Dusty Baker - nice guy. But it's time for a change.

Dismember
LA, LA, big city and dreams.
I can't stand it.

The Cubs now have their second 7-game losing streak of the season, and have scored a grand total of 1 run in the last 3 games.

I understand there are always bumps in the road, but I watched today's game, and everyone on the team seemed so lethargic and unmotivated. When the score was 1-0 in the 4th inning, the Cub players looked like they were already beaten. That's inexcusable, and it's the manager's fault.

It's time to fire Dusty Baker. He's a nice guy, but I think he's lost a little too much in his managerial career to have the fire necessary to do the job correctly or even adequately.

I could site dozens of strategic mistakes he's made this season alone, but the losing record speaks for itself. The Cubs need a change, and it starts at the top. 40-43, and the season is over if the staff stays the same.

Illini Foot Soldier
I'm 50/50 with you on this. In a way I kind of feel how Ron Guenther felt when it came time to fire Ron Turner. You look at a manager like Dusty, so much experience, so much knowledge, and was a huge part of the playoff run that the Cubs made in 2003 and you say 'How can you think of even thinking about firing this guy :confused: '. But then this season, these last couple weeks and days have been pathetic. I didn't see today's game but seriously, what exactly is the issue Dusty?

I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but I'm getting closer. Something has to change because there is no good reason why this team should be losing so badly. We finally get our pitchers back and we can't score more than 1 run in the last couple games? Has anyone heard of run support? We can't get men on base when the our one run producer is hot? I always complained that Patterson only hits home runs when there was no one on base and I always blamed it on Patterson; maybe its Dusty's fault because he isn't putting the runnings in position where RBI's are more plausible.

If things don't change, its going to be a long second half.

Dismember
Great call on this being like the Turner situation (I love Baker for the 'O3 run. awesome season). But it feels like the best is over and has no hope of returning. You wonder if there was ever a touch to lose, know what I mean?

Anywho...I just watched the tape of the 9-4 loss tonight (was out, had to VCR it). Wow. I'm actually without feeling about things (all angered out I guess). This was so much worse than just an 8th loss in a row. And it's perfect that Patterson struck out swinging to end the game.

I realize Hendry is to blame with the relief pithing situation, but there is zero motivation on this team, and that's Baker's fault. How can a group that just got Wood & Prior back healthy not be fired up at least a little (especially with how Lee was batting!)? The Rockies are better than us right now.

And only Aramis Ramirez is hitting (3 of the 4 rbi's tonight). Every other player is slumping besides Hollandsworth. Add in the pitchers, and that's about 90% of the team who seems like they're just waiting around for someone else to fix the situation. It's up to the manager to wake his players up, and get them to expect victory.

It seems to me like Baker is convinced that the only right way to run things is in a hands-off manner (which is the opposite of managing). It's like he doesn't want to disrespect a "fellow ballplayer" by telling him what in the hell to do or what in the hell he's doing wrong. That's why LaRussa or Cox or Jack McKeon are good managers. They're grumpy old Dads who yell at the youngsters. Baker is too cool to get on players, b/c they're his boys or something.

I like Dusty, I do. But he's ineffective.
---------------------------------------

p.s. -- Just found this. It's a start.
2 new faces = Better than the old ones.

Last edited:
Here it is August 4, and nothing has changed. The team is playing without energy. They are generating little offense, making mental errors and just not playing fundamental baseball. That's management's fault, period. Dusty's methods may have worked in SF, but they're not working here. I think this team needs an in-your-face manager. I've been loyally following the Cubs since 1968, and this saddens me. Where's Leo Durocher when you need him?

Dismember
I'm glad someone else posted today about this b/c i was burning up about Baker after the loss.

Yeah...it's the lack of energy that really gets me. We look bored out there, and nobody shows any "let's go now!"-type emotion. It should start from the top with Baker. Ozzie Guien looks ready to fight all the time in his dugout. All you see is baker politely clapping sometimes, high-fiving his boys gently after a nice play, and bitching about strike zone calls only like a sore loser. BOOOOOOORING!

This is just wishful thinking...but can we get Baker out and put Bob Brenley in? That guy's got a World Series ring. He'd be perfect for the position. And having to watch Baker make mistakes every other day has probably got Brenley fired up to show how much difference a good manager makes. Brenley in '06!!!

Oh...and it's even worse to see Houston has the damn Wild Card lead. Let's go, Cubs!!! WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Brenley is certainly a thought. He's seen enough of this team to have an idea of what's needed, I believe. Another thought might be to look at a younger manager, perhaps a rookie manager. Maybe someone like Joe Girardi? He's intelligent, articulate, and enthusiastic. My understanding is he wants to manage and is looking for the right opportunity. Any thoughts?

Shaun "The Bull" Pruitt
The FAR west side of Chicago
I'm actually a White Sox fan, but by all accounts i've read and heard, if Dusty were to get the ax, the leading candidate to replace him would be Grady Little, who already works in the Cubs organization.

Illini Foot Soldier
In case you missed it, the Cubs season pretty much ended after losing a 3 game series at Colorado putting us back to 6.5 for the Wild Card, having to jump over 6 teams, including the entire NL East . . . shoot me now.