EIU 80, Illinois 67 (Exhibition) POSTGAME

PJD86

Texas
In the poll from another thread, I picked us to go to the NIT this year.
These guys are learning a totally new system and are not playing without having to think about it yet.
This team was picked to finish 12th for a reason as you say, but I expect us to finish 9th/10th this year, and be much better in February than they are now.

Completely reasonable. I think high end we get exactly where you said (low end, last). Definitely not pie in the sky.

Anyone remember the run with Sergio and company in the B10 tourney only to fall short to Cleeves and MSU?

That's this years team IMO

BlindLoyalty

FartNoiseMotivation
Like Brad Underwood, I also was not surprised by the exhibition loss at the hands of Eastern Illinois.

The good news is that the noncon schedule is quite poor and that should improve confidence (and help the W column). The bad news is that an injury or two could torpedo a season that most view as a bottom of the B10 finish to outright noncompetitive. I expect growth/development from the first year players and an overall culture change w/i the program, nothing more.

How the hell does Finke as the tallest player on the team have 0 rebounds all game? Seems like he's trying to play the 2 or 3 in a "positionless" team that really needs a 4 or 5.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
All this taught me was there is no way I am going anywhere near in game or immediate post game threads this year.

The defense is going to be rough this year until it starts to click. The offense hopefully will get better as well as time goes by. No one on this team has played this offense or defense before, and half the team hasn't even played a college game before. Patience is going to be needed. Luckily we have an easy preseason and can hopefully get through that relatively unscathed and this team can learn a ton along the way.

Im not really ready to take anything from these exhibitions games yet . The result should not be surprising as EIU returns at least 5 players from their rotation last year including several starters and the rest of the squad is filled out with quite a few Juco transfers.

True, but it was a tenth place team in a weak 12 team Ohio Valley Conference. We may not face a weaker opponent this year.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I'm not quite sure Underwood scheduling an exhibition against Eastern Illinois in Charleston is the same as Brooks scheduling the Russians at Madison Square Garden.

It’s been a while since I saw the movie. What was the outside the bus scene? I’ve seen the Herb Brooks method used and this seems a lot like it.

1 grad student,3 juniors,2 sophomores,5 freshman and people are surprised that they were not ready as a group?
They have practiced little more than 1 month together and this is first time in real game play. takes time for them all to get on same page and EIU wanted it more. Practice for them this week will be hell, and BU will get to teach. Just got BTN plus ready for the real season to start on Friday. Glad this game was played , going up from here.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
True, but it was a tenth place team in a weak 12 team Ohio Valley Conference. We may not face a weaker opponent this year.

EIU is currently KenPom 205.
UIUC is currently KenPom 104

On our schedule are the following, grouped into opponents over 200 KenPom and opponents over 105 KenPom

11/10 - SIU - 330
11/12 - UT-M - 264
11/24 - NC Central - 287
12/06 - Austin Peay - 322
12/09 - Longwood - 337

11/19 -Marshall - 191
12/09 - UNLV - 172
12/16 - NM State - 112
12/30 - GCU - 141
1/30 & 2/25 - Rutgers - 125

This was an exhibition, nothing more.

Relax

I know we were all disappointed in last nights result but when you look at the Boxscore some numbers stand out. We outrebounded EIU, created one more TO than EIU, and had one mote steal than EIU. Our major failure was shooting 25% on 3PT shots and allowing EIU to shoot 52% on 3PT shots. Our Shots will fall over time and I have confidence BU will instill more defensive intensity. I don't think we will have a banner year but 18 wins and a successful run in NIT would be a reasonably good start for BU given teams deficiencies.

On our schedule are the following, grouped into opponents over 200 KenPom and opponents over 105 KenPom

11/10 - SIU - 330
11/12 - UT-M - 264
11/24 - NC Central - 287
12/09 - Longwood - 337

11/19 -Marshall - 191
12/09 - UNLV - 172
12/16 - NM State - 112
12/30 - GCU - 141

Goodness, I take it back. This looks like a John Groce nonconference schedule.

11/10 - SIU - 330
11/12 - UT-M - 264
11/24 - NC Central - 287
12/09 - Longwood - 337

11/19 -Marshall - 191
12/09 - UNLV - 172
12/16 - NM State - 112
12/30 - GCU - 141

I thought we played Southern Univ on Friday...is it SIU (Salukis)?

I’m not being critical of you, but those expectations were generated here. Not in any basis of reality. I think we will get there but it could be rough for a while.

This is spot on!!!! Whoever thought this team was capable of finishing in the top 5 of the big ten and make the ncaa tourney are delusional. Yet here I've seen hundreds of such posts. Do I hope that happens? Of course. Do I expect it? Not a chance. Not fair to Underwood or this team

This game with EIU was the best thing that could ever happen for this team right now.

Reality check- Time to learn and grow.

ILLINI - Don't you dare go out and lose to the Southern Jaguars ranked 300 or so to start this season.

So did anyone at least get some decent pizza last night ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone remember the run with Sergio and company in the B10 tourney only to fall short to Cleeves and MSU?

That's this years team IMO

It was 1999, finished last in the B1G but made a run in the conference tournament. I hope we do not do that bad in the B1G this year.

The next year (2000) the team got a lot better, but it also coincided with the infusion of 3 McD AAs who quickly asserted themselves in the main rotation (Frankie, Cook, and Marcus). Unfortunately, even with Ayo, we will likely not have that talent coming in next year.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
This is spot on!!!! Whoever thought this team was capable of finishing in the top 5 of the big ten and make the ncaa tourney are delusional. Yet here I've seen hundreds of such posts. Do I hope that happens? Of course. Do I expect it? Not a chance. Not fair to Underwood or this team

Top five would be nice but I don't think many of us expect that. But, goals and expectations should always be set beyond the realistic. BU himself said he expects to make the tourney. I guarantee that every single player on this team expects to make the tourney. That should be the absolute minimum expectation each and every year, it's mine.

So typical of this board to try and rationalize a really ugly early season performance. Just like how people said we had a shot at a bowl game after we barely beat Ball State in football. Don't get me wrong, I think we'll get better over time. But this loss is disappointing and my expectations for the season definitely went down because of it. Hope I'm wrong and this was just a fluke.

Also, I didn't see the game but what was the crowd like? A rowdy away crowd definitely could have been the difference for a young team.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
So typical of this board to try and rationalize a really ugly early season performance. Just like how people said we had a shot at a bowl game after we barely beat Ball State in football. Don't get me wrong, I think we'll get better over time. But this loss is disappointing and my expectations for the season definitely went down because of it. Hope I'm wrong and this was just a fluke.

Also, I didn't see the game but what was the crowd like? A rowdy away crowd definitely could have been the difference for a young team.

I think it's even more typical of the board to immediately self destruct over an exhibition game loss