't buy into that, the negative publicity and perception this incident creates damages and embarrasses the program. That is Lovie's problem to fix now- which is why I said the honeymoon phase is over.

Illinois football doesn't have much of anything going for it- except the Lovie Smith brand: player's coach, respected by everyone, great mentor and teacher, etc. If that image is compromised, this whole thing falls apart before it can get any legs to stand on. This will probably not put a knife through the heart of the program, but the ice just got a little thinner...

Last edited:

icengineer

Southern Illinois
As the leader of the program, by default he is responsible for everyone's actions. Even if you don't buy into that, the negative publicity and perception this incident creates damages and embarrasses the program. That is Lovie's problem to fix now- which is why I said the honeymoon phase is over.

Illinois football doesn't have much of anything going for it- except the Lovie Smith brand: player's coach, respected by everyone, great mentor and teacher, etc. If that image is compromised, this whole thing falls apart before it can get any legs to stand on. This will probably not put a knife through the heart of the program, but the ice just got a little thinner...

I think you are over-reacting to the effect this will have on Lovie. He has a lot of years in the NFL where he's developed a reputation of being about as clean and upstanding as they come. I don't think 3 idiots pulling a bonehead move like this is going to tarnish that. If we were 4-5 years in and all three of these guys were Lovie recruits, maybe you worry a bit. Now? I don't think there is any 'thin ice' to speak of. It's unfortunate but you can't pin this one on Lovie or the staff.

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
unbelievably stupid, yes, but (side note) D1 NCAA football players should not be so poor as to need to rob anyone for some cash.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Reading "Bromley Hall" made me think of something that happened, I believe, in the spring of 1968. It was Little Sisters Weekend, and my girlfriend and I both had invited our younger female sib. It also turned out that a new pizza delivery outfit was giving away free pizzas on Saturday night for all of htose lucky enough to get in an order as a way to publicize their new service.

So of course we ordered a pizza and waited for it, and waited and waited, until we had to give up and head off for the Johnny Cash concert at the Assembly Hall. The Man in Black. In the round. It was a super show, but we were famished, not getting any food until about 10:00.

It didn't take long for us to find out that it was a prank. Um, actually a bad idea, guys. You used your dorm room phones. In Bromley Hall. So at odd times, whether afternoon coming home from class or in late at night, I would call to find out whether I could order a pizza. I still had the flyer, and...

Usually the phone was picked up and slammed down. I'm not sure how long that went on, but finally the phone numbers were disconnected. It was then that we started talking with our friends and people in class and we discovered that Pizza Town had developed quite a following.

And that's a prank, and how a prank can blow back on you. And no one used a gun, fake or otherwise.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
I don't get it Illiini. What was the prank? Can't be they used the numbers to call to see if anyone was in so they'd know when to rob the place. I never stayed in a dorm in 1968 but I'd bet anything they didn't have phones in the rooms. Most likely one per floor or one in the lounge area.

Enlighten me/us. What are you saying exactly?