Demirjian Park: New soccer and track and field facilities

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Wow. That looks really great! Can't really tell from the renderings (maybe it's a dumb question) but I assume there will be stands attached to the main building facing the track, as well?

The diving platform between the soccer fields looks a bit far from the water. /s

It might be cool to do all that elaborate metal framing around the main building in blue.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
I don't think I've ever seen an interior of a track actually made for field events before. That's cool looking.

Wow. That looks really great! Can't really tell from the renderings (maybe it's a dumb question) but I assume there will be stands attached to the main building facing the track, as well?

That is correct.

That is correct.
Possible future big track events? I was at Memorial Stadium in 1977 and 1979 for the NCAA championships, great atmosphere and great competition.

Last edited:
Possible future big track events? I was at Memorial Stadium in 1977 and 1979 for the NCAA championships, great atmosphere and great competition.
Yep, I remember that well. Great crowds and fan support; I was bummed when they removed the track from MS. Doesn't seem that long ago that we built the current baseball and track facilities, but I guess it was back in the 80's. Anyone else remember the old Illini baseball stadium? If I remember right it was on the north end of campus

Yep, I remember that well. Great crowds and fan support; I was bummed when they removed the track from MS. Doesn't seem that long ago that we built the current baseball and track facilities, but I guess it was back in the 80's. Anyone else remember the old Illini baseball stadium? If I remember right it was on the north end of campus
Yep, walked past it every day from my apartment to campus. It was off fifth street, I think Beckman institute is there now.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Yes, the start finish line will move over to that side as well.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Another benefit of this project, with all of the coaches offices being moved and the Soccer teams locker room from from Bielfeldt, that will open up more space at Bielfeldt. Currently they are busting at the seams.

Stevegarbs

Mokena, IL
Yep, walked past it every day from my apartment to campus. It was off fifth street, I think Beckman institute is there now.

It was right where Beckman Institute is now. Had an apartment on Wright Street just south of University '86 to '87 and could walk across Wright to the baseball field for games. #goodtimes #oldtimer