Eastern Michigan 34, Illinois 31 POSTGAME

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that, but we needed an extra tight end and/or back to stay in and help block. If that happened I wasn’t seeing it.

Thats fair, Rod needs to understand what is transpiring on the field and make adjustments to that. That’s a solid, fair point although I still see it another way personally. The OL is SUPPOSED to be the strength of this team. If you can’t trust the strength of your team, who can you trust?

I don’t disagree with that, what I’m saying is that EMU actually didn’t do much different schematically. The blitz combinations they went with today don’t look any different to me because, we’ll, they’re not. As it relates to the pressure (That’s what I’m looking at specifically in the context of this argument) the issue wasn’t schematics necessarily. It was poor individual play from the kids in a lot spots, both on our defense and our OL. Defensively speaking, if Betiku isn’t getting to the QB we essentially don’t get there at all. We need guys to step up and make plays.

What we really need is for Quan Martin to step up. That kid got torched today.
I’m not talking schematics, I’m talking about overall play. If sending LBs into line wasn’t working then stop. Beat us two different ways. Betiku was doubled, which should be expected yet we had nobody else step up. Very poor react oriented defense that gets you nowhere.

I’m not talking schematics, I’m talking about overall play. If sending LBs into line wasn’t working then stop. Beat us two different ways. Betiku was doubled, which should be expected yet we had nobody else step up. Very poor react oriented defense that gets you nowhere.

That’s fair but again, why isn’t it working? And why is it working for the other team on the field? We need to start having that conversation too. It’s very clear that Lovie as a Defensive Coordinator is only one part of our problem right now.

Betiku actually wasn’t doubled as much as you might think. He got one on one on the outside a number of times. And when he is chipped by a TE or a back, that means we have one on ones everywhere else along the defensive front. Why aren’t those players winning those one on one battles? Why did a MAC team come into our stadium and win those battles? We need to start having this conversation.

Deleted member 656517

D
This season will turn around if we go with IW. I still believe this a bowl capable team, and I guess since we lost to EMU that’s supposed to mean we don’t have a chance...? Peters is a detriment to Rods offense, and if you fix that we’ll score more points

illini80

Forgottonia
That’s fair but again, why isn’t it working? And why is it working for the other team on the field? We need to start having that conversation too. It’s very clear that Lovie as a Defensive Coordinator is only one part of our problem right now.

Betiku actually wasn’t doubled as much as you might think. He got one on one on the outside a number of times. And when he is chipped by a TE or a back, that means we have one on ones everywhere else along the defensive front. Why aren’t those players winning those one on one battles? Why did a MAC team come into our stadium and win those battles? We need to start having this conversation.
That’s really my biggest concern. We had better athletes at nearly every position, yet we were getting beat at nearly every position.

Recipe for Illinois Football Success:

Leave the Big Ten
Join the MAC
After 5 years, if Illinois has a winning season , then rejoin the Big Ten...if there is no winning season, continue in the MAC until a Winning season
Rejoin the Big Ten

You naysayers were just waiting with baited breath for this. EMU has bowled 2 years running and will again. Sure, let’s start over and then trash the next HC because that’s what you do best.

illini80

Forgottonia
This season will turn around if we go with IW. I still believe this a bowl capable team, and I guess since we lost to EMU that’s supposed to mean we don’t have a chance...? Peters is a detriment to Rods offense, and if you fix that we’ll score more points
Wish I believed it’s that simple. I was hoping to see him for a series or two, but if he goes out and gets hammered relentlessly it may hurt his development more than it helps. Some of it was his own fault, but Peters took a beating today.

"Lovie: I look at the total body of work after a nonconference schedule. We're 2-1. We didn't play our best ball today. There's enough positive things, bright spots, to build on. ... A 2-1 team says you've done some good things. Where do you go from here?"

He seems content. I guess we all have different expectations than he/the staff in year 4....

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
We had better athletes at nearly every position, yet we were getting beat at nearly every position.

Bingo. There's losing because of bad luck, mistakes, costly timing of big plays, whatever, and then there's just getting outplayed, and we got straight up outplayed out there with a much better roster.

illini80

Forgottonia
You naysayers were just waiting with baited breath for this. EMU has bowled 2 years running and will again. Sure, let’s start over and then trash the next HC because that’s what you do best.
I don’t think that’s the case at all for the majority. I’d like to hear what you see that makes you feel we are on the right path.

That’s really my biggest concern. We had better athletes at nearly every position, yet we were getting beat at nearly every position.

That’s what we need to start digging into. I mean, sort of, ya know? The season is over and so too may be the Lovie Smith era but as fans of the good guys this is something we need to start digging into. Why are we not winning when it’s your guy lined up against our guy?

Some of that obviously is coaching. And some of it is not. My fear today is that we’re blanket blaming Lovie Smith for everything which gives the illusion that if Lovie is gone, our problems will be solved. That clearly would not be the case.

Deleted member 656517

D
I still believe Lovie’s the guy for the job. He’s a good bearded face and manager for the program. With that being said his managing skills took a hit when he didn’t hire a dc

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

Well, I am far from "you naysayers", but after watching this game...against a MAC team.....I suggest you take a look at the Iowa, PSU, and Purdue games from last year and put your seat belt on....securely.

Just Terrible.
Year 4 and Lovie puts D on the field that plays like that is unacceptable. Don’t care how many injuries/excuses can be derived. A B1G team at home should have been able to care of business with backups.
Time for Lovie and his stoic passive demeanor to enter retirement.

I still believe Lovie’s the guy for the job. He’s a good bearded face and manager for the program. With that being said his managing skills took a hit when he didn’t hire a dc

A new defensive coordinator doesn’t fix the debacle that was the end of the 2nd quarter. That was unspeakably atrocious.

Deleted member 656517

D
We lost that game because qb play plain and simple. Yes there were mistakes outside of Peters, but we’re trying to be an offense we’re not with him at the helm

LetItBurn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.