EIU Men's Basketball

Normal, Illinois
As a current EIU student, I think it's time to start paying attention to what Jay Spoonhour is doing here with the men's basketball team. As of now they're 11-6 and have started 5-0 in OVC play (first time ever), currently have an RPI of 126 (compared to the 290ish range they have been the past two seasons), are ranked 196th in the KenPom rankings (compared to 290 in previous seasons as well), and are coming off impressive wins against Belmont and Eastern Kentucky. It's still too early to tell exactly how this team will do the rest of the season considering they have had a lot of close wins that could have easily resulted in losses, but considering the scrap heap of a program that Spoonhour inherited two years ago, it's time to applaud him for the work he has done and the positive effect it should have on Illinois college basketball considering how mediocre it has been statewide these past few seasons.

As a current EIU student, I think it's time to start paying attention to what Jay Spoonhour is doing here with the men's basketball team. As of now they're 11-6 and have started 5-0 in OVC play (first time ever), currently have an RPI of 126 (compared to the 290ish range they have been the past two seasons), are ranked 196th in the KenPom rankings (compared to 290 in previous seasons as well), and are coming off impressive wins against Belmont and Eastern Kentucky. It's still too early to tell exactly how this team will do the rest of the season considering they have had a lot of close wins that could have easily resulted in losses, but considering the scrap heap of a program that Spoonhour inherited two years ago, it's time to applaud him for the work he has done and the positive effect it should have on Illinois college basketball considering how mediocre it has been statewide these past few seasons.
It'll go up after this win, the site hasn't updated yet.

Geneva, IL
Was at EIU when they went to the tourney and played Arizona. That was a pretty good team. It's good to see their back at it.

Aurora, IL
Great to see them doing well, especially in a year they weren't predicted to do much in the OVC.

I was a sophomore at EIU the year they went to the dance in the early 90's and lost to Indiana. A lot of the team lived on the same floor as me at Thomas Hall. Was very cool to watch them on TV on CBS, even in a losing effort. I hope they become a consistent winner.

Fairfield, IL
It's pretty incredible how the basketball team is doing well now. Too bad I graduated in Summer of 2014, because I'm not doing media or watching the games at Lantz anymore.

Think they were picked third or fourth in the OVC West. Still early and plenty more conference games to go, but it's good to see them having success and it's not going unnoticed.

All of the OVC games that EIU has can be seen on ovcdigitalnetwork.com including tomorrow afternoon's game at Morehead State with tip off set for 1PM. EIU's roster is made up of 9 transfers including 6 JUCOS. Their best player in conference play has been Chris Olivier, the Northern Iowa transfer, who is averaging 16.2 points in conference games thus far.

If the Panthers win tomorrow, then this Thursday's home game vs. Murray State becomes a HUGE game in this early part of the conference season. That game Thursday night will be on the CBS Sports Network.

Last edited:
I could not be any more happy for my alma mater and especially happy for Coach Spoonhour. I wish him continued success, a great coach and a great person!

Their game against Murray State this Thursday is going to be HUGE. Hopefully there will be a nice student turnout for it. Having the game being nationally televised should help a little.

Fairfield, IL
EIU knocks off Morehead State. Trailed for the majority of the ball game, but fought back to get the win. 6-0 in OVC play.

Murray State is tough. Battle for the OVC West and the title perhaps.

EIU knocks off Morehead State. Trailed for the majority of the ball game, but fought back to get the win. 6-0 in OVC play.

Murray State is tough. Battle for the OVC West and the title perhaps.
OVC West for sure. Not really battling for the title (unless you count a regular season title). The result of this game could be huge though in terms of seeding purposes for the OVC tournament in early March.