Elite Eight Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9739

D
Edwards' decision making at the end left a lot to be desired. Shooting a long 3 when you only need 2. Then a bad pass instead of dribbling up and taking the final shot.

Kudos to Purdue though for a good season and representing the BIG.

Nobody else on Purdue's roster scored in double digits. This kills the basketball team.

Good lord. I can't imagine if this was Illinois. I'm so invested in this Purdue game. I can't even imagine if it was a team I actually like...

This x1000. Good thing Illinois didn't lose a F4 trip this way. I'd be inconsolable for months.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
Painter needed a better play on that last possession. Some sort of give and go pick with Edwards. Just letting him get run into the sideline with no help was not ideal.

Hell of a game.

APS iMBA

Urbana, IL
What. A. Game... Hopefully MSU can make it into the Final Four. The Big Ten needs to be represented there. If its a team we beat this year, all the better.

I still believe that Haarms is criminally underutilized for Purdue. Edwards was sensational, but I think they needed to play through Haarms more. Edwards does things other players can't but just as much as he giveth he also taketh away with poor shot selection (aka being down 1 and chucking a contested 3). Hard to fault the guy, but that was a poor choice.

I still believe that Haarms is criminally underutilized for Purdue. Edwards was sensational, but I think they needed to play through Haarms more. Edwards does things other players can't but just as much as he giveth he also taketh away with poor shot selection (aka being down 1 and chucking a contested 3). Hard to fault the guy, but that was a poor choice.

Typically yes, but tonight it seemed that Diakite(sp?) & Salt had him tied up pretty well. Haarms did not seem to be as open or able to move if he had the ball. Cline did not seem as involved either. If he had an open shot, he typically passed which is different than how he played against TN.

However, on a curious level. Is there a percentage of win/loss games where at the end of regulation Matt Painter elected to foul to prevent the 3 point shot? Would think that would be the right call 90+ percent of the time. Tho obviously as it went, completely backfired.

Good point on that foul up 3. At the moment I thought it was a great call, obviously that back fired lol. I do think it's better to foul with a little less time than 6 seconds though.

I watched this game in a room full of screaming kids so may have missed something, but didn’t UVA tip the ball into the backcourt at the end of regulation? Or did I miss something there?

I watched this game in a room full of screaming kids so may have missed something, but didn’t UVA tip the ball into the backcourt at the end of regulation? Or did I miss something there?
They did, but it's still considered a loose ball and therefore not a backcourt violation. Technically they don't count that as possession. Although, IMO, a controlled tip is close enough to possession that I think it should be counted. I'm pretty sure controlled tips are sometimes counted as rebounds.

Deleted member 11241

D

I seen a couple friends talking about that on FB. I thought because it was a loose ball rebound off a missed free throw that it didn't matter. I might be wrong though

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
I can't think of a tougher way to lose an Elite 8 game. I've never liked Purdue, but I feel bad for them. I like their team this year. Carson Edwards is a special player. But he shouldn't have passed on that last play. He still 4+ seconds. Keeping dribbling and take a 3 at the buzzer. Purdue would have won if Kline made the second free throw. Oh well. MSU-Duke will be interesting.

the national

the Front Range
Great day of basketball. I’ve been waiting for this. The Tenn-Purdue and Tenn-Iowa games were fun but today was at another level.

But he shouldn't have passed on that last play.

When the camera was overhead of the sideline before the play, that seemed to be what Painter was drawing up on the white board. To pass to where Cline rolled out to.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
When the camera was overhead of the sideline before the play, that seemed to be what Painter was drawing up on the white board. To pass to where Cline rolled out to.

I thought Virginia would foul before Edwards could get a 3 pt shot off. Guessing that was the thought of getting the ball to Cline?

Painter blew it by fouling, and then leaving Eifert in there to rebound, instead of bringing in Williams. What a joke!

Painter blew it by fouling, and then leaving Eifert in there to rebound, instead of bringing in Williams. What a joke!
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Eifert made the rebound in regulation that could've sealed the game had Cline made both free throws.

Status
Not open for further replies.