Eastern Michigan 34, Illinois 31 POSTGAME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree. They can’t stop anybody. Offense tied the game - as poorly as o line played. Bad pass defense and stupid penalties in all 3 games. Half way decent competition showed us all what we feared was the case - another lost season.

Eastern Michigan was no cupcake. But i shutter to think was a bigger, stronger and quicker team is going to do to our secondary. The s______ do not run through the goose much faster than it did on that final drive. Pathetic!.

Okay, I’ve cooled down a bit. Took the family to Jupiter’s for a little relaxation and stress relief and am more myself again.

Like a lot of people have said, the teams play really does fall on the coaches (whether is Lovie or any of the other coaches). That said, there is a LOT of talent on this team. Peters does some dumb things, but holy &$!@ does he also make some hella good plays we haven’t seen here in a long time. We just need to find out what the heck we’ve gotta do to make the offense more consistent.

On the defense... oh boy.... I wish Lovie would change the scheme. It’s not working with the current players we have (and may never work regardless of players). We have real talent on that side of the ball too, but if we don’t get it figured out soon... as in like the end of their next practice... it’s gonna only get uglier.

I don’t see 4 more wins this year based on the first three, but I do think the talent is here to capitalize in close games. Rutgers SHOULD be a gummy, and some the other teams we play have had less than stellar starts.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, but we are certainly taking our sweet time getting through the tunnel...

Before the season started i thought the offense could put some points up with Corbin back and a strong O-line (not what i expected yet) Receivers are playing better than last year,also. But even with a another year of experience I thought the D had a lot of ground to make-up. This team gave up huge amounts of yards and lots of points last season. So, i guess my point is I didn't think the D could make that big a turn around in one season. Thought Illini would win 4-5 games but that included a win, today.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
This defense couldn't handle a middle of the road (maybe) MAC team. This is the most pessimistic I've been about Illini football since about game 9 of 2011.

It’s sad when all fans want in a football team is 6-6 and a bowl bid and we can’t even get that. This is absolutely pathetic, we sit close to Chicago and STL, no way we shouldn’t be going 6-6 to 8-4 every year...
Strongly agree!!!!!

You mean that HVAC Contractor looking guy?

One and the same.

People talk about the challenges that come with our job but Eastern Michigan almost shuttered their program. They play pay games just to keep the lights on in Ypsilanti and yet Chris Creighton beats a Big Ten team on the road and goes to a bowl game with subpar talent seemingly every year nowadays. I think our conversation should start right there.

One and the same.

People talk about the challenges that come with our job but Eastern Michigan almost shuttered their program. They play pay games just to keep the lights on in Ypsilanti and yet Chris Creighton beats a Big Ten team on the road and goes to a bowl game with subpar talent seemingly every year nowadays. I think our conversation should start right there.

Eastern Michigan has been to 3 bowl games in its history. He’s taken them to 2 of them. They’d had 1 winning season in 24 years when he took them over.

You naysayers were just waiting with baited breath for this. EMU has bowled 2 years running and will again. Sure, let’s start over and then trash the next HC because that’s what you do best.

Agree. The last thing Illinois needs right now is another rebuild. Continue to build off the transfers and recruiting class. All transfers have elgibility minus Petibone next year. We at minimum have D1 players and experience at all positions.

We haven't had talent and athletes in years, we also don't know how to win. EMU has bowled the last two years. We are a collection of talented transfers who didn't have success at their last program and a bunch of developing players who all they know is losing.

The key injuries have hurt us.

This is the loss that got me, I am out til a new coach I think.
Is it telling that some of the best play so far this season has come from athletes that have been coached (and developed) by some other coach and program?
We have had some tough injuries to be sure but all teams have injuries. We have depth problems.

Agree. The last thing Illinois needs right now is another rebuild. Continue to build off the transfers and recruiting class. All transfers have elgibility minus Petibone next year. We at minimum have D1 players and experience at all positions.

We haven't had talent and athletes in years, we also don't know how to win. EMU has bowled the last two years. We are a collection of talented transfers who didn't have success at their last program and a bunch of developing players who all they know is losing.

The key injuries have hurt us.
No rebuild has happened here.

Eastern Michigan has been to 3 bowl games in its history. He’s taken them to 2 of them. They’d had 1 winning season in 24 years when he took them over.

Their practice facility, if you can call it that, is an eye sore and their locker room is essentially a concrete box. They’ve got some new facility there now but I remember reading this summer that they still didn’t have the full funding for it. That place is unattractive as it gets in FBS ball. They attract little talent, 123rd ranked recruiting class in 2019 with only a couple kids I would have taken on our roster yet they accomplish what they accomplish. I think Chris Creighton should be a legitimate candidate for this program.

Horrendous clock management, a known characteristic of our coach before he was hired, cost us points at the end of the half.
(Plus he hired his kid)

I am unsure what the argument would be to keep this coach.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
People talk about the challenges that come with our job but Eastern Michigan almost shuttered their program.

Thing is, perhaps that's an even greater challenge, but I think it's a pretty *different* challenge.

Illinois is big time football, big time facilities, big time attention, and indeed quite a number of big time players. Sure we've got a losing culture baked into the roster and bad brand on the recruiting trail, but is Creighton's distinctly small-time background and affect the way to change that?

I'm not saying the answer is definitively no. But like, Creighton's a career lower division guy, he's got his coaches wearing mock work shirts with name tags, putting diamondplate accents on the uniforms, there's a gym-teachery whiff about him that I'm not sure fits in the Big Ten in the same way it does with a dead little program at a dead little school in a dead little town.

Schools with the highest paying Head coach salary.
In order:

Alabama
Ohio State
Michigan
Texas A&M
Auburn
Georgia
Clemson
Florida
Texas
Florida State
Nebraska
Illinois

Which one of those 12 teams doesn't belong?

also, out of the last 27 years, 21 national championships have been won by a team listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.