EIU 80, Illinois 67 (Exhibition) POSTGAME

Dan

Admin
[youtube]39BlXQnZEmo[/youtube]
[YOUTUBE]QFm9JoTvXtc[/YOUTUBE]

orange-koolaid-02.jpg

Last edited:
Step back from the ledge, gentlemen. Sure, we would have rather won, but I didn't see any kinks in this game that can't be straightened with practice and discipline. We get the parts in place, and this team is gonna be good - we've got the personnel for it, they just have to be focused and buy in.

Also, we need a vocal leader on the floor.

Also, Mark Smith is going to be special.

As I said in the poll thread, you guys thinking we are dancing somewhere are putting a lot into Alstork. He needs to completely turn it around for this team to be successful. Good thing this wasn't Southern...

Stolen from @IlliniToffee but...

"In a way it's impressive to have the worst teams in the conference in both revenue sports"

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
The team seems to understand that they need to play fast. But they're not comfortable making the correct reads yet. That should get better with practice.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Everyone should keep in mind that Underwood’s Oklahoma State team did not start out too hot last year. But unlike previous coaches we’ve had, his teams tend to get better throughout the season. At least in the small sample size we have.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Smith, Lucas, Kipper, Black, Finke, Alstork.

We aren't 10 deep. We're about 6 deep right now.

No clue what Underwood is going to do this year. We are going to get eaten alive in the paint.

Step back from the ledge, gentlemen. Sure, we would have rather won, but I didn't see any kinks in this game that can't be straightened with practice and discipline. We get the parts in place, and this team is gonna be good - we've got the personnel for it, they just have to be focused and buy in.

Also, we need a vocal leader on the floor.

Also, Mark Smith is going to be special.

the only thing good about this game was it didn't count. nothing else. If you want to try to make believe that this team will be good thats fine ,but they are a very long way from just being ok. Not one thing did I see that make me all that excited except for, our Coach doent seem like he is going to let this kind of game keep happening unless our players are just not as good as we all hoped

breadman

Herndon, VA
As I mentioned towards the end of the game thread, Finke and Black need to put their Tisdale and Davis man pants on. They can dominate the boards, but for some reason, they have not been coached to do that. Henson would have loved coaching these guys to control the boards. He was our coach that knew how to do that.

We need to bribe Matt to hide these FB Periscope videos until after Nov. 8... :)

Deleted member 236589

D
As I said in the poll thread, you guys thinking we are dancing somewhere are putting a lot into Alstork. He needs to completely turn it around for this team to be successful. Good thing this wasn't Southern...

This is a complete rebuild. This is a developmental year for a team with a new head coach, an entirely new roster and a completely new system.

These guys are not in the kind of shape, YET, to do what he is asking them to do. One step at a time.

Not really upset by the loss; more upset by the evidence that we haven't addressed some of the fundamental issues that we faced in the recent past, including the tendency to foul rather than move our feet on defense, the tendency to come out flat/no emotion after halftime, and the tendency to play hero ball/stray from the offense at crucial times.

In the first half, I think we got something like 34 shot attempts in 38 possession. For the game, we had 60 in 79 possessions, so the second half was 26 shot attempts in 41 possessions.

But we have a bunch of practice time between now and next week, and then some home games, so we have time to build our confidence and address issues.

Not worried at all...exhibitions are glorified practice games where you work on things you worked on back at the home gym...yes we have things to work on while everyone adjusts to a new coach and system...work in progress...As a coach myself I am going to enjoy watching and experiencing the development...the journey can be more important than the results at this early stage

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
Altenberger nailed it, just now. Once we lost the lead, all of the guards starting trying to go 1:1 to get us back on top. Turnovers galore! It looked awful, like a bad HS team.

As I mentioned towards the end of the game thread, Finke and Black need to put their Tisdale and Davis man pants on. They can dominate the boards, but for some reason, they have not been coached to do that. Henson would have loved coaching these guys to control the boards. He was our coach that knew how to do that.

They cannot defend or grab rebounds because we left one big in the paint all time... Perimeters players all push up to 3 steps out 3pt line....

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
If Illinois had played the game the way EIU played/looked, we'd be feeling pretty damned good about the upcoming season! (EIU looked really good and did many of the things BU's offense is advertised to do.)

Underwood is going to have a lot of bad habits to break from this team and the influence of John Groce. Getting rid of that garbage 1 on 1 stuff and truly get this team to play with toughness, grit, and a will to win.